RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 148gr DEWC vs HBWC

148gr DEWC vs HBWC

I've always loaded 148gr HBWCs for .38 spec and had wonderful results with the classic 2.5 gr of bullseye. Recently I picked up a whole bunch of 148gr DEWC, and after much searching I couldn't quite find a definite answer to my question. Is using data for HBWC safe for DEWC, or do I need to invest in another manual yet again?
    I may be 24, but believe me, I'm past my prime.
    Just a farm boy from the greatest state in the union with a very expensive hobby.

I've used Hornady's HBWC data for cast wad cutters, and it worked fine.
    The cast, being harder might generate a little more pressure, but it's no big deal.

All the data for both is so far under the max. pressures you won't shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

2.5 grs. of Bullseye is just fine for either the swaged HBWC or the cast DEWC .
    Cast wadcutters can be driven a little faster than the softer swaged HBWC , you don't have to worry about blowing off the hollow base skirt .
    I cast my own wadcutters and with a Model 64 S&W 38 special , set up for NRA Bullseye Match target shooting with a red dot sight , did extensive testing ... my cast wadcutters and my revolver liked a charge of 2.7 grains of Bullseye powder ... this load gave the best accuracy ...
    at 75 feet 20 shots would cluster into a 1 3/8 inch dia. ragged hole ... if I did my part , this is from a rest not offhand . Play around with your exact charge of Bullseye if the cast wadcutters don't preform to your accuracy expectations .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-14-2022 at 06:43 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I used to shoot a mess of 148 grain hbwc’s with 2.7 grains of bullseye. They were always very accurate. Now I cast my own. They are bnwc’s, and weigh about the same. I can’t remember the exact weight. I load these with 3.2 grains of bullseye. Both loads are very accurate. I can’t shoot good enough to say one is better than the other.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

The hollow base wad cutters are the best for paper punching. I shot while in the Navy and the mid-range load was the HBWC. I still have the pistol used for the matches and it will not shoot the DEWC bullets worth a darn.
    The loads posted all will shoot well.

You can drive DEWCs a lot harder if you wish. Lyman's cast manual has some fairly spicy data if that is your pleasure.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    In revolvers and 1911, 38 specials I have always had better accuracy with cast wc. Starting on Bullseye for my guns was 2.7 up to 3.0. I have also had great loads with 3.5 plus or minus with HP-38 and Unique. Tightgroup will also work in the Bullseye range of charge weights maybe a tad less. As others have said the cast can be pushed a little harder than the hollow base.
    As far as load manuals go most powder mfg. can be viewed online, but if you do even just a fair amount of cast shooting the Lyman fourth, cast bullet handbook could be the only cast data needed in addition to the online sources.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I have always gone with an article in the NRA Handloading Guide. First of all their normal charge was 2.7 grains of Bullseye. The article stated they found the best accuracy with cast wad cutters rather than swaged wc's.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 09-14-2022 at 12:24 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference in target loads for 38 Special DEWC and HBWD. I cast my DEWC fairly soft and my load, IICR has been 2.9 gr, Bullseye for many years for both. But I have a load for one of my house guns that is a cast DEWC (approx. 12-13 BHN) over a max load of W231. Good accuracy out to 10 yards and I figger the full caliber flat nose would impact with some authority...
    Last edited by mdi; 09-15-2022 at 12:10 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Swaged Remington HBWCs were reputed to give the best accuracy. I have no idea.

3.0-3.5 grains of BE or TG should work fine with the DEWC. Work up to the max, t borders on +P pressure. I’d be hesitant to run full charge with a hollow-base.

DEWCs are my favorite bullet.

Boolit Master

I go ether way, but the double end wadcutters are definitely easier to cast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21515609-E265-4846-994F-B4FBBE9F9E45.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	304647

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E19EC7E8-04A1-4B05-A9CE-00B40BDA944D.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	304648

Boolit Master

My preference is HBWCs over 2.9 TG. MV is 740 out of a 5” barrel. I have a couple thousand DEWCs waiting to be loaded but they’ll be senile by the time my supply of HBWCs to run out.

Moderator Emeritus

What do you want to do with them? A dewc is a great grouse killer on a timber hunt and can be pushed with more authority than a hbwc.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have an old 4 cavity 148 grain wad cutter mould by Lyman I use their data for it 4.3 grains of Red Dot is very accurate in my old S&W Target Master Piece .
    In 2001 I loaded up a bunch to 1100 f/s in .357 cases for my Ruger Security Six they shot very well to 50 yards . By 70 yards they where no longer stabile in flight at 100 yards they could hit 6 feet from aiming point . They where very hard on vermin and small game. These bullets were all cast from wheel weight alloy and lubed with some of the more recent loads being coated and baked for the 38 sp.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.