RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimaron 1894?

Boolit Buddy

Cimaron 1894?

Several searches reveal very little information on the Cimaron 1894 here.

This is a surprise to me, as i figured that a few people would be loading and shooting them.

Short story is i have a hankerin' for a 38-55, for hunting, shooting and as an allaround gun that has a bit less recoil than my poor mans marlin cowboy 45-70.

to anyone that has one:
    1) how is the overall quality and durability? I'm going to shoot this gun...alot. Its not to be a toy, but a tool.

2) how is the loading process going, with regard to chamber dimensions, lenght of brass used and bullet diameter?

Ive been able to find very little information on these rifles online- to the point where different capacities are listed for the same model.

I like these better than the henry, as they have longer barrels and slimmer profiles. If i can find a Winchester with s 24-26" barrel at a like price, well i'd prefer it. But that is not likely.

Boolit Buddy

Can't tell anything about the Cimaron, but Starline has a good article about case length and the reason GW

Boolit Buddy

Yes, ive read that through a few times. These have been on the market a few years, seems like there is not much info on them though. I want a shooter, not a wall hanger and would like to verify that before i plunk down my money.

I wanted the same thing and opted for a 70's Winchester Commemorative Chief Crazy Horse, no safety crap, full length barrel, fine shooter.
    Last edited by veeman; 09-12-2022 at 05:23 PM.

I am at work right now and only have access to my phone. When I get home and have time I will give you an honest description of my year with the Cimarron Deluxe 1894 in 38-55. I have been shooting Lever Action Silhouette with it out to 200 meters for about 14 months now. I will say that I am happy with this rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a carbine about a year ago but haven't fired it much yet. Workmanship on the Cimarrons is very good and I'm well pleased with it. I've fire-formed .30-30 brass and used W-W .38-55 brass. The 30-30 is a tad shorter than factory. Thus far I have used a cast 245 gr with 32.0 g Varget. Still need to do more range time with it though.

Boolit Buddy

Me again. I am shooting a Win 375 Big Bore. Reformed 30/30 and Starline 38/55 brass 16 gr 2400 under a RCBS 255 gr. 1300 fp with mostly under 2 in@ 100 yds Old Lyman factory du[icatation load, GW

Boolit Buddy

I have two Cinnamon 1894s, a 20" carbine and a 24" sporting rifle, both in 38-55. If I recall correctly, both are made by Chiapet in Italy. Both are extremely accurate, and the actions were nice and slick out of the box. The magazine tubes on both were at bottom dead center of the barrel on both, which is something I pay particular attention to when evaluating a levergun with a magazine tube.

Both of the Cinnamon 1894s are the accuracy equivalents of my Winchester/Miroku 1894 24" Sporting Rifle and two Marlin 336 Cowboys, one still wearing the 24" barrel, the other having been cut and crowned by a former owner to 20". Using my reloads, I can take up any of the 38-55s, aim, and hit what I aimed at. The Marlins both have those notorious tight chambers and wide bores, so I use short Starline cases as they are thinner than W-W cases, and load Randy Moyer's 260 gr .380" dia cast boolits under 11.6 gr of Unique. That load is a tackdriver in the Marlins, and works just as well in the Winchester and Cinnamons.

I also picked up 20" Cinnamon/Chiapet 1892 carbines in 45 Colt, and 44 Magnum, and a 24" Sporting Rifle in 357 Magnum, and they have been flawless performers for me for a few years now.

My only beef is the "quality" of the "case coloring." On some it is really colorful, on others it's grayish and "muddy." The standouts are both Ubertis, an 18" 1873 in 357 Magnum with a pistol grip, and a 28" 1876 in 45-60. Gorgeous colors. But I'm getting away from Cinnamon 1894s.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    I have two Cinnamon 1894s. If I recall correctly, both are made by Chiapet in Italy.
    That would be Chiappa, pardner.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    That would be Chiappa, pardner.
    Of course it is. But I calls 'em as I sees 'em, like Cinnamon, the company that sells 'em. More funner that way:

“Oswald fired from the book suppository building.”

“Noah Zark, at your cervix.”

"The testicle specifications for the lawn mower are provided in the rear of the owner's manual."

My wife and I have engaged in intentional malapropism for most of our 44 years together as a way to create humor.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah Zark; 09-13-2022 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm a huge 94 fan, but for the same money I would be more willing to take a chance on a Cimarron than a new Winoku with light strike gremlins.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I'm a huge 94 fan, but for the same money I would be more willing to take a chance on a Cimarron than a new Winoku with light strike gremlins.
    I have a Chiappa '86 - its a fine shooter and I like the unlawyered original design - kinda blows up Miruky and Uberti's argument that they had to make em "safer" to access the market (Aus and /or US) ....no they didnt !

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I wanted the same thing and opted for a 70's Winchester Commemorative Chief Crazy Horse, no safety crap, full length barrel, fine shooter.
    Veeman, what diameter boolit did you end up going with?
    I been shooting 94's quite a bit over the last few years and they have grown on me. Also like the Marlin cowboys but the lean 94 profile has won me almost 100% over..

I'm using .379 bullets.

Boolit Master

Noah, we do stuff like that too!

I have the deluxe 1894, 26 inch barrel and pistol grip stock with crescent/rifle butt plate.

I like this rifle very much and it is still growing on me.
    The attached image is a nine shot group at 100 yards using a front rest , MVA Soule rear sight and a Marbles 3/16 ivory bead front sight. The 200 yard 5 shot groups are consistently just under three inches. To say that I am thrilled with the accuracy would be an understatement.
    Out to 100 yards I shoot 250gr , 20-1 alloy bullets with NRA 50/50 lube. They are loaded in short Starline brass with CCI#350 primers and 7.5 grains of Trailboss.
    Out to 200 yards I shoot 290gr , air cooled wheel weight bullets with Carnauba Red lube. Again short Starline brass but with CCI#250 primers and 25 grains of H4895.
    Both bullets are sized to .381. No gas checks.
    The rifle functions flawlessly and shoots more accurately than I can hold on the 200 meter rams.
    Now, for the not so good things.
    The trigger pull was far too heavy for me. The flat mainspring was thick and heavy. The firing pin was an inertia type. That is, the firing pin is shorter than the bolt and there is a firing pin return spring. So, if the hammer is fully forward and resting on the firing pin extension, the firing pin does not protrude from the bolt face.
    I replaced the firing pin with an "original" style newly manufactured and purchased from Midway USA. I replaced the mainspring with a Uberti 1873 reduced power spring from Long Hunter Shooting Supply. At least in the Ubertis, the 1873 and 1894 Winchester main springs are the same shape and size.
    to sum it up. The my Cimarron 1894 Deluxe functions flawlessly. It has a true half cock safety but no modern safeties added to the original. The rifling is crisp and deep for using cast bullets. The flats on the octagon barrel are well defined, unlike Henry Repeating Arms where they are over polished. Most importantly to me, the rifle is consistently accurate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100 Yards 9 Shots.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Awesome. Cimarron really needs to do a better job promoting these guns, given how much people are willing to spend on a decent original. I honestly haven't seen an ad for Cimarron in a gun rag since the 2000's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

Hey, thanks Davidmagnum! Thats just the type of information i was looking for.
    Ive got a line on an 80's Winchester, if that falls through (more than likely to) I'm going to take another look at the Cimarons as a shooter.
    Impressive shooting too!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I've been shooting one for about 30yrs. Great rifles, add a tang sight and a fold down Marbles rear and You're good for 50 tp 200yds. Was great for Cowboy Long Range back I the day.

Think it was made in 1981-2
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Mine was made in 79

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast