Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you a fan of Worlds Finest Trimmer?

Any of you a fan of Worlds Finest Trimmer?

I need a power trimmer for .223 and 300 blackout. I was looking at this one as it indexes off the shoulder. What do you guys think?

Boolit Buddy
    They work really well, but are fairly expensive per caliber. Look at the Lyman E-Z trim that Midway sells, sometimes they're on sale for $115. Best bargain in a case trimmer, in my opinion.

Boolit Master

I use the WFT for .223, .308, 30-06. Works great for large volume. Drawback is that the case will need a slight outside and inside mouth trim to remove almost impercaptable & very-very slight lip where the brass flows in and out of the mouth edge. This is my preferred trimmer for these cases, but they are expensive and the WFT-2 inserts are still an additional $26.00 per insert for new case.

I have two Lyman case trimmers with pilots; one for 45-70 on down - the other is a dedicated Lyman 50BMG trimmer. Except for the 50BG I rarely use these anymore.

I have many of the Lee case Trimmers that consist of shell holder, case length gauge, cutter and lock stud. These I find useful for doing 20 to 100 cases when needed (30-40 Krag, .303, 7.62 Russian, 7x57, 6.5x55, 8x57, 300 WinMag, and.... Draw back is that over time the stud holding the case will get an indented dimple - resulting in a slightly shorter case trim. Postive benefit is they are the least costly of all options.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 08-26-2022 at 10:45 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

F.A. case trimmer indexes off the shoulder, does not work with straight wall cases.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012719754?pid=628405

I like mine.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

If it indexes off the shoulder, and you are trimming mixed brass, wouldn't the overall length vary?

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    If it indexes off the shoulder, and you are trimming mixed brass, wouldn't the overall length vary?
    Not if FL resized prior to trimming.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have one for .223 and used it for years with great success. Thousands of cases and the cutter is still quite sharp and it still cuts pretty clean. I found it to be repeatable to within .003 without much fuss.
    I've since upgraded to the FA platinum for bottleneck cases...but for a reasonably inexpensive solution for a single-caliber I found the WFT to be well worth it.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

They seem like they would be superb with a drill press. I don't think they would be fun to use at all with a hand drill. The Lee deluxe quick trim and die is the bees knees for trimming brass for me. A third option is an RCBS trimmer with the 3 in 1 cutting head, however, I've never liked their shell holders, and the pilot setup isn't that great either. They do work though.

I would never consider a trimmer that doesn't trim and deburr at the same time anymore. Maybe the Wilson trimmer is worth that accuracy, I'm not willing to deal with that.

I use the lee trim dies and have the lyman case prep do-hicky with the inside/outside debur + primer pocket cleaner + primer pocker reamer...

Makes sure all my brass is the same length.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Get the WFT 2. It has caliber specific inserts that are cheap to buy, allowing the ability to trim different calibers of brass with one trimmer body. I have one trimmer that will trim 223, 270, and 30-30 by simply changing the insert. Trim one piece of brass to perfect length and put it in the trimmer box. When you go to trim more of that caliber, use that piece of brass to set the trimmer depth and bobs you're uncle. Perfectly trimmed brass from then on for that caliber. Mine has trimmed around 2000 pieces of brass with no issue. The blades can also be resharpened at a machine shop.

Boolit Master
    I have one for trimming 223 brass and found it to do a good job quickly , but the fingers still get a work out after a few hundred cases , the first time .

I’ve looked at them in the past and for what you’re using it for, it will probably be fine. Not so fine if you must have brass the same length. I’ll shoot my brass several times and the spring back will create different shoulder profiles.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I’ve looked at them in the past and for what you’re using it for, it will probably be fine. Not so fine if you must have brass the same length. I’ll shoot my brass several times and the spring back will create different shoulder profiles.
    Says right there on their product page

Quote Originally Posted by Little Crow Gunworks
    Our Case Trimmers are made to work with Full Length Sized Cases.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Get the WFT 2. It has caliber specific inserts that are cheap to buy, allowing the ability to trim different calibers of brass with one trimmer body. I have one trimmer that will trim 223, 270, and 30-30 by simply changing the insert. Trim one piece of brass to perfect length and put it in the trimmer box. When you go to trim more of that caliber, use that piece of brass to set the trimmer depth and bobs you're uncle. Perfectly trimmed brass from then on for that caliber. Mine has trimmed around 2000 pieces of brass with no issue. The blades can also be resharpened at a machine shop.
    I like the idea of setting it up once and not having to mess with it again. With the WFT2 each time you change calibers you have to re-adjust it.

Boolit Buddy
    I chuck mine up in a mini-lathe. I can trim 200 full length sized cases in less than 10 minutes.
    I'll never be without one.

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    I chuck mine up in a mini-lathe. I can trim 200 full length sized cases in less than 10 minutes.
    I'll never be without one.
    I wish there was a cheaper version of something like a mini-lathe. Basically a drill press horizontally.

Boolit Grand Master
    I plan on trying the RCBS X die. Supposedly, after the initial trim, there is no need to trim a case again. I bought one for .223 but have not played with it yet. If I can get 8-10 reloads per case without trimming I will be happy. .223 brass is not expensive so pitching it after 8-10 uses will work for me. Once fired .223 cases are $100/k and can sell them as scrap for $20. 8000 loads for a brass cost of $80 comes to a penny per shot. Beats having to trim and debur 1000 cases another 1-2 times.

I will be using an RCBS powered trimer to initially trim cases. Looked at the WFT and would get one if I did not already have the RCBS. But I do not shoot enough to justify investing another $100 for something I will use once every 8000 rounds if the X dies works. If primers stay in the $100/k area I will not be shooting much CF.

I read Larry Gibson had good success with it on .308 cases IIRC and that sold me trying it.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I have used an RCBS X die in 30-30 for a lot of years. I have never needed to trim them since. To me that is proof that most case stretch comes from the dies.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have the rcbs pro trim with micrometer trim, And a wilson debur tool that does in and out. It comes with 5 caliber plates and buttons.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have used an RCBS X die in 30-30 for a lot of years. I have never needed to trim them since. To me that is proof that most case stretch comes from the dies.
    Don't fault me for the skeptical. But trim .223 brass one time and shoot it through an AR and reload it until the brass has a defect? While never having to trim it more than once?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast