Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have became my grandfather

Boolit Master
    my grandfather spent most of his time in an old Chesterfield armchair............I remember he always wore slippers with the toes cut out of them ,and had very long yellow toenails...his other shoes were rubber gumboots he wore driving up the cows....again with the toes cut out...and one tooth ...just one......he lived to be well over 90,and grandmother lived to 104...............He was born in 1885,so most of my memories are from when I was quite young,and he was quite old.

I once remarked to a lady co-worker that we all turn in to our own parents. She gave me a horrified look.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I'm certain that a lot of you can relate to this. When I was growing up, I was not allowed to go anywhere 'respectable' while wearing blue jeans. I had to change into different pants before we left home. Also, my mother did not drive, so she had to ride the city bus to go anywhere. I vividly recall her always wearing a scarf over her hair when we went 'downtown.' She was a Kansas farm girl, raised during the 1920s and 30s. My, how our world has changed since then.
    A few months at my then-new job (~1971) I was called into bosses office and severely redownded for wearing jeans to work! He voiced that "dungarees" were the trousers of choice of the really, really poor as well as mis-fits during his depression-time youth, and I would no longer be permitted to wear them. (My job included cleaning bottom pans of caged rats, mice, guinea pigs, and pigeons in a animal-behaviour lab -- quite appropriate clothing, imho). I went "to work" exploring any in-writing rules and regulations governing work attire, and finding NONE -- I both joined/became a strong union member; and... went back to wearing my jeans. A fellow worker (a lady) joined my jean-wearing. Boss fumed, but -- was powerless to enforce his demand.
    "Clothes" -- the root of this thread -- appears, imho, a subject of the eyes of the beholder. 74 years of age, I still "dress" to go shopping; to church; and the like. I still recall a few years back when a wood-splitter hydraulic hose let loose and I had to make a real run to store: The first thing I did was apologize and explain my (disheveled) appearance.
    Yes! Times have indeed changed!

Boolit Master
    I spent enough time in Uncle Sam’s Navy being told what to wear. I was raised in a hard shell baptist house and told what to wear. Got my education and went to work, was told what to wear. Retired and the wife tells me what to wear! Don’t understand why someone isn’t telling these young people what to wear!!!

Boolit Master

I think one of the best things that has happened to our society is switching to more comfortable clothes. I too remember when teachers, department store workers, etc. wore suits and ties. For what reason? "Dressing up" costs more, is harder to maintain and is uncomfortable.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I think one of the best things that has happened to our society is switching to more comfortable clothes. I too remember when teachers, department store workers, etc. wore suits and ties. For what reason? "Dressing up" costs more, is harder to maintain and is uncomfortable.
    I very much respect your way of looking at it, Ickisrulz, which may in fact reinforce my having become an "old fart"! However, for one of my recent medical lab blood-draws, the Phlebotomist who did the procedure was a young lady -- my guess in very early 20's -- who had jewelry pierced through an eye-brow; another (a horseshoe) through her lower lip; a pearl through one cheek; and, another gem through a nostril. She had multiple earrings, too. Complemented was JET black hair, black lipstick, and black what-we-used-to-call "peddle-pushers" -- also black -- pants. She did (phew!) have the hospital scrub top on, though. Her inch-long fingernails were each painted different colors/patterns, too. My thoughts included both Halloween being a couple of months away ; and, if I should feel relaxed with her sticking a needle in me to draw some of my blood? (Turned out all went OK )
    Fred Rogers ("Mr. Rogers Neighborhood) often professed that he ONLY wore long sleeved, button shirts, as they were part of the image -- respect! -- he hoped to maintain with his (child-) audience.
    Again... once again "just me" I suspect -- but imho there WAS something when the Texaco attendant came out to fill your truck wearing a uniform... The (male) bank tellers wearing button shirts with ties; and the school teachers being semi-formally attired... 'Specially in education environments, at least the thoughts and theories included their teachers being ROLE MODELS -- for the students to emulate in later years.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Many years ago,the foremen used to wear suit coats,waistcoats,white shirts and ties..........and I doubt any of them were ever washed .........the ties were always rolled up from contact with who knows what,white shirts definitely off white,and the waistcoats and coats were literally filthy ......but they always wore them.....no doubt it was the rule written down somewhere ...just like not being one minute late.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Many years ago,the foremen used to wear suit coats,waistcoats,white shirts and ties..
    Go back a little farther and almost everybody did.
    My Grandfather wouldn't leave the house unless he was wearing a suit or in his Police Officer uniform.

