WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: CPAP while camping or power outage

Boolit Master

CPAP while camping or power outage

I am looking for a solution for powering my CPAP during camping trips or power outages. The solutions I have found from the CPAP companies are very expensive and are only good for a day or two. Has anyone come up with a solution that won't break the bank and will last for several days while camping?

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

I have a battery back up from a company called max oak. I bought it on Amazon. I get 5 8 hour nights.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.amazon.com/42000mAh-Port...871607351&th=1

I don't use a cpap but I've read several people that use this and a solar panel to recharge during the day. You would have to figure the current draw of your cpap to see if this would last all night. I use one of these with a solar panel to recharge phones, laptops etc and it works quite well for as small as it is. If it were me I'd go a battery pack/solar panel system.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Similar situation though with mama and the 5th wheel we centrally end up at a full hookup. . Generic portable power is out there. Probably the simplest method is a properly sized inverter and a standard 12v battery, which are available at at the usual Amazon, Wally World Hoeerable freight camping world and so on

12 volt power unit for the machine. 100 watt solar panel, $20 Amazon charge controller, deep cycle battery.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Pics. Also get a boating style battery box with 12v outlets if you can afford it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Pics. Also get a boating style battery box with 12v outlets if you can afford it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I bought a folding 60W that has a handle to carry it around. Plugs in the back for a laptop, phone etc and also serial ports to hitch 3 together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Get a deep cycle bat battery, a charge controller and solar panel of choice, and a small inverter if your cpap doesn't accept 12 volts(many do). Size your inverter to twice the size of the cpap draw. Look at the manual and see how many amps it draws and multiply by 120 to get watts(how most inverters are rated). Getting a bigger inverter can be handy around a campsite if you need to use any tools...1,000 watt minimum, 2,000 better to run electric hand tools. Battery ones take very little power to charge, 200 watts or so...

Even Harbor freight has a solar panel recharged battery pack. Works...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I use an inverter hooked to car/truck battery and long extension cord to power 2 cpaps during power outage and at hunting camp. inverter shuts off at 10 v leaving enough power to start vehicle and recharge battery.It just takes 15 to 20 min. to recharge the battery. I have used this setup for 4 days without charging the battery .

Well ..green energy is great if the wind is blowing or the sun is shining but if the sleet is falling side ways at 3 AM you are screwed
    So you don't want to spend much money just for a machine to keep you out of cardiac arrest hum???...
    Well expand what else you might keep alive with a slightly larger investment ..like refrigerator, deep freeze, run your home heat source if you have wood or gas, water well is you are rural, and the list goes on and you can do it a small portable INVERTER type generator
    The inverter system protects delicate items like you CPAP and any other fairly new appliances like microwave, furnace controllers etc
    Here is a way to consider:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/predator (this is a 10% off coupon)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...ogy-59137.html (this is the item that will work for you home and away)
    buy electric start
    buy big enough to run a 13,500 RV Air Conditioner
    This model will take two to lift but it also has built in castors
    We are CPAP'ers too and campers and in ice storms and power outages in general and we have been all thru how to get'er done

SO for home we NOW have a 14KW inverter generator established in it's own shed and a fully wired panel so we are set to better continue to function here at home ...before the big unit now in place we had the unit I am suggesting you buy but of course had to carefully manage what all we turned on at once

Sorry if I over killed you very simple request for a cheap solution but the cheap is chancy ..the kind of expensive just fixes the CPAP ..and a bit more solves power outages and all

Good luck
    Bear

Boolit Master

Get one of those Honda or harbor freight knock off 2000w generators that are whisper quiet. I have the harbor freight knock off. 2kw. And it has an economy setting if you only need 900-1kw.. Inverter style... The eco setting makes it even quieter. Last camping trip my buddy used it for his cpap. It ran 2 nights on its fuel tank and wasn't dry. Ran it in eco mode..no issues. Used 100' extension cord to get it away from camp..set it behind a dirt berm.. 0 issues.

Boolit Master
    Sorry but short legs is wrong.
    If you have a flat battery it may only take half an hour to get a field charge in your battery to start a vehicle.
    Batteries are sponges that suck up and store electric potential.

Having said that any ‘ol battery will do in a pinch.

It means you have to keep it charged.

A 2nd battery in your ute and take it out when needed seems one idea that will work without without fuss with a good charger.
    I have a 2kva Honda generator that I use over the cyclone season and it keeps our freezer and food and most essentials working.
    A "real" 240 v battery charger on a lithium battery would be hard to beat as well.
    We have enough solar roll out panels 20 years old that keeps our camp fed and battery charged.

One could always go for a drive to charge a battery but if you have a deep cycle that will only take 8 amps I put then expect a long drive to have it charged. Live 10 hrs+

The ccpap companies have ‘small’ lithium batteries for a "price" if your a frequent flyer and may need battery back up.

This is what I use. I get a full 8 out of it. If I turn off the heater and cellphone portion.

200W Peak Power Station, Flashfish CPAP Battery 166Wh 45000mAh Backup Power Pack 110V 150W Lithium Battery Pack Camping Solar Generator For CPAP Camping Home Emergency Power Supply https://a.co/d/bsaZ8fj

Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk