Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safely getting the powder out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Shoot them. The powder isn’t practical to use for reloading.
    But the free primers are.
    R.D.M.

Primers are free but if you can get the powder out punch the primers too. Too much processing to leave the primers in! Yes I'm careful when trimming cases with primer but you should wash the cases too. Remember, heat ignites powder!
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    The Redding 300 blk form and trim die is how I cut open live 5.56 blanks. Cheap fine tooth saw from Amazon, file the burr on the die, then dump the powder out. I used to use a cheap tubing cutter and a Lee trim base (that screws onto your drill) too.

Both viable and tedious work.

If you have military brass, the primers are staked in. Barring the possibility of detonating a crimped primer, the reliability of using the salvaged primers is suspect after the anvil is crushed against the cup with enough force to deprime the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    If you have military brass, the primers are staked in. Barring the possibility of detonating a crimped primer, the reliability of using the salvaged primers is suspect after the anvil is crushed against the cup with enough force to deprime the cases.
    Crimped primers throws a kink in the safe removal of live primers so they can be usable. Don't know if it's doable or not.

On the other hand, I've done a 1000+ primer salvages over the years on commercial ammo.

700 dead guy 44 mag large pistol primers in one sitting. Plus groups of other odd and unknown history ammo that came my way. Most were shot up either as fire forming fodder or plinker stuff. Can't remember a failure to fire yet.

Not even the batch of .243 that spent an undefined amount of time under water. Worked just fine blowing out I think 7mm mag's to .458 Win mag's.

Just wouldn't use them in a match.

Guess you need to try and see if it's doable. Only commercial primers I lost were 4-5 that lost the anvil during the depriming. And those were during the learning curve on how much and how fast to deprime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12