RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus judge? Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Some members have had problems with the Judge.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ght=Judge+blow

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a blued 3" Judge w/ a 2.5" cylinder a number of years ago not too long after they came out, mostly out of novelty. Have shot it a number of times with both standard load 45 Colt shells and various types of 410 shells. NO high pressure Colt loads should ever be used in the standard Judge. Bird shot makes donuts in the targets at about 10 yards or more, buck shot prints slightly high and centered at 10 yards and covers about a 6" circle, and 45 Colt lead bullets both factory and reloads are dismal for groups even at 15-20 yards. This may be due to the lack of real sights.

Dropped a pin gauge through the cylinder throats and the barrel. All 5 cylinders are @ 0.458" or better! Barrel measures @ 0.450-451" for the bore and about 0.459"+ using a lead slug to measure the actual rifled bore size. So standard 451/452 bullets are just skidding down the bore. Bought some of Matt's hollow base wad cutters and have loaded up some using a fast powder to standard 45 Colt pressure loads. Will report what happens after I try these. Suspect that they will most certainly shoot better than the original loads tried. Also would hate to get hit with these big flat nosed slugs even at 600-650 FPS speeds.

Boolit Buddy
    Need to add a couple of things:
    1) After the first try at using 45 Colt loads I did load up some soft 300 grain re-sized 45-70 bullets to try. These did work fairly well because I think there was more shank length and they were realy soft lead. This lead me to try the hollow base wad cutters.

2) I carry this revolver in my pickup all the time and keep it loaded with (in order) 1- #4 bird shot, 2- 410 00 buck shot loads by Federal, and 2- of the 45 Colt wad cutters.

Boolit Buddy
    I called a warden in ct. basicly if he’s hunting. He shouldn’t be carrying any handgun that’s not a 22 or smaller rimfire.

Prima facie hunting in ct requires the hunting implement to be loaded. So essentially if his crossbow or bow has an arrow nocked / nocked + cocked then he can’t have a loaded gun on his person.

Basically he can have any self defense gun loaded in a holster on his person. But would have to unload it and put it away in a backpack or something preferably with a trigger lock on it, before he cocks and loads the crossbow. Because that would be possession of a loaded handgun while hunting.

Warden also said it’s unlikely to be prosecuted in a true self defense from animal shooting. But considered highly suspicious and obviously if your caught poaching your in a world of trouble.

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    My uncle wants to get a judge as a general purpose critter gun. He ran into a big cat last season. (Public land) Local law says no to centerfire cartridges, the exception being for shotguns cartridges. I think this is a grey area he’s betting on legally but his choice.

I don’t think a little .410 slug has the energy for a deer, cat or black bear. But I can’t really say for sure. Never used one. Never had any interest in a judge I thought they were strange. I know the 45colt can carry some good energy in non-cowboy guns. So maybe there’s a strong .410 load that fits the bill?

In my experience, I’d trust a 44bp cap and ball more then the .410.. 3 inch barrel shotgun sounds like it would be really slow velocity to me.

I would highly recommend for anyone to google "Taurus judge explodes" before purchasing one.

The S & W Governor is a better and safer choice...but lots more money.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    I called a warden in ct. basicly if he’s hunting. He shouldn’t be carrying any handgun that’s not a 22 or smaller rimfire.

Prima facie hunting in ct requires the hunting implement to be loaded. So essentially if his crossbow or bow has an arrow nocked / nocked + cocked then he can’t have a loaded gun on his person.

Basically he can have any self defense gun loaded in a holster on his person. But would have to unload it and put it away in a backpack or something preferably with a trigger lock on it, before he cocks and loads the crossbow. Because that would be possession of a loaded handgun while hunting.

Warden also said it’s unlikely to be prosecuted in a true self defense from animal shooting. But considered highly suspicious and obviously if your caught poaching your in a world of trouble.

Wow

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but I believe if there really was a danger of wild cat attack, I would work out a way to conceal a real pistol while hunting, asinine laws be damned. I'd like to see the politicians who passed that law be informed that their bodyguards had a choice between 22lr or unloaded guns while on duty.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks great on TV, but in reality, it is a pathetic excuse for a pistol.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the Taurus Judge, or the whole concept of the design. It's a pathetic excuse for a shotgun, and even worse as a centerfire revolver. You'd be hard pressed to intentionally combine such bad ideas to make a poor shooting revolver. That it is bulky and balances badly in the hand doesn't help.
    Then, add the usual mediocre Taurus quality and it adds up to quite a dud.
    But, lots of folks I see at the ranges have them and think their "cool", like somehow it's a magical combination of a Dirty Harry revolver and a 12 ga riot gun. Go figure!!

Here's something few people are probably aware of. USFA, back in the day when they were on the top of their game building their excellent SAA revolvers, they got the idea to build a single action revolver in 45/410 configuration. They used to administer a forum on their website, where they announced their plans. They were fully expecting a hugely positive response. Surprise!! Everyone hated the idea before it was even released. The company president wrote a statement admonishing all the members for failing to see the "wisdom" of his vision.
    Next thing you know, they introduced their 22 "ZIP" gun (horrible product), discontinued their single actions, and promptly went out of business.
    What a shame!

Boolit Grand Master

I've never owned one but I have shot several. With shot the patterns were very large for the distance with a donut hole in the center. Accuracy from the 45 Colt at best was poor and that is being somewhat generous. I never fired or witnessed buckshot being fired out of one so no comment.

https://www.gun-tests.com/shortshots...aurus-judge-2/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    With shot the patterns were very large for the distance with a donut hole in the center.
    That makes sense given the rifling in the barrel. Shot is going to spin away from the center.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How about a cap and ball revolver?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Novelty gun but better than nothing. 2.5” 00 buckmis three pellets it should discourage most animals. That said one determined to make a meal out of you that gun will not be enough to put them down except up close and personal
    like almost contact. Those instances would probably be really rare. I had one for playing around with and honestly even the buckshot loads from a 2.5” would barely penetrate thicker plastic target. The BBs stuck in it. Again I think it’s an ok small rodent dispatcher but anything larger …….. better than a sharp stick

Boolit Master

I always thought the Judge was a sales gimmick, Not good for scatter shot and not good as a 45 Colt with the long jump to the rifling. The old H&R handy gun would be better with its longer barrel and smooth bore. I asked an ATF agent about short barreled shotguns and was told "if it was manufactured without a butt stock it us not a shotgun". So these new pistols with smooth bores are legal but not practical. A Howdah pistol might be a good idea. If it was made before 1899 it is not a firearm. I had one in the shop several years back in 577 Snider.

[QUOTE=John Ta I asked an ATF agent about short barreled shotguns and was told "if it was manufactured without a butt stock it us not a shotgun". [/QUOTE]

Like asking the IRS for tax advice--- they aren't responsible if they give you wrong answers.

My understanding- unless it has very recently changed is that these handguns have to have at least some rifling
    to not be considered as an under length/illegal shotgun.
    My fairly new Bond derringer has rifling for about the last 1/2" of the barrel to meet that requirement.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

We sell the Shockwave at my side job shop. A smoothbore handgun is not covered under NFA if it has an OAL of at least 26", even if it is based on a shotgun design. This is why these guns always have a long birdshead grip to bring the OAL to 26". The original Handi Gun still had an OAL under that, and so is considered Any Other Weapon under NFA with a $5.00 stamp.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Run a .22 Magnum revolver.

Run FROM anything Taurus.

Pumas being ambush predators, if they decide you're food, you're unlikely to see it coming. For the most part, if you aren't a deer, they won't mess with you. Most of the attacks that have occurred here in SoCal have been probable cases of "mistaken identity", where the lion had what could be called a "kitten pounce" response and then let go once it decided the human wasn't food. Our biggest concern as hunters is that we are sneaking around in the dark trying to get to our hides before daybreak, and this is the cat's primary hunting time - and you're roughly deer-sized. If it's a case of a staredown or territoriality, a loud shot across the bow will likely convince kitty to take his sensitive ears elsewhere. For the most part though, they will not willingly engage us. A .22 Mag with solids will have adequate penetration if it comes to it; is better than poking kitty in the eyes with your thumbs; and from what you say, would seem to be legal.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I’ve seen and shot several shorter barrel versions of Judges; using slugs, buck & bird shot and LC’s. Try as I may I can’t think of any unique redeeming qualities. QC was unimpressive. In fact the front sight fell off two new out-of-the-box samples I tried.
    It would be useful if I was sitting in the driver’s seat defending the ownership of my vehicle from an up close thief, but so would a lot of handguns. I can think of several other choices for fending off a hungry feline.
    I guess if it was free I’d take one, only because I load LC. But definitely a Last Ditch defense prospect.

I would love to see Taurus come out with a .45 Colt only Judge with appropriate length cylinder, it would be a sweet piece.

Get him a Keltec Cp33. 33 rounds of 22lr in the magazine. It would be totally legal and it gives him more ammo to shoot than he could ever use. The judge is almost worthless. And I'd rather put 5 or 6 22lr bullets at the cat than miss it with the entire judge loads.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12