MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replica Paradox Loading Tools

Boolit Master
    You taking it to the Vintage Cup this week by any chance to shoot in double bore class ? I’m not coming up but am curious .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Am I seeing that rifling right? It appears to be similar to ratchet rifling but reversed so it is the taper face driving the slug to rotate.

I have not understood the reason for ratchet rifling except possible that it produces better shot patterns than a standard rifling form. My impression from reading was that Fosbery tried several different types of rifling and settled on the ratchet style but that was for slugs if I understand correctly. Not sure why it would matter for slugs as long as the slug doesn't skid and with the choke constriction down to 0.690" from 0.740" I really can't imagine the slug skidding.

As for rifling twist, I have read differing opinions from various sources. Ross Seyfried says his H&H Paradox gun has 1:36" which seems awfully fast to me and especially for the time the Paradox gun was invented. The Paradox bullet is not far from square (diameter to length) so a slow rifling twist of something around 1:110" should be correct. Even a faster twist of 1:72" or thereabouts should stabilize a relatively long boolit so why 1:36"?

I contacted the Longon gun room of H&H a few years ago and asked some questions. The gun room manager was very friendly and helpful even though I told him I would not likely be a customer unless I won a large lottery. He managed to answer most of my questions but did not know the rifling twist. He said the gunsmiths simply used the original tooling.

As a note, the London gun room manager told me to stop by if I am in London and they would show me a Paradox gun and even let me shoot it! I thought that was a very generous offer since he knew I would not be a customer and this is no ordinary gun room or gun.

Modern rifled choke tubes run 1:36" to 1:38" and that is to suit sabot slugs. Round balls or square slugs do not need or want a twist that fast.

That is a great pic of the muzzle! The rifling twist does appear to be fairly fast so maybe 1:36" is correct?

Thanks for posting that.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    I was planning on shooting it in the stopping rifle class but I am not sure right now. We had a big debate about "extra" holes in the target last year from the wads and which holes to count. I pointed out that the holes showing the lead ring should be the one to score but I couldn't convince the scorer. I was surprised by how far the wads could go but they don't have the petals on them either.

I had to go back to my notes and the choke is approximately 1 in 36. Maybe it is a bit steeper than would seem to be required because there is a bit of skidding going on. There is about 30 points of choke in it so you wouldn't think there would be much of that happening. The slug I shoot is almost pure lead and the edges are lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and let dry. I haven't seen any leading yet. Those old guys had it figured out pretty well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paradox Slug HP.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	304475
    This is the first slug from the CBE mold. It is 700 grains with the hollow point. I have yet to test it for expansion but may do it this winter.
    Thanks, Squid

Boolit Grand Master

That is my all time favourite boolit!

I have thought about buying a CBE mould and trying it as an attached wad slug for smoothbore. It might work with a rifled choke tube too but should certainly work in a fully rifled bore... I just have to buy a rifled barrel.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    There are a couple guys I know working on screw in rifled chokes but without a lot of success. I think it can be made to work just like a Paradox but it may take some effort. I have never had a fully rifled barrel so I cannot comment from experience but I don't see much reason that one wouldn't shoot well. I think the same factors apply as in any cast bullet rifle. I have been thinking about the attached wad idea much like the Brenneke but just haven't gotten around to working on it. I would like to see someone try it. The CBE molds I have are all excellent quality and cast nice boolits. I am not sure if he is still working as I had heard he was trying to sell it. I see the website is still up. Thanks, Squid

Boolit Master
    Squid Boy I wish I were coming tommorrow to see you and Kevin and Austin again . But the trip to Hausemanns is getting longer for a third trip this year if you count June there and July at Mike’s . Maybe next year ! I’m hoping the Vintage Cup will be at Pintail Point or Schraders next year .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I'm speculating here a bit, but it makes sense to me that a screw-in choke would benefit from gain twist rifling. I know a screw-in is quite short in relation to an entire barrel but entry at almost full velocity, around 15%-20% away from the muzzle - would be easier on the projectile if it entered straight on and then began to twist. I also agree that the twist probably doesn't need to be tight - I suspect a finish rate of 1-72" would be sufficient to spin that big boy...

Boolit Bub

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid Boy View Post
    Does anybody know of someone making replica loading tools for a Paradox gun? I would like to finish off the case I keep it in with the proper tool set but cannot find any. I contacted H&H and they said they will resume making them but had no time line for when that might be. Plus I would expect the price to be out of range. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Squid Boy
    There's one on the Bay, made of brass. Cost was $175.00

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12