I bought more 7.62 x 54R brass
    As I wanted to start shooting a Mosin Nagant M44 I bought years ago
    It has a .310 bore and from what I can see , no pits
    I just cleaned out the grease out of the action and bore last week
    After sitting in the back of my safe for a lot of years

But I have to admit my eyes do not do well with iron sights
    So I would like to mount a scope base on it
    As I figure a red dot sight should work well for me

I figure a lot of the members have mounted scopes or red dot sights on their M44's

So what is a good choice ??

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

John,
    Trust me when I say "I hear what you are saying." But, before you spend a bunch of money, do what I did and get a pair of reading glasses, +1.25 power. They're inexpensive and available at most pharmacies. It's amazing to be able to see the sights again! There was a long discussion on aging eyes and eyeglasses over on the Traditional Muzzleloading Forum. One fellow was an optician, and made some recommendations to the members on correcting their vision to match their sights. In the case of conventional front & rear sights (as on your MN) he recommended the +1.25 power glasses that I bought. They work great for me!

If you truly want a scope, get one that is drill & tap mounted to the receiver. The ones that mount on the rear sight don't hold up well. Also, you'll need a bent bolt to clear the scope once it's mounted.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus

Brass Stacker makes a really good mount that bolts to the original sight and leaves the irons usable! May need heat to get the pins out of the original sight. Once pins are loose but not ot use the supplied bolt to tap them out so you don't have to fight the leaf spring under the sight.

Version for a long eye relief scope and no need for a bent bolt handle. I use this one and it has held up so far... over 2k rounds fired... https://www.tgrenterprises.com/produ...ount-3844-ssm/

If your pins are out of spec(many are so MEASURE) the above mount will not work so they came up with this design https://www.tgrenterprises.com/produ...t-scope-mount/ I have not used it so can't offer a review.

Boolit Buddy
    If yours has a bent bolt, you can't beat Bad Ace Tacticals mount. I put one on my mosin and I LOVE it. Never thought that rifle would be that accurate (No troubles hitting the 10 inch gong at 500 meters with handloads). https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...ra-low-profile

Boolit Master

Thanks

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    For what it’s worth, I tried a long eye relief scope mounted to the rear sight ears on a 6.5x55 Mauser and had a hard time with vertical dispersion. Windage was fine but I would string shots 12” from top to bottom at 100 yds. I know some folks like them but I’ve had no success.