The Hollywood image of townspeople in Western movies is wrong.
    Everybody in down was well dressed unless you were some sort of laborer.

In one of the documentaries about the shoot out at the OK corral
    the narrator made the observation that in the only picture of Ike Clanton- the bad guy, he was wearing a suit. In the picture taken when the East & West railroads were joined, everybody there is wearing a suit or nice clothes.

Everything has gotten more casual, for lack of a better word.
    As late as the early 70s, if you drove a pick up truck into town and didn't load it up-- you were some sort of poor, hick, farmer.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-18-2022 at 09:59 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

In my retirement, I've noticed that I spend a Lot of time piling up downfall from trees into bonfire piles- just like Granddad did!
    I just wish that him or Dad( or both) were here to help. And I wish that I could smell the smoke!
    To the OP- I'm pretty sure that your Granddad would be proud of you.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Mostly I remember my grandparents complaining about how young people had no common sense, we're impolite, had no work ethic and dressed poorly.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

They also fretted quite a bit about how these kids were going to be in charge of the country in a few decades. It does appear there was good reason to worry about that.

Boolit Buddy
    From working in a school I got to see a lot of the young ones, who seem to been raised with no morals.
    It is tough not to want to say something. Parents no days seem like they don’t even care if there child even cuss them out, they think it is cute. Enough said by me.. I was 20 yrs. Army and my father was Airborne.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Buddy
    Not one comment about that old song???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Not one comment about that old song???
    hum a few bars and we will try to follow along

Quote Originally Posted by Dekota56 View Post
    From working in a school I got to see a lot of the young ones, who seem to been raised with no morals.
    It is tough not to want to say something. Parents no days seem like they don’t even care if there child even cuss them out, they think it is cute. Enough said by me.. I was 20 yrs. Army and my father was Airborne.
    I've found that I prefer to keep as much distance as practical between myself and the public in general. Too many folks worried about things that I've learned don't matter and not nearly enough worried about things that do. There are a whole bunch of people with all kinds of problems and most all of 'em don't seem to be the least bit interested in doing anything to REALLY improve themselves or their situation.

So it goes.

Times have changed, and will again. The things that haven't changed, are class and respect.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Murphy
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-23-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've found that I prefer to keep as much distance as practical between myself and the public in general. Too many folks worried about things that I've learned don't matter and not nearly enough worried about things that do. There are a whole bunch of people with all kinds of problems and most all of 'em don't seem to be the least bit interested in doing anything to REALLY improve themselves or their situation.

So it goes.
    That's it in a nutshell.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    There is no doubt that dress standards were maintained......up to about 1970 ,I suspect maybe the spagetti westerns where the main characters wore dirty underwear for the whole movie might have had something to do with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    There is no doubt that dress standards were maintained......up to about 1970 ,I suspect maybe the spagetti westerns where the main characters wore dirty underwear for the whole movie might have had something to do with it.
    Maybe. Tucco did put his dirty rags back on after taking a bath.

Boolit Master
    Last time I wore a suit and tie was as a salesman in the 70s. Some of the "pants" I've seen of late look like pajama bottoms. Had a big argument with my grandmother wearing a suit to church called me a heathen for not wearing one,I asked how many 3 piece suits were around Jesus' day and did he not lay into religious leaders who were wearing such garments for show.

Boolit Master

I can get past the ear gauges and other facial disfigurement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast