Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thought on Rotometals

Boolit Mold

Thought on Rotometals

Any thoughts on Rotometals? I was thinking about ordering a small amount of their lead until I can nail down a local source, but they wouldn’t allow me to calculate shipping before ordering
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

They ship everything from a small box of tin to pallets of pigs. I can understand why calculating shipping would be problematic in a web store. If shipping would be a deal breaker you can always call.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I buy from them all the time. Great company. As far as shipping goes, it's free if you meet the minimum of $99 IIRC.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Banner at the top of the page says $149 for free shipping now. 53 pounds of the $2.29 per pound 2-4% antimonial lead on sale plus a $28 bar of tin and you have 54 pounds of great alloy.

It would break my heart to pay almost $3 a pound for casting alloy, but a man gotta do what a man gotta do.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    I order 50 pounds at a time. Shipping is free. I have NO local source. The wheel balance weights from tire shops are no longer made of lead and cannot be used for bullet casting.

I've bought from them in times past. Good company.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Placed an order several days ago, due today. It shipped within MINUTES!

Boolit Master

There a great place to get casting lead from; Like all rest of you been casting for over 35 years and don't like paying that much for lead, but if you average the cost still lower than store purchased bullets if you Don't count your time.

Plus to old to hump 150 pound bucket's of wheel weights anymore.

Boolit Mold

Thanks guys, the reason I’m asking is I will only be ordering 5lbs this time, and thought the shipping might triple the cost

Boolit Master
    They had pure lead bricks, about 26# each a while back. Ordered 5 of them and shipping was free. When i first started casting i ordered some 20/1 alloy from them, was a good way to start. They are a solid outfit.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    Thanks guys, the reason I’m asking is I will only be ordering 5lbs this time, and thought the shipping might triple the cost
    It very well might. Check your PM.

Boolit Master
    What are you casting for, might be simpler to order an alloy that meets your needs. Given the difficulty in finding lead sources a small order won't go very far and if like a lot of us you will find you're going to be doing a lot more casting/shooting than planned once you start casting your own. Bite the bullet (pun intended) and order enough for a pot full or two to tide you over until you get sources locally.

Boolit Master
    any thoughts on rotometals? I was thinking about ordering a small amount of their lead until i can nail down a local source, but they wouldn’t allow me to calculate shipping before ordering
    thanks
    if you are close enough you can go there and pick up you order?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    if you are close enough you can go there and pick up you order?
    MN (Minnesota) anywhere seems pretty far from San Leandro, CA, unless RotoMetals has distribution locations elsewhere.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Yes. On a small order like just 5 pounds, the shipping cost will eat you up. That is why I always order in quantities sufficient to get FREE shipping.

5 lbs can be ship by USPS Priority Mail® . Casting alloy - https://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=12 $2.55 a pound . 6Sb2Sn92Pb Antimonial Lead

Boolit Master
    Amazon might send you 5lb with free shipping. The quality will be questionable and the price will be high, but maybe not as high as 5lb from rotometals.
    On the other hand - 5lb might not be a useful quantity. I avoid casting with less than double my pot capacity. If you have zero lead and are getting 5lb to fill a small Lee dipper pot, I would still recommend getting 10lb because ladle dipping isn’t so great when that shallow pot is only half full.

Boolit Grand Master

While 5 pounds can ship in a SFRB if I ran a business, I wouldn’t be interested in shipping lead that way. The effort involved to pack it so it survives the trip would kill your profit.

Boolit Master
    Your better off getting small amounts from S&S, but still cheaper to buy in bulk.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Your better off getting small amounts from S&S, but still cheaper to buy in bulk.
    Agree 100% place a want to buy ad here in the market place. I sell a lot of near pure lead, Linotype, Solder and pewter all the time. I have an ad right now with a lot of linotype. Cheaper then most anything you'll find form any store.