Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A paradigm shift in hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    And don't forget-- most of those deer were taken without a scope. I was out at the range one day with my win 94 shooting 3" gongs at 100 yards when a couple showed up to sight in their scoped rifle for deer hunting. They saw me hit a few gongs and asked me how I did that. "How can you hit anything without a scope??" I didn't bother to tell them 3" at 100 yards is not particularly remarkable for a 30-30.
    We don't all have young eyes/good eyesight! Without a scope I can't see the target at 100 yards LOL well I can see a blur...

Moderator Emeritus

I used to shoot the old rifles... then had rotator cuff surgery twice on the same shoulder. And an un-repaired tear on the other so I can't switch. So I am a wee bit recoil sensitive. The AR platform offered a good low recoil platform to work with. .223 for small feral hogs, coyotes, prairie dogs... and 6.5 Grendel for 'yotes past 200 yards(common here, shooting over open farm fields in fall) and deer. A larger caliber isn't needed for the hunting I still do. I can shoot the AR rifles all day and only have a little shoulder pain the next day. 20 rounds of 7.62x54r from my type 53 on an Archangel stock and my shoulder HURTS. And the modern stock helps control some recoil versus the old metal butt plate military stock.

Gotta do what you gotta do to keep shooting! If that means semi auto so be it!

Boolit Master
    Back in the day seen a 32H&R mag case necked to 30cal and a 220 gr Match King stuck in the end. Really whacked steel targets at 200 yards.

There was/is a 7mmJI which is a 221 Fireball case necked to 7mm and depending on the twist a 140-180 gr bullet seated.

Both these cartridges are from better than 25 years ago.

Ain't much new out there.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 09-26-2022 at 03:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wildcatting is a hobby, and new calibers with carefully crafted media reports sell guns. Besides, most Americans moved from what they need to what they want so long ago that they can’t even imagine that there is a difference.

Boolit Master
    Lever, Bolt, AR... It's just a different platform. Compare a .30-30 to a new popular cartridge like 350 Legend. Ballistics wise it's basically the same thing just packaged differently. I'm not sure how much of an advantage a 30 round magazine is? I imagine most animals will be running away after 1 or 2 shots have been fired.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Lever, Bolt, AR... It's just a different platform. Compare a .30-30 to a new popular cartridge like 350 Legend. Ballistics wise it's basically the same thing just packaged differently. I'm not sure how much of an advantage a 30 round magazine is? I imagine most animals will be running away after 1 or 2 shots have been fired.
    When you have a sounder of 20+ feral hogs a 30 rounder is handy, same on a pack of 5+ coyotes that have an uncanny ability to crouch or jump just as a bullet is fired so lots of misses and a town of prairie dogs. All cases where shoot fast and try to kill as many as possible is the rule!

Boolit Master

Re: A paradigm shift in hunting

[QUOTE=Wolfdog91;5458702]Thought this was interesting. Personally I love wacky just out there stuff

All cool stuff I agree. Paradigm shift though? Folks have been wildcatting smokeless cartridges for about 100 years. It has been going on constantly. a Paradigm shift is more like a radical, abrupt, shocking change that should result in everyone adopting, climbing on board, and dumping their old ways. I don't see that happening with this stuff.

There is no reason to not shoot cast on hogs and feral dogs both through an AR. We have had packs of both show up now and then, and both are real pests. Usually dogs are throw outs that pack up and kill small livestock and pets. Wild hogs are just destructive to the exreme.
    This is my light hog gun, on left, a 358 MGP w 200 grain cast plain base powder coated. 2,500 fps. It is good for about any hog or dog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6F40E832-C434-45C4-8E33-6D0BF6F5E42F.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12