Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: 1912 Chilean Steyr rifle

Boolit Mold

Lightbulb 1912 Chilean Steyr rifle

Time to put on the calculating / thinking caps, people....

Just picked up 1912 Chilean Steyr rifle, curious if anybody out there knows if / which one is feasible / best option = if re-chambering for .30-06 or 7.62 x 51 NATO will work on a 7mm x 57 Steyr ?

I have Brazilian 1908 Mauser that I had re-chambered back in 1987 for 7.62 NATO, it's my absolute favorite boolit throwing tube !

Also have an Eddystone Model 1917 Remington Enfield in . 30-06, so the Steyr needs to be one of these 2 calibers to keep my ammo supply standardized.

Anybody have an answer or guidance for me ?

Semper Fi !

Why would you change it? 7mm is a great round. Especially if it's in good shape.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldawg365 View Post
    ...1912 Chilean Steyr rifle, curious if anybody out there knows if / which one is feasible / best option = if re-chambering for .30-06 or 7.62 x 51 NATO will work on a 7mm x 57 Steyr ?

Semper Fi !
    Excellent rifle, excellent action. Entirely suitable for .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Have seen both calibers on Steyr 1912 actions. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    If it's 7X57 a rechamber won't work to get a .308 or .30/06. You will need to rebarrel. Bore diameter is different between 7X57 (.284) vs. .308 for the other two. The 1912 action would handle the .308 okay, may need to notch the front receiver ring for .30/06, IF it will even fit in the magazine box length-wise.

Just my 2 cents. Many (if not most) of the 1912 Steyr mausers were rebarelled to .308. I used to own one (wish I still had it). The ones still in 7x57 are more rare and IMHO much more desireable. Please, do not rebore/rechamber/rebarrel it. If you don't want the 7x57 sell it to someone who does and buy another gun in the caliber you want. There are plenty of already modified mausers out there, milsurps in good condition in their original chambering are getting harder to find.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with Grizzleebear. Maybe you can find someone that would trade you a 308 for your 7mm . I have both the rifle and carbine in 308 but I already have a 7mm.

Boolit Master
    A set of 7x57 reloading dies and a sack of Mauser brass is way cheaper than a new barrel. The 7x57 is an excellent caliber, especially in a Mauser. I've built 3 Mauser sporters in this caliber, and am about to start on my 4th. If the 1912 Steyr is in decent condition I suggest that you keep it as a 7x57. If you choose to sporterize the action, then I also suggest that you build it as a 7x57. Either way I think that you'll be pleased.

Boolit Buddy
    7X57 is the way to go; don't change a thing!..........................