Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will PC do it?

Boolit Master

Will PC do it?

I just saw an add that might have been on Youtube and then today saw them for sale at Rural King. The specific brand alludes me and can't find google fu. They have a bright red base coating on the bullet so "they claim" you can see where they go during flight. These were 9mm I think. Is anyone able to watch while firing PC coated when using brighter colors? This seems like a gimmick for sure. 20rds cost nearly what the defensive rounds cost.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    You can see some bullets in flight. I've watched .45acp bullets fly down range. IIRC it was when the sun was low behind me.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    At 200 plus yards through a scope maybe once in a while if you don’t blink. Ed gun leshy paints his pellets so they can filmed in slow motion for YouTube and seen easily. If you think you can see boolits traveling consistent at 1200 plus fps you have better eyes than me. I have a video of a bear I shot that I could see the 405 grain boolit fly through the air and strike the bear between the shoulders at 125 plus yards. It was Winchester 405 grain factory ammo that was in a silver box from around 95’. Think the advertised MV was around 1475fps if I remember. Never found that bear either and left zero blood. I have seen 450BM cast boolits strike 100 yard targets through my 14x scope once in a blue moon. I wouldn’t waste a nickel on buying the gimmick rounds.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-13-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I dont think so. Hang a groundpounder by a string and see your hits.

Boolit Master
    I have noted that with decent light I can see slower bullets (38 Sp) zip out to targets even a closer ranges.

I shoot a Lee 120 with an aluminum gas check in 7 TCU. It is moving pretty good (~1900 fps), but the silver base can be seen easily in the spotting scope as it gets out to targets beyond 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

I've spotted in competition for people and have watched many bullets fly. There are times when you can actually see the bullet if flight under certain light conditions. I would imagine that if you were more interested in seeing your bullets fly, then you cannot be focused on your sight picture or follow through.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I used to be able to see pellets from a CO2 pistol, 'specially toward the end of the cylinder. Last few, the trajectory increased with each shot.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    The only time I've seen bullets in flight was while shooting a Mauser converted to shoot 45acp. The sun was low in the afternoon and was behind us. The target we were shooting at was a 3 foot square piece of white cardboard, 50 yards down range, with a 6" spot painted in the middle. We were using a 2.5x scope, and everyone that was shooting could clearly see the bullet rise and fall a little bit on it's fraction of a second ride to the target. Other than that - nope! When shooting anything else, out to 200 yards, by the time the shooter has recovered from the recoil, the bullet has either found it's mark or is moving too fast to see.

I have seen bullets in flight several times. As noted by others, easiest if you are directly behind the path, as if firing or spotting. The bullet will be in the field of view and nearly the same position, for the longest period of time.
    The bigger and or slower the better, and anything distinct that draws attention is an aid: shiny base from jacket or gas check, etc.

44 at 200 yds made me first think I was having some kind of vision or scope issue (bright little spots arcing through vision field) and 22 CBs at 50 yd initially had me thinking there were flies buzzing my target (dark bases). Put it together on the 22 when I noticed the "flies" always were directed at target center and seemed to go away just before I heard the "tick" of the bullet impact... Long time ago. Now I'd recognize it and not think something was up.

Boolit Master
    I've seem a good many but the conditions have to be right and usually a big slow bullet. I'll never forget the first one I saw. My Uncle was shooting a 35 Rem. I was standing to the side and the sun hit it right. I watched that 35 cal copper slug all the way to the 100 yd. target. It almost looked slow and lazy, I could actually see the rainbow trajectory.

Boolit Buddy

I believe what you're thinking of is called "STREAK" ammunition. Its a non incendiary tracer essentially utilizing some sort of glow stick like chemical compound that they claim is only visible from a 30 degree field of view. My personal tests with them, even in low light, is that they aren't worth a hoot.

Vendor Sponsor

Probably will not help see the bullet but the seller can sure see you coming
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    called "STREAK" ammunition
    That's the brand, thanks. I was going back to RK to look again.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    I remember watching 22 shorts flying while shooting quite often , but now I can barely see the targets .

Boolit Master

we see them many times in cowboy action shooting

about 9:30 in morning and as many have already said, the Sun is at our backs.

helps that we're not known for high speed bullets--all we have to do it hit steel, don't have to punch through it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I’ve seen plenty of bullets and boolits in flight. It’s definitely easier with the sun at your back. Using a spotting scope .30-‘06 are visible at Garand velocities. At pistol matches in South Louisiana with dark green vegetation on the berms and the sun behind us, the shiny bases of handgun boolits were very easy to see.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

could just superglue these little gems on the boolit bases. https://www.ccartwright.com/sunshop/...oduct_list&c=2
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

South Central Alaska. on the north gulf coast

Ballistics of PC

I hope this is the place to post this question. I have run three batches of pc on four different boolits I have been testing with lube. I am trying to compare them, but am coming up disappointed with the numbers and speeds and especially accuracy.
    The question. What are the positive attributes of PC suppose to be❓ I’m sure I am missing something.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57B2B6CC-5E36-47D2-86AF-13219A0D15E6.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	305482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD3CD1D4-48D6-4762-A931-43217C6FC5A3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	305483

I cannot answer that , I have had excellent accuracy and velocity with powdercoated bullets. I run a very soft about 8 bhn lead from mild to max in everything with plain base bullets.
    The only time I had problems was with slightly undersized bullets that were very hard until I loaded to max and got enough pressure to obturate them.

South Central Alaska. on the north gulf coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwsbull View Post
    I cannot answer that , I have had excellent accuracy and velocity with powdercoated bullets. I run a very soft about 8 bhn lead from mild to max in everything with plain base bullets.
    The only time I had problems was with slightly undersized bullets that were very hard until I loaded to max and got enough pressure to obturate them.
    Thanks that’s some thing I wondered about. My boolits are quite hard around 12 to 13. Bore size is .4015 and sized to .402. Waiting to receive a .403 die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast