RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder coating?

Powder coating?

I've cast my own for decades but, have never used the powder coating, what's it for lubricant? Purpose of it?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

PC, powder coating, is a powder that is applied to cast, unlubed bullets in place of traditional lube

the PC takes the place of the lube, doesn't melt in the summer and leaves a cleaner gun

there are basically two ways to apply it;
    1. electrostatic gun that applies the powder similar to a paint gun. The static charge of the gun makes the powder stick to the bullets
    2. using a #5 (look at the number in the triangle on the bottom) plastic container you put a couple of teaspoons of powder in it and a number of cast bullets.
    put the top on and swirl it around for 30 sec to a 1 minute.
    you then can pick out the bullets with a pair of plyers or hemostat and sit them on a flat tray.
    this tray goes into an oven (NOT the kitchen oven) at 400° F for about 20 minutes.
    once done you can water quench them or drop them into a box and let them cool at room temp
    from there you can size them or not (I size using a Lee push-thorough sizing die)

some folks, me included, add some black air soft BBs to help the static build-up in the #5 container

I use a $20 wally world toaster oven as my heat source

I enlarged the holes of a plastic collander to separate the PC bullets from the powder and BBs

I also dump my PC bullets onto the tray, with sides, and bake them in a single layer. Don't have problems doing it this way but some want perfect looking bullet and will take the time to stand them up

we have an entire sub-section on this process--check out Coatings and Alternatives down below
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    The material used in powder coating is a very tough coating. It keeps the lead from touching the bore of the firearm. The coating thickness is a bit over 0.001" and withstands the hot gases and pressure involved.

The powder is applied to the bullets either by electrostatic spray guns or by "shake and bake". Both use static electricity to hold the powder on the bullet. Then the coated bullets are placed in an oven to cure the powder.

The forum section on powder coating here:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...d-Alternatives

Boolit Master

The PC (basically a polymer jacket) also allows for use of softer than normal alloys. Also the PC can bump up the boolit diameter a wee bit for those molds not quite dropping the needed size.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

There is an entire section on this but basically, its like shooting a plated bullet but imo better. You can make them yourself & they arent finicky with crimp like plated can be. Cleaner shooting, less smoke & mess. I doubt I ever go back to lubed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    PC, powder coating, is a powder that is applied to cast, unlubed bullets in place of traditional lube

the PC takes the place of the lube, doesn't melt in the summer and leaves a cleaner gun

there are basically two ways to apply it;
    1. electrostatic gun that applies the powder similar to a paint gun. The static charge of the gun makes the powder stick to the bullets
    2. using a #5 (look at the number in the triangle on the bottom) plastic container you put a couple of teaspoons of powder in it and a number of cast bullets.
    put the top on and swirl it around for 30 sec to a 1 minute.
    you then can pick out the bullets with a pair of plyers or hemostat and sit them on a flat tray.
    this tray goes into an oven (NOT the kitchen oven) at 400° F for about 20 minutes.
    once done you can water quench them or drop them into a box and let them cool at room temp
    from there you can size them or not (I size using a Lee push-thorough sizing die)

some folks, me included, add some black air soft BBs to help the static build-up in the #5 container

I use a $20 wally world toaster oven as my heat source

I enlarged the holes of a plastic collander to separate the PC bullets from the powder and BBs

I also dump my PC bullets onto the tray, with sides, and bake them in a single layer. Don't have problems doing it this way but some want perfect looking bullet and will take the time to stand them up

we have an entire sub-section on this process--check out Coatings and Alternatives down below
    I made a jig out of plastic ammo trays, but one could use wood. Pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    The PC (basically a polymer jacket) also allows for use of softer than normal alloys. Also the PC can bump up the boolit diameter a wee bit for those molds not quite dropping the needed size.
    S.B., Oly55 is right about the sizing. I have a S&W model 33-1 in 38 S&W which needs a .360 boolit and when pc'd, mine are a perfect.361. It turned a beautiful little revolver from leading terribly to a tack driver that leaves the barrel clean as a whistle. A lot of people here, myself included, believe that you can get by with pretty soft lead at somewhat higher velocity without leading when pc'ing.
    Last edited by murf205; 09-16-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

OK I now understand powder coating but, already setup with sizer/lubricator I think it's cheaper/expedient for me to just remain doing it the way I always have, thanks.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    If you already have a good sizer/lube setup it is faster to use. Since many of us do not then that $300 investment is a bit steep.

And, I do not miss the cleaning of lube from seating and crimping dies.

FWIW, if you batch process PC bullets in a larger oven it is not much more time. If you don't have to size the PC'd bullets then it is much less time than a lubesizer.

Boolit Master

Walter gave it to ya straight. I rarely dont powder coat these days.

They make my cast bullets better!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    The most expensive part of the PC process is the toaster oven- Check thrift stores. I've been using one I paid $8.70 for. I gave away all my old lube stuff, since PC is so much faster, neater with lots of other already-mentioned advantages. Read thru the PC section!
    Loren

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    OK I now understand powder coating but, already setup with sizer/lubricator I think it's cheaper/expedient for me to just remain doing it the way I always have, thanks.
    Steve
    I prefer to shoot sized boolits so I still need my Star and Lyman sizers after powder coating. I was ridiculed for a while from a couple of members when I asked for suggestions on reducing smoke. It was severely impacting my ability to see targets when shooting into the sun at USPSA and steel plate matches. I've been powder coating all of my competition boolits for a long time now and it has eliminated the issues with smoke. Another benefit is that the guns stays as clean as they would shooting jacketed.

I have lots of lube sitting around feeling very lonely now. I might find a use for it some day.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Steve
    If you have a ss press, a cheap lee bullet sizer kit is all you need for pc. Though you can size them in your lube/sizer.

Boolit Master
    But, if he is going to size them, why powder coat? Extra steps.

Yes, I like the other benefits of less mess and not dealing with any exposed lube, smoke, etc. But, it is far faster to just size and lube in one stroke. Basically, if it works don't fix it.

Boolit Buddy
    Clean-up of your guns is easier when shooting PC. I notice it the most when cleaning a revolver. PC is clean and doesn't leave the gun all tacky.