MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Ballistic Products data breach

Boolit Master

Ballistic Products data breach

I received a letter in the mail from BP that said one of their vendors had experienced a data breach that occurred between Sept 2020 and Feb 2022. They said some customers could have had personal info stolen. I was instructed to contact a company called IDX for free (?) security monitoring. I found this odd, why didn't they send a mass email? They certainly have my address. Did anyone else get one of these? I contacted them yesterday but no response yet

Boolit Bub
    I got the same letter the other day. I haven't tried to contact IDX yet.

Boolit Bub
    I'm not sure how concerned I should be. I haven't placed an order in over a year. We recently did a mortgage and nothing "unusual" came up in the all the credit checks involved in that process. No mysterious loans, purchases, or credit cards.

Boolit Master
    Its funny that the old 'snail mail' is the only method that can be relied on not to be hacked............one of my favourite forums shows messages all the time that its a bad site.....the forum say they cant afford any better security,and advise me to use an old computer I dont really need ,and dont have any financial details on it.

Boolit Master

Scammers had got so good that they can send a legit looking e-mail and harvest your info. The "site" will ask you to sign into your account. The scammer can get your user ID and password and they are off to the races. Many times they ask you to update info. Such as security questions etc.
    Never sign into a web site from an e-mail. Always go to the http website to sign into your account. Again never from an email.

Boolit Master

Yes, I got one yesterday.

Boolit Bub
    I got one today as well. Noticed that the letter I received has Ballistic Products logo with a P.O. Box address from West Sacramento, CA. I believe their company in located in Minnesota. Perhaps a scam?
    Last edited by Paf; 09-10-2022 at 09:04 PM.

I got the letter from BPI three days ago. I don't know if it's something that concerns me as it's been quite some time since my last order and have changed my debit cards a couple times since. I don't believe it's a scam as I got the same notice from two health care providers on the same day. Gp

Boolit Master
    Its unlikely 'snail mail' is going to be connected to an internet scam....simply because it costs money to post letters..........although ,I get a different kind of scam letters .....real estate scams .....always wanting to buy my property with a 'rich client' putting up the money........or so they claim.

Boolit Master

I noticed the same thing Paf. That was another reason I was skeptical. I still haven't gotten a response from BP.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    No involvement in this whatsoever . . . but in reading this post, I didn't notice anybody mention actually call BP to verify if the "letter" is legit . . . seems like that would be the first step?

Boolit Master

well, I emailed them, seems to be the preferred communication method these days. A call gets you a telephone answerer and usually multiple transfers