Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Need Antique Musket Rifle Checklist….

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

Need Antique Musket Rifle Checklist….

I recently posted, and received great advice and information regarding a bayonet and rifle matchup. Now I need advice on what books to start reading and how to inspect an antique musket from the 1800’s. (1835/42)
    I have black powder experience with my cannons, but not with muskets.
    I want to know what to look for and how to access a musket from this era to make sure it’s a safe rifle to shoot.
    My friend and I will be heading out to look for a quality musket he can shoot confidently and I don’t want to steer him wrong. And I know we will see all kinds of conditions.
    It won’t used be for hunting, at least I think right now, just target and fun shooting. I do know it will be in .69 caliber.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master
    Solely for help in identification my favorite book for that era is Flayderman's Guide to Antique Firearms. For safety I'd say you are better off having a competent gunsmith examine a prospective musket with a borescope, etc. For shooting all in all though you might be better served with a reproduction. I have an original Model 1861 Springfield - Norwich Contract which appears to be in grand condition - bright bore and very little rust externally either. Also have top hat caps, black powder and 58 caliber minie balls - but I don't think I will ever fire it. Well, if the Federals confiscate every thing else - maybe then.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    JJ,if you do fire it,make sure you clean the barrel properly.....preferably with hot water washout.......as you probably know big increases in price for old guns has made yours worth upwards of $2000.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    JJ,if you do fire it,make sure you clean the barrel properly.....preferably with hot water washout.......as you probably know big increases in price for old guns has made yours worth upwards of $2000.
    Truly. I have been messing around with muzzle loaders since the late 60's. This one is close to museum quality - in some respects it honestly looks as though it left the Norwich factory a couple of months ago. The bore is mirror bright. So I was certainly not intending to shoot it. My cousin offered me some op hat caps and mine balls and I hesitated to accept them for that reason. But I kind of experienced a duck walking across my grave sensation and I thought that should it come down to no gun vs. my last gun = the Norwich - I reckoned I'd take them just because of that feeling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norwich lock plate and sight.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	304407
    Britons shall never be slaves.