WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Getting a new brass mold ready for casting

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Getting a new brass mold ready for casting

I know there are users that just take them out and use them right out of the box. I tried that on my first brass mold I bought here on a group buy. It tinned really badly. I had a heck of a time using wooden sticks and wax along with other methods not recommended by the cast boolit community. Finally got all the tinning out. Second mold I heated in the oven a half dozen times. Still got tinning. I know I over heat my mold which is the culprit imo. I run it fast and hot. My 4/20 pot heat setting is around 8.5. Well I got my group buy 10mm mold yesterday. Figured I’d try something different to ge5 some extra patina on it. I first cleaned it like always and heat cycled it four times in my oven. Didn’t look like the color hardly changed. I have made patina on my brass 1917 sling with fumes from a mix of hot vinegar and salt mix. Figured I’d try it on my mold. I made the mix and poured it into Tupperware that has separate compartments. That way I could set my mold halves in a compartment next to my salt and vinegar mix without getting the solution on the mold. I then covered it. About 20 min later I already had some dark spots on my mold from the condensation. I took a napkin and dipped it in my vinigar solution. I then wiped the mold down to remove the darker spots and covered it back up. About an hour or so later I took the mold out and cycled it in the oven one more time for about an hour and a half at 400 degrees. Hopefully it helps from tinning during my hot casting sessions. I’ll try and keep the temp down a little this time around.

Brand new…

Different lighting but all the same Afterwards…

Whether it works or not I figured I would take a little bit of time and try and build up some Pantina. I didn’t do the pins but will end up just running them as is.

I know a lot of users heat cycle. I figure I’d try a vinegar and salt solution mix and give it a try figured it wouldn’t hurt and cost anything but my time since I already had both on hand. It sure puts a nice deep patina on the mold in an hour or two. I don’t think the extra last bake in the oven did any more justice. A good 2 hours in a container suspended above a salt and vinegar solution will put a heck of a patina on a mold. I did have some turquoise color starting in spots so I wiped them off with a with paper towel dipped in my solution.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-09-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Casted almost a full pot of 16/1 alloy on my fist session tonight. Started noticing finding towards the end of my session so I knew I had leakage and tinning. Was only in a couple of spots. I quit casting and believe I got it all wiped out. Wasn't alot vs a normal "tinning" like I usually have.

It sure made some pretty HP boolits for 10mm.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-11-2022 at 04:06 PM.

I ran another 15 pounds of 16/1 through my mold today. I polished my HP pins with mothers chrome polish first this time around. My boolits fell right out for the first 2/3’s casting session. But towards the end I had to give the pins a tap with my gloved hand and they would release and fall out easily doing so.

Boolit Master

I admire your results.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!