Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Stevens 9mm RF question

Boolit Master

Stevens 9mm RF question

My brother just bought a Stevens model 940 at a gun show this morning and we can't find any information on one of the barrels that came with the gun. It has a 20ga barrel installed and came with an extra barrel that is marked as a 9mm RF and the barrel is rifled with rifle sights installed. The barrel release lever is on top of the receiver behind the hammer. The 9mm RF barrel fits the receiver and locks up solid, the frame has only 1 firing pin and no other type of selector. I have searched the net with as many different configurations but have came up with zero information on this odd barrel. The only thing I can come close to finding is a 9mm shot shell. I'm curious to hear if any of the many knowable members here has any information on such a barrel made by Stevens. See the attached pictures. Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	304288

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	304289

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess the big question is: Does the firing pin on the frame line up with the rim cutout of the barrel? It looks like it might have a clearance cut for a normal CF pin at the top of the chamber.

Wild guess for date of manufacture 1920-30's.

Definitely an uncommon caliber in the US.

Robert

Boolit Master
    You might not want to even worry about 9mm ammo. I would slug the bore and measure the chamber and see what centerfire cartridge might work since you said the barrel is rifled. .38 S&W, .38 Special, .38 Colt or .38 Long Colt. If you want to use it as a shot gun you could load reformed centerfire brass like .357 Mag or Max but with the rifling and no choke the patterns would be loose, range would have to be short.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I guess the big question is: Does the firing pin on the frame line up with the rim cutout of the barrel? It looks like it might have a clearance cut for a normal CF pin at the top of the chamber.

Wild guess for date of manufacture 1920-30's.

Definitely an uncommon caliber in the US.

Robert
    The relief cut for the firing pin looks to be way off from centerfire. With no option to select a different firing pin (like a savage 24) it makes me wonder if this barrel was picked up to try without knowing if it would work or not. I had just never heard of a rimfire in this large a caliber in a model as late as this one is which lets me think that the 9mm RF does not go with this model.

As far as rechamber that would be an option if slugging proved it is feasible. Re-sleeve to something interesting also possible.

We were more interesting in the history or even if the barrel goes with this model or what model it was made to go with.

Thanks for the comments.

wcp

Barnes lists a 9mm RF shotshell. Made by Winchester, 1920 to 1927. They apparently made a gun for it. But you say the bore is rifled.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Barnes lists a 9mm RF shotshell. Made by Winchester, 1920 to 1927. They apparently made a gun for it. But you say the bore is rifled.
    Yes the winchester is a model 36 in 9mm shotshell.

Name:	Winchester 36.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	304306

wcp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Fiocchi still loads them... both shot and ball .

Boolit Buddy
    I would slug the barrel and re-chamber it. The bore would most likely be suitable for 38 Special (or 38 S&W if .360)

Boolit Buddy

Bagged my first dove with a Winchester similar to one shown. Age eight or nine…no he wasn’t flying.. still have the old gun… and a box of shells from J G Schmidt and Sons (famous old Memphis sporting goods from way way back when….)

Possible that this is a popular "garden gun" cartridge in Europe? Fiocchi offers the name of Flobert for it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

I recall the old gunsmith at J G Schmidt’s calling it a taxidermist gun. I don’t know what size shot it used, but i never the likes since then.

That term was applied by Hopkins and Allen to one of their single shots, if I recall correctly. Late 19th century there was a fad for mounting small stuffed birds in women's hats. Hence a market fo the little shotguns.
    Cognitive Dissident