Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Triple 7 in a flintlock?

Triple 7 in a flintlock?

Has anyone tried to use Triple 7 in a flintlock? Due to the unavailability of Black powder I was wondering if this is a viable alternative or a waste of time and money. I'd planned to use Black powder in the pan and Triple 7 for the main charge. Rifle is a .32 caliber so if I tried it I'd use the 3F alternative.

Boolit Master
    Put a “booster” charge of 4g of black powder in the barrel first and put the T7 on top. Then use real black in the pan.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Put a “booster” charge of 4g of black powder in the barrel first and put the T7 on top. Then use real black in the pan.
    REAL black powder being "unobtainium" in my neck of the woods, this is pretty much what I am loading now.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    It will work, as stated above, a booster charge of black powder around 5 grains, doesn't have to be 4f, 3f will do it. Black powder in the pan, again 3f works great. T7 has a tendency to leave a crud ring just below the muzzle. It also is a more energetic powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit1957 View Post
    It will work, as stated above, a booster charge of black powder around 5 grains, doesn't have to be 4f, 3f will do it. Black powder in the pan, again 3f works great. T7 has a tendency to leave a crud ring just below the muzzle. It also is a more energetic powder.
    Crud ring…..YES. I carry a small pump spray bottle filled with Windex w/ammonia. One slightly damp patch followed by a dry patch and problem solved. It’s a pain in the neck, but very effective.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My caplocks set it off no problemo, much better than they ever did with Pyrodex.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    remember that T-7, is 10 % more powerful than regular black of the same amount. so cut it back.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    REAL black powder being "unobtainium" in my neck of the woods, this is pretty much what I am loading now.
    Just order some real black powder through the mail. Easy Peasy. They deliver it right to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Just order some real black powder through the mail. Easy Peasy. They deliver it right to your door.
    When was the last time you tried that?

Boolit Master
    If you just want booster powder check out the home made BP thread. You don't need a press or anything fancy. You can buy components online, mix and screen. If you can bake cookies you can make a primitive form of BP to boost your charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    When was the last time you tried that?
    Last year

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Last year
    You are very lucky then. I have friends who have been looking for well over a year and can't find anything but substitutes. Myself included.

Boolit Master
    Booster charge should work. I have used a booster charge of 12g FFFFg under Pyrodex in.54 T-C Hawken for elk hunting, works very well.

Looking for blackpowder? Look at this: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum...?topic=73332.0

Boolit Master
    why 12 grs. an odd amount, and not round it off to 10 grs? what difference would 2 grains different make? just courious?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    You are very lucky then. I have friends who have been looking for well over a year and can't find anything but substitutes. Myself included.
    Not hard to find.

https://powderinc.com/product/schuet...-black-powder/

https://www.buffaloarms.com/black-powder.html

Boolit Master
    For toot - 12 grains is the amount the little spout on the '31 caliber' pistol flask dispensed.

Boolit Master
    MostlyLeverGuns, thank you sir for the reply to my question, now it makes sense to me. 12 instead of 10 grs. I also have one of them little 31 cal. flask's with an EAGLE on it, that I use for pan priming in my flintlock's. toot.

Boolit Master
    thank's guys, I have tried your help with a booster load, & it worked fine with APP-T-7-BLACK GOLD-PYRODEX-and others that I tried with a booster charge. as long as BP, is used as a pan charge. toot.

Boolit Buddy
    Black Powder is readily available mail order. You'll have to pay hazmat and shipping but if you pool your order with a local reenactor group or black powder club, it won't be near the problem you think. Most of us in the N-SSA just buy from Back Creek Gun Shop at the exit to our main range in Winchester. We often buy it in case lots. Upshot is, if you take the time, you'll find it.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor