Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Any Reason for +P Ammo

Boolit Grand Master

This sums it up very well.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/

Conclusions
    Looking at all of this data, it’s tempting to try to sift through the numbers and determine once and for all which load is The One Bullet To Rule Them All. If that kind of data analysis gets you excited, then go for it. If, on the other hand, you just want to find a decent load for your carry gun, you probably don’t need to go through all of that trouble. To the contrary, we did all of this work on these tests so you don’t have to obsess over the ballistic performance aspect of your carry ammo.

If the self-defense load you use is listed here, and you’re not confident in the results you’re seeing, just pick another one that performed at a level you’re more comfortable with. But keep in mind, even though the gelatin tests can tell us a lot, there’s plenty of things they don’t tell us. Ballistics testing doesn’t tell us anything about the felt recoil of a load. We also haven’t addressed accuracy or muzzle flash (which can be an issue in low light). And maybe most important of all, no gelatin test can tell you if a given load will run reliably in your own self-defense pistol. This is all stuff you’ll have to test on your own at the range with your gun.

Once you find a load that works, whatever you decide, try to keep all of this in perspective. Choice of caliber and bullet are not the most important aspects of successful self-defense. Awareness, proper mindset, marksmanship, and discernment of when to use your firearm are generally far more critical to your survival than choice of gear. Having said that, knowing your carry ammo works not only provides peace of mind, there’s a chance that choosing a solid defensive load could be the one factor that tips the scales in your favor in a fight for your life.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Being a curious type I have known about the luckygunner test for a while.

Boolit Master
    I believe that since I am in relic catagory myself I think I will stick to the pitiful 45 Auto in Semi Autos as a primary and in revolvers my 44 Mag with a slightly less than a wadcutter bullet at 700 fps.
    I have learned a lot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in those days the data was not actually in the pressure range they thought it was. Thus the changes downward in charge weight.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I believe that since I am in relic catagory myself I think I will stick to the pitiful 45 Auto in Semi Autos as a primary and in revolvers my 44 Mag with a slightly less than a wadcutter bullet at 700 fps.
    I have learned a lot.
    Me too!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I have a .45acp revolver with a 4" barrel and a .357 mganum with a 3" barrel. They don't need or will get +P. Learned a long time aago that it is not needed. my .02 anyway, james

There are three calibers (that I know) that have a +P standard (.38 spcl, .45 ACP, 9x19). I have a .38 and a .45. I use +P in the .38 for three reasons.

1) The gun is rated for continual +P

2) .38 is a marginal cartridge for self defense. (If it will prevent argument: In my opinion)

3) +P .38 loadings offer more reliable expansion of hollow point ammo when fired from 2" snubbies.

I do not use +P ammo in my .45. This is for two reasons.

1) The gun is NOT rated for +P.

2) .45 standard pressure is sufficient for self defense and reliably expands hollow points at typical SD ranges.

As far as 9x19, I think its purpose was to better utilize the longer barrels of submachine guns. I've seen tests of 9mm +P where the +P ammo had identical or lower velocities than standard pressure ammo out of handguns (4" barrels or less). I haven't seen +P tested in carbines though...

On a random note, I have a box of .45 +P ammo from Hornady. 220 gr bullet at an advertised velocity of 990 FPS. Compare that with Winchester's advertised 880 for a 230 gr hollow point. That's a significant increase (assuming it's not just smoke up an anus).
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789