Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are all of these .223 brass crimped primer pockets?

I agree that once fired brass should be just that, factory ammunition that has been fired one time. If it is not known to be that then advertising it as once fired is disingenuous at best.
    Having said that I now either buy factory ammunition or new brass if it is important to me to know precisely what it is. I have some rifles that I use in the field and it's unlikely I'll recover the brass so I'll use range brass if I'm not particularly concerned about the best accuracy possible.

Boolit Master
    It feels like the change from meaning “one time” to meaning “previously fired some number of times” happened over the past few years. I can usually identify fired once and not resized from fired twice, but after that it’s mostly a guess.

A couple is always 2.

Once fire brass is factory ammo that has been fired by you, period.
    If you buy once fired brass as I have many times, it's all Mexican Judo.
    Judo know if it's been fired once, Judo know if it's been fired twice or more.
    Judo know.
    To me it is not that important.

Boolit Master

I finally found this thread again. Couldn't remember where I had posted my last comment. I was reminded to search for it again when watching a chili recipe video where the presenter said to add "a couple of slices of thick cut bacon" and was clearly cutting up far more than two sliced of bacon on the cutting board.

For some cartridges it matters a lot how many times it's been fired. For example, .40 S&W has a fairly short life. If I knew I was buying a batch that had already been loaded at least 4 times I wouldn't pay much for it; 2 cents each max. For truly once fired I would pay much more than that. It's only good for about 8-10 loadings before it cracks.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

The red sealed ones are the only ones I see that appear still crimped. This is how I sort my 5.56 brass. I only keep NATO, and only NATO with crimp intact. This ensures that I'm not starting out with Bubbas 6 times loaded brass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123