RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody make pancakes on a sheet pan in the oven?

Does anybody make pancakes on a sheet pan in the oven?

I've heard of it, but never done it.

When we make pancakes for 5-6 people, they have to eat them as they come off the stove in a fry pan.
    Otherwise, most of them will be cold if stacked and served all at once.
    And I've never figured out how to keep the first ones warm and not get soggy or dried out.

I'd heard of making them all at once in the oven on a cookie sheet.
    Being in the oven, you don't have to flip them either.
    When the whole thing is done, you can cut them like a cake or pizza.
    And it lends itself to making different ones with blueberries or whatever on one corner or end,
    and leaving the other end plain.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It can be done. I would keep the temp low and flip them. Maybe 350 degrees. Preheat the sheet in the oven with a tablespoon of cooking oil smeared across the pan evenly. Drop batter and cook for maybe 3-4 minutes and flip. Maybe 2 more minutes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

When we make pancakes for 5-6 people, they have to eat them as they come off the stove in a fry pan.
    And I've never figured out how to keep the first ones warm and not get soggy or dried out.

And it lends itself to making different ones with blueberries or whatever on one corner or end,
    It would just be cake, or more properly "sheet pan" cake. In that case, just add more ingredients to make it a coffee cake. Recipes are widely available.

My solution for pancakes for a group is a heavy griddle pan that covers two burners on my stove. I can cook about eight 4 inch pancakes at once. I've had it for decades and it was old when I got it. It's made of 3/8 stainless steel. You have to be very careful to not overheat it. It takes a long time to cool back to cooking temps.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

+1 for above

Boolit Master

I have a griddle pan, covers two burners, about 1/4 " thick, sone kind of steel or alumun , silver, works good for a group. Was my mothers, now mine, will go to one of the sons some day ?? Have another up north that is cast iron, about 1/4" thick.

Boolit Buddy
    Cast iron skillet, the one with the really low sides (round gridle I guess) when I have a bunch to feed I break out a second one.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I get 3 skillits going at once. Id do 4 but one burner has a mind of its own. 6 inch cakes go quick.

Pancakes dont allow everone to eat at once, but lets conversation flow.

Boolit Master
    I’ve not tried cooking pancakes in the oven. I have put cooked pancakes in the oven on low heat for a few minutes to keep them warm.

I have a square griddle that will do 4 at a time on the stove top. If I’m cooking for more than 4 or 5 people, I get out the electric griddle. It will do 8 at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

It would probably work, but I don't think they would turn out what normal pancakes look like. Instead if you want to try that, I recommend using a cake pan, and baking that whole. Then cut them into squares or whatever you want when done. It won't be exactly like a pancake either, but it would be a more efficient use of space. No matter what, I don't think you will get a nice brown crispy side in the oven.

Alternatively, I use a gridle. There's lot of options out there. I use a cast iron gridle that fits over two burners. It can fit 4-6 pancakes depending on the size. You can use the other burners and a pan for everything else, or even more pancakes. The only time I've made for 6 was for kids, and usually I'd do extra small pancakes for them.

I am going to try it this weekend. I started making bacon in the oven on a Lodge Cast iron griddle placed in a large baking pan to catch any fat that spills off of the gridle.

Moderator Emeritus

My new range has the oval burner in the center and a griddle that fits over it. Can do 6 large pancakes or 8 smaller(5inch or so) ones.

Boolit Master

I use my normal pan to fry the pancakes, then put them on a cast iron pan in the oven at 175-200 degrees to keep warm cook all and serve at the same time.

This is just one of the options for frying pancakes - the "bachelor option" or the light version. Ready-made pancakes are stacked, and on top, on each new pancake, a small piece of butter is placed.

And also, colleagues, remember:

Everything in this life that gives pleasure is either immoral or fattening.

Viam supervadet vadens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    Everything in this life that gives pleasure is either immoral or fattening.
    Hey, good to see you back.

There used to be a big fat guy on a TV show here years ago that said something like that fairly often.

He said it as "Everything I like is either, illegal, immoral, or fattening".

EVERYONE!

Hey, good to see you back.

There used to be a big fat guy on a TV show here years ago that said something like that fairly often.

He said it as "Everything I like is either, illegal, immoral, or fattening".
    I never left the forum, but, by the decision of the forum owner, my range of topics for conversation is somewhat limited. But I can still read and discuss "weapon" topics. Only now I have nothing special to say on "weapon" topics. There is nothing to say yet. That's when I save up money and buy a lathe, I will have questions and I will have something to say.

And, yes - we are fat men, apparently, we think in the same direction. I injured my spine a few years ago and put on a lot of weight from a sedentary lifestyle.

But I don’t eat pancakes, although I really like them with sour cream.

Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That sounds like an interesting idea to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    But I don’t eat pancakes, although I really like them with sour cream.
    I make them a few times a year.
    Sour cream pretty much goes with anything. I never put it on pancakes, but I'll sure try it.
    --Sour cream with a generous bump of sugar, Oh gosh. I could about live on that.

I have a long time friend that makes pan cakes or waffles fairly often and likes them with peanut butter instead of syrup.
    I've been to the Far East and eaten things that smelled like they'd knock a maggot off a gut wagon.
    But peanut butter on pan cakes is just wrong. And a bit more than I can handle.

EVERYONE!

Sour cream pretty much goes with anything. I never put it on pancakes, but I'll sure try it.
    --Sour cream with a generous bump of sugar, Oh gosh. I could about live on that.

And also pancakes, if they are rolled up or folded into a triangle, delicious with condensed milk. And wash them down with hot (but not scalding) black tea. And not from a mug, but from a saucer, after blowing on it. And on the table there should be a samovar (which is heated with birch firewood), and not an electric kettle.

This is from childhood, when I lived in the village with my grandmother and great-grandmother. Only they didn’t have condensed milk, they had homemade jam from raspberries, gooseberries and apples.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Master

"But peanut butter on pan cakes is just wrong. And a bit more than I can handle. "

It has to be crunchy peanut butter, with honey!

Moderator Emeritus

Then there is the classic lefse pancake/flatbread... warmed one up on a griddle, add butter and sugar and cinnamon, fold up and munch!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast