Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody make pancakes on a sheet pan in the oven?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post
    And on the table there should be a samovar (which is heated with birch firewood), and not an electric kettle.
    My Grandparents passed away in the early 1960s. They had gotten married in 1912, and lived on a ranch in the Texas Hill Country.
    They had modernized the house with one light bulb in the ceiling of each room, and a telephone, but nothing else.

They still used a wood burning stove. It might be my imagination, but I think everything tasted much better from it.
    I don't know where she got the flour for it, but my Grandmother still made that black German bread.
    Nothing from the grocery store ever tasted half as good as what she made.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My Grandparents passed away in the early 1960s. They had gotten married in 1912, and lived on a ranch in the Texas Hill Country.
    My great-grandmother (on my mother's side) died in 1973, and her husband died in 1924. His great-grandmother did not marry after his death. My great-grandmother had six children - three daughters and three sons. One of her daughters died in infancy during the civil war from starvation, the second daughter died in the mid-30s of the last century. One of the great-grandmother's sons went missing during the Great Patriotic War. Two other sons of great-grandmother went through the war and survived. One of them was badly wounded - he was a cavalryman and his horse was blown up in a minefield. This great-grandmother's son, after being wounded, ended up in a hospital in besieged Leningrad and miraculously survived. Another son of great-grandmother served in the service personnel in aviation and he was the luckiest of all - he was not injured.

My grandmother (on my mother's side) lost her husband in 1939 and she herself died in 1975. After the death of her husband, the grandmother did not remarry. My grandmother and her mother (my great-grandmother) lived together in the village of Palekh and ran the household together.

On the line of my father, I found only my grandfather alive. He died in 1986 and was 88 at the time. His wife, my grandmother, died in the evacuation in 1942. My grandfather's parents also died there in the evacuation in the Urals. Grandfather managed to evacuate his family and loved ones from Kyiv after the start of the war, but only he and his two sons survived. Grandfather was mobilized into the army, but was not sent to the front, probably because of his children.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

What little bit of Russian history I've read or seen films of-- it is beyond horrific, and words can't fully describe it.

I have a few military veterans that I know of from as far back as one in the American Civil Was.
    One Grandfather was too old to be drafted in WWI, the other too young and When WWII came around he had a yard full of kids.

A few Uncles served in WWII- One was killed on Destroyer Row by friendly fire at Pearl Harbor.
    Another was the a US Navy Ensign, and in charge of the Library at the base on Puerto Rico.
    He once said that while he was in charge of the Library, not one single German bomber made it through their defenses.

One time I was talking to my Dad about the food we had in the military.
    While I was stationed near Washington DC working on the Presidential Helicopter Fleet,
    I told him we ate like Kings. Our Mess Hall was like going to a above average sit down restaurant for every meal.

He told me while his was in the US Air Force, almost half that time was spent at Adak, Alaska 1951-52:
    about all he remembered was always being cold, and mostly eating chipped beef on toast. Also known as **** on a shingle.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-19-2022 at 10:36 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

We would call those crepes.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Growing up in the 60’s, I didn’t know that pancakes could be eaten without Peanut butter and maple syrup. I’ve since discovered buttermilk syrup. Peanut butter and buttermilk syrup on my pancakes and waffles. I feel like I’m getting punished if there is no buttermilk syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I feel like I’m getting punished if there is no buttermilk syrup.
    I'd always heard people out there in those wild, unexplored territories did some rather strange things.
    This would qualify as an confirmation of that.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the rumors I've heard about people putting beans and even corn
    in chili might also be true.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-20-2022 at 01:38 AM.

EVERYONE!

What little bit of Russian history I've read or seen films of-- it is beyond horrific, and words can't fully describe it.

Edward, I will refrain from talking about Russian history. I do not want, once again, to get a knee on my sirloin and fly out not only from the closed section of this forum, but from the forum in general.

And about food, I’ll tell you a couple of episodes from the history of my family.

Episode one:

Before the Revolution, my grandfather, together with his parents, lived for some time in the city of Ivanovo-Voznesensk, which was famous for its weaving factories and revolutionary sentiments among local workers. One day my grandfather heard a speech by a local revolutionary who during the day spoke in the square in front of a crowd that was predominantly women (Men worked somewhere during the day, and women in families were housewives and walked around the city on their household chores during the day). So, in his speech, the speaker praised how good it would be to live after the revolution and in particular said: "Comrade women, after the revolution, you will eat what you have never eaten." And when in the Civil War people began to eat potato peelings from hunger, many remembered that revolutionary and said: "The revolutionary did not deceive, we really never ate potato peelings before."

Episode two (short):

My mother, after graduating from school in the village of Palekh, went to the city of Moscow to enter the Hydrometeorological College. In Moscow, before entering a technical school, she lived with distant relatives. And with these relatives, for the first time in her life, she tried pasta. It was 1956.

Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Grand Master

When cooking pancakes for 5-6 people in the oven, you need to have a huge cookie sheet and oven.

Get a 2 burner griddle and double your output from the stove top. Keep them warm stacked in the oven at 250 or so.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy

I will share no lefse with you!!! Butter only! GW

Moderator Emeritus

To "stray" BACK to OP query -- "Does anybody make pancakes on a sheet pan in the oven?" -- I had given that thought about a year ago when we had many, many family members for an early breakfast -- day after a wedding -- and negated the idea. The pancakes I make are basically sourdough starter with a bit of sugar and baking soda added. My universal to-go recipe, I can drop 1/4-cup of batter on griddle in English muffin rings to make crumpets or let batter free-flow for pancakes; or, even use same batter in a Belgium waffle iron! The "secret for success" is to watch the batter until teeny-weenie (technical term) pin holes appear at batter top, which is the sign to flip the pancake. Wait three minutes -- and, they're both delicious and done!
    While it would be feasible to make a cookie-sheet-sized pancake -- HOW to flip it would be the challenge!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    While it would be feasible to make a cookie-sheet-sized pancake -- HOW to flip it would be the challenge!
    geo

Last edited by Alex_4x4; 11-20-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    To "stray" BACK to OP query --
    Yeah. It was something that popped into my head about speeding up the production rate.
    We have a electric oven (not by choice-- I like the gas stove & ovens) since there isn't gas service out here,
    and I can't really justify getting set up with propane.

The heating element inside on the bottom works with or without the one on top.
    I figured a sheet pan on the bottom rack would get me where I wanted to go.
    But flipping would be an issue since I couldn't reach all the way across the open (bottom hinged) door to turn them.
    If I took the sheet out to do it, the heat would probably be lost and mess 'em up.

Oh yeah, as threads mature and drift----
    If they don't get too 'rowdy', that can be some of the most interesting parts of them.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-20-2022 at 03:48 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

I was watching an old re-run of " Green Acres " , Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor ,
    she was making pancakes ... poured the batter on a sheet pan and into the hot oven ...
    when done , she cut them into squares ! It was a comedy show but I don't see any reason it couldn't be done that way... baked in a hot oven and you eliminate the need to flip them ... like baking a thin cake ... you don't flip a cake while it bakes .

We talk about some strange things sometimes ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I'd always heard people out there in those wild, unexplored territories did some rather strange things.
    This would qualify as an confirmation of that.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the rumors I've heard about people putting beans and even corn
    in chili might also be true.
    I admit to being an unwashed hick who puts beans in chili, but I’ve not tried corn….yet. Thanks for the idea.

I admit to being an unwashed hick who puts beans in chili, but I’ve not tried corn….yet. Thanks for the idea.
    Everybody!! Get your torches and pitchforks!! BURN THE WITCH!!!

EVERYONE!

Moderator Emeritus

Stake him out over a TX red ant hill for polluting chili!

... BURN THE WITCH!!!
    - "Holy father, but she's so beautiful. Can we first of that ...?"

- "Okay, I don't mind. But after that, burn it anyway."

Viam supervadet vadens.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Stake him out over a TX red ant hill for polluting chili!

That's too good for him.

We may need to feed him some of that New York chili.
    A former mother in law made it one time-

It was more or less a pot of spaghetti sauce under about 3 inches of extra water,
    with some cut up hot dogs floating around in it.

I did try a second spoon full of it, then had to say three Hail Marys, and two Anna-Godda-Vedas to cleanse myself.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I remember reading about the famous New York chili. If I promise to not try the corn, can we just go with the ant hill?

I remember reading about the famous New York chili. If I promise to not try the corn, can we just go with the ant hill?
    You seem like a good guy.
    Being a first offense, the chili gods may let you off with a stern warning and a minor guilt trip.

EVERYONE!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast