MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Questions regarding USGI ALICE Gear

Questions regarding USGI ALICE Gear

I've been putting together a frankenstein'd together USGI ALICE suspension system for myself. I'm aiming for a late 80's\Pre MOLLE 90s' look. Why ALICE? mainly because I really appreciate the aesthetics. It's easy to put on and take off, and it allows for a surpising amount of adjustability and backward compatibility with older US equipment as well.

I've got a question regarding repairing a Small Arms Ammunition Case:
    Some of the surplus I've managed to find is not in the best condition, but still quite usable for what I'm doing with it. One of the issues that I'm having is that all of the nylon stringers that separate the magazines and prevent the case from bowing outwards are all torn. Keep in mind, the stringers are all still connected on one side, but they flop loose, and I'd like to attach them again. What would work best to re-connect them? I was suggested that Super Glue would be an easy fix, but I am unsure about doing that.

Another question that I have is pretty simple.
    I've got an un-issued Olive drab AR cleaning kit with an ALICE clip, which has three buttons that contain two velcro'd compartments. Where would be the ideal spot to put it that allows for relatively easy access without crowding anything out? I don't have the iconic Butt Pack (or Field Pack) just yet, and one of the side loops on that pack seems like the ideal place to loop it in.
    PS: If anyone has an ALICE Butt Pack in Olive Drab (or woodland) with good suspender loops, I'd love to have it! Feel free to PM me.

Just one more thing:
    I'm also picking up a M12 Universal Holster for use on my ALICE belt. One question that I have is, where do I store my 2 spare pistol magazines? (These will be 15rnd Beretta M9 Magazines) I suppose I have my pockets, but unless there's an ALICE compatible mag pouch out there to complement the holster, I'm somewhat out of ideas. If you ever wore a pistol with ALICE gear, I'd love to hear where you stored the spare mags!

Thank you very much, and I hope that I can get some of these questions answered! I'd love to hear your opinions about ALICE gear as well.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 09-14-2022 at 04:31 AM.

For the small arms ammo case, I assume you are talking about the one designed to hold three 30rd AR mags and with the grenade pouches on the side. If so, those two nylon dividers were often cut on purpose. Personally, I would cut mine out so that the pouch could hold other items than just magazines. I don't know the best way to repair them - probably be to sew in some new ones with a leather sewing needle.

The AR cleaning kit - I never personally saw anyone wear that externally on their gear. It was always kept inside a back pack or the butt pack.

For the pistol mags, there are tons of options. If you want period correct, it would be the single mag pouch in OD green with snap button flap. They can be found on eBay and surplus shops for a couple bucks. They will hold all sorts of magazines similar in shape and capacity to the M9 mags.

I have mixed opinions of ALICE gear. Some of it worked well and other items were junk. I still love the butt pack and my favorite piece was a commercial copy of the medium ALICE pack. It was an ALICE backpack that was slightly scaled down in size and all black. It was useful and didn't stand out as a military pack when carried in public. I used mine for everyday tasks - hauling stuff to/from work, going to night school, hiking, etc. In general, current issue field gear (and some of the commercial versions) is light years ahead of most of the old ALICE gear.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd leave the dividers out of the mag pouches also. I still like the M61 gear H-harness over the Alice - just seems to provide a bit more support for the buttpack. The ALICE Medium backpack without the frame was my favorite. Did several week-long canoe trips in the Boundary Waters with them and they worked well. Use the dry bag inserts for the main compartment for definite water protection.

Boolit Master
    I agree on leaving the dividers out of the magazine carriers. I tended to reload more quickly (Ar15 & R1/FAL) using carriers in which they were absent, but I could be the exception.
    I managed to take a lot of the "shake rattle & roll" (when running) out of MY set up by running an additional strap and buckle behind the back of the shoulder pads & across my chest. It also gave me an extra place to put mag. carriers, or whatever.
    YMMV
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol, pistol mag pouch & knife go on your pistol belt,, the other stuff goes on your LBE.
    Otherwise,,when you drop your LBE for transport, chow or just need to drop gear and beat feet,,,, your not completely unarmed like a puppy...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    For the small arms ammo case, I assume you are talking about the one designed to hold three 30rd AR mags and with the grenade pouches on the side. If so, those two nylon dividers were often cut on purpose. Personally, I would cut mine out so that the pouch could hold other items than just magazines. I don't know the best way to repair them - probably be to sew in some new ones with a leather sewing needle.

I have mixed opinions of ALICE gear. Some of it worked well and other items were junk. I still love the butt pack and my favorite piece was a commercial copy of the medium ALICE pack. It was an ALICE backpack that was slightly scaled down in size and all black. It was useful and didn't stand out as a military pack when carried in public. I used mine for everyday tasks - hauling stuff to/from work, going to night school, hiking, etc. In general, current issue field gear (and some of the commercial versions) is light years ahead of most of the old ALICE gear.
    Thank you for the insights!
    I totally understand that ALICE is outdated, and if I'm going to meet modern standards for emergency gear, I'm going to need some degree of ballistic protection. For that, I've got a myriad of options to get that done, and the best part is that my ALICE Suspension system can go over whatever body armor I choose for my own needs.
    I'll check my local surplus store for any magazine pouches that they may have lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I agree on leaving the dividers out of the magazine carriers. I tended to reload more quickly (Ar15 & R1/FAL) using carriers in which they were absent, but I could be the exception.
    I managed to take a lot of the "shake rattle & roll" (when running) out of MY set up by running an additional strap and buckle behind the back of the shoulder pads & across my chest. It also gave me an extra place to put mag. carriers, or whatever.
    YMMV

I'm only planning on carrying AR mags in the magazine carriers, which is why I'd like to re-attach the dividers. They seem to provide, as shown on the more intact magazine pouch I have, provide a great deal of support to the canvas. Plus, they keep the magazines where your expect them to be, and allow for easier retention as space is always available to re-insert a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I'd leave the dividers out of the mag pouches also. I still like the M61 gear H-harness over the Alice - just seems to provide a bit more support for the buttpack. The ALICE Medium backpack without the frame was my favorite. Did several week-long canoe trips in the Boundary Waters with them and they worked well. Use the dry bag inserts for the main compartment for definite water protection.
    If you didn't know already, ALICE packs sell for a pretty penny these days. Looks like there are a lot of people out there that appreciate the design!
    I'll still attempt to get those dividers back inside, however.

On another note, what's you or other poster's views on the ALICE entrenching tool? There's plenty of holders for them in stock, but very few tools available on the market.

Boolit Buddy
    The last E-tool of that type that I bought was German. Looks like they are all in short supply at the moment. My preference from a use standpoint is the WWII version strictly from a weight standpoint. It is easier to swing with more force when folded at 90 degrees due to blade weight and handle length.Looks like Moore Militaria has the tri-fold but they're not cheap.

ALICE. I’m remembering that gal made me sweat many times and she wasn’t light either.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    ALICE. I’m remembering that gal made me sweat many times and she wasn’t light either.
    I've got a feeling it wasn't very friendly to wear in humid environments. However, my goal is to have some method of schlepping rifle and pistol equipment while also looking cool and being practical.

I'd reckon any body armor or suspension system is going to make you sweat. Weight isn't too much of an issue so long as it's not wholly unreasonable. Most of the weight is coming from the ammunition and magazines. Augmenting the ALICE system with some style of body armor would likely be best way to bring the whole getup to modern standards.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    The last E-tool of that type that I bought was German. Looks like they are all in short supply at the moment. My preference from a use standpoint is the WWII version strictly from a weight standpoint. It is easier to swing with more force when folded at 90 degrees due to blade weight and handle length.Looks like Moore Militaria has the tri-fold but they're not cheap.
    The nice thing is that I could likely adapt an older E-Tool designed to fit a US pistol belt if I can't manage to find an ALICE era one. Plus, the E-Tool would make an excellent bit of emergency gear for the car.
    I'd assume trying to stay seated with an E-tool shaft sticking out of your side is going to be an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    If you were stripped down to light assault gear you wouldn't need an e-tool. Otherwise, attach the e-tool to your ruck/backpack.

Boolit Master

On ammo pouches, most I saw had dividers removed. We always carried 20 shot mags in two bandoleers with an extra in the ruck and at leat two canteens. Seriously, most of the ammo pouches were used to carry individual boxes of cereal that came with supply runs for snacks. When I was 1SG I've chewed many posteriors for that practice./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....