Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Vintage Peters 357 Magnum Ammunition

Vintage Peters 357 Magnum Ammunition

I thought these pictures were interesting, note that the 158 gr lead bullets are slightly crimped over the front shoulder of the bullet (same practice I do for the Lyman 358429).

Lyman’s 357 Mag load data for the 358477 (mine are 155 gr) has 1.510” OAL, those are crimped on their shoulders as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 88D5C710-EC93-41C3-B91E-60E34ECB843F.jpeg   5A033C4E-CE1B-4EA6-8223-247422BF4A00.jpeg   91B05517-7398-4968-B9BB-F758F94F4404.jpeg  
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

Boolit Master
    I had some Remington 41 mag factory shells that were similar and those were half jackets. They looked like a solid lead bullet but the bearing surface was a copper cup. I shot them up several years ago; they were accurate but extremely hot - huge muzzle flash out of a pistol.

Boolit Master

If those are anything like the Winchester Luballoy bullets of yesteryear they have the ability to make your rifeling disappear!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    +1^^^
    Those Luballoy cartridges were absolutely terrible for leading up the barrels of those revolvers unfortunate enough to have them fired from them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Best I can remember I fired 6 of the Lubaloy 357 and they locked up my S&W model 19 every round. Finally disgusted I quit only to find it was a blessing in disguise for if I had been able to fire more I would still be digging the lead out of the bore and that was 40 years ago.
    YIKES!!!

Boolit Master
    The original Remington and Winchester .41 Magnum POLICE loads with the 210 grain soft lead SWC bullet would do the same thing...no rifling to be seen after about 12 rounds. The .41s described above sound like the Speer .41 Blaser rounds that were only marketed for a short time. They used the 200 grain jacketed SWC-HP bullet that had no lead bearing on the bore...

I think the reason that the early .357s were crimped over the shoulder is that S&W messed up when they brought out the .357 Registered Magnum (Model 27) as all they did was rechamber a .38-44 Outdoorsman to .357 and fancy it up with a high polish blue and checkered topstrap. They should have reduced the barrel shank to even with the frame and lengthened the cylinder.

Bob

RJM2, very good points
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”