Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing rubber from lead

Boolit Mold

Removing rubber from lead

Last year or so I was given an opportunity to scoop lead out of a local indoor range. I ended up with probably 11-12 gallons. The problem is that the backstop is rubber as you can see from the pics. So when I was melting my first batch the fumes from the rubber were overwhelming and stunk up the neighborhood. I then tried a quart or so in water to float the rubber. It worked but was very slow, I needed to sift through the bottom of the bucket while constantly skimming. Then the lead needed to dry before smelting. It was much improved but still had rubber in the mix. So I left the remaining in buckets for over a year or so.

So can anyone share how to remove the rubber from the lead? I assume there are easy ways that are not as effective or effective ways that are really difficult and time consuming.

Thanks for the replies.

I could say acetone first ?, but I never tried on this rubber_
    I would pick some rubber-dirty bullet, and try some little test on what you have at hand at home, from paint thinner to some cleaning acid, etc._
    traditionally, hot caustic soda or muriatic acid did not corrode the lead pipes of toilet drains, but acted drastically on everything else...
    only my 2c.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 09-13-2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: boilng caustic soda
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    will the rubber float in water ? try flushing it out ? last time in had this I slowly powered it all in front of a box fan running on highest setting,
    did blow most of the lose parts sideways a bit?

Boolit Master
    Separate it like you’re panning for gold. Put the mix in a wide bowl, add water, swirl, dump, repeat.

Lead will be wet, but I’d just put it in a cold smelting pot and once it’s full turn on the fire. The heat will dry it before the lead melts. I use moderate heat to minimize risk, don’t stir until it’s all melted, stand back, and have a cover just in case.

Edit: word from folks that have done it is that the rubber floats much better in salt water. I’d put 5 lbs in a 5 gal bucket of warm water and give it a try, then rinse well to remove salt before melting.

Boolit Buddy
    My indoor range is exactly the same way. Over the years I have "heard" but not tried to put the mix in a wheel barrow and float the rubber to the top. Then spread the remains on the driveway for the sun bake.

Unfortunately, I am not sure there is a good way. I don't like the idea of putting the lead in water for one. Pretty much each year when we have range cleaning day I come home with 5-8 buckets of lead. I do it outside and have a fan blowing pretty good over the top, not down at the flame area as that will cool the melting process. I wear old clothes because they stink like you say and I wear a really good painting mask. I also get everything out and watch the weather for wind directions and try to catch a favorable direction and pretty high winds to get it out of there. It does stink up the neighborhood but the higher winds don't keep it around long.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, that’s pretty much what I was doing. I have a large flat tub and will need to just do it on a larger scale than the small buckets I was using. Thanks for the input guys! If the first batch with plain water doesn’t pan out I will try the salt water. Will just need to add a rinse step.

I worked a range job where we set up a 4' x 16' tray made of plywood and two by fours and we would dump the mix on the tray and blow away the rubber with a leaf blower.

The rubber will float better in salted water.

It will also rise to the top in a vibrating box.

Boolit Grand Master

You won’t get all the rubber out. Your choices are stink up the neighborhood or send that lead down the road.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Separate it like you’re panning for gold. Put the mix in a wide bowl, add water, swirl, dump, repeat.

Lead will be wet, but I’d just put it in a cold smelting pot and once it’s full turn on the fire. The heat will dry it before the lead melts. I use moderate heat to minimize risk, don’t stir until it’s all melted, stand back, and have a cover just in case.

Edit: word from folks that have done it is that the rubber floats much better in salt water. I’d put 5 lbs in a 5 gal bucket of warm water and give it a try, then rinse well to remove salt before melting.
    This^^^^*
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The smoke from the rubber will ignite. Flare it off by lighting with a propane torch and let the rubber burn off, leaving carbon dust and a fluxed melt. Do this outdoors.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

afterthought: I don't know how much you have, but I wonder if throwing it in a tumbler with corn cob most of the rubber can be removed before the smelting...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Shake it through a colander with big holes or slots like the plastic grocery store ones have.
    It goes pretty fast, is a dry process, and they'll catch anything from .22 rim fire on up.

That'll go a long way towards your cleaning chore.
    You'll still have chunks of rubber, but all the small stuff will go through.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Water is too time consuming and messy and has the potential for a steam expulsion.
    We have the same type range and the leaf blower is the best method we have found. Keep the air volume and speed down and blow the rubber away. It is not perfect but at least it ends up reasonably ckean.

Another problem we have is the darn plated bullets, they float on smelt. The plating must be cracked before the lead will melt out. Another time consuming step with a arbor ptress. I long for the old days and good wheel weights. gjh
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Boolit Master
    wish ranges would stopped using rubber soo much easier to recover lead if
    the boolits smack steel plate back stop and drop into trough

Boolit Buddy
    There is always dry panning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkw5UotuRbA
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Boolit Master
    I don't have access to your pics, but you might try a "bath chain". Immerse the rubber/lead in salt-saturated water in a rubber container and churn, removing the rubber as it comes to the top. Transfer the "less-rubberized" lead to a METAL, GROUNDED container in a WELL VENTILATED AREA, containing 1 part toluene or xylene, 1 part mineral spirits, and 3 parts acetone or methylethyl ketone (MEK), and stir. The remaining rubber should dissolve into the toluene or xylene solvents, and the acetone or MEK will pull off the water. Put the treated lead/rubber (should be mostly gone) on paper towels in direct sunlight (OUTSIDE!) to dry. All or most of the water should be gone with the solvent, but double check before adding to the lead pot.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Build a sluice box. Some plywood, a couple of side boards and cross pieces about 6 to 8 inches apart. An old friend had a commercial range where he used conveyer belt as part of the back stop. This method worked very well for getting the rubber and a lot of other contaminates out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I wanna say throw it into a concrete mixer with some water, then let it spin and beat on itself until the rubber separates and floats to the top. Dump off the water & rubber through something like a colander that will collect the rubber for disposal, but let the water pass through. Wash, rinse, repeat. Then leave the washed lead out to dry. There will still be some rubber crumbs left in the mix, but as Outpost75 pointed out, it won't smoke nearly as much if you set it on fire. It's going to stink a little bit and there's not much you can do about that, so if it's possible do the inertial smelting away from the neighbors. If Karen Cancelculture comes by to ask what your doing? tell her that you're "recycling". By all means, do not tell people that you are possibly annoying that you are making bullets!

Boolit Grand Master

Pan, sluice, wash, blow or sit down with a pair of tweezers, you aren’t going to get all the rubber out. Your choices are stink up the neighborhood or send that lead down the road.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The smoke from the rubber will ignite. Flare it off by lighting with a propane torch and let the rubber burn off, leaving carbon dust and a fluxed melt. Do this outdoors.
    my method, torch it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast