MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a newly manufactured Savage Model 99?

Boolit Master

Would you buy a newly manufactured Savage Model 99?

Would you buy a newly manufactured Savage Model 99?
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Would depend on price, quality, and cartridge offered in. But I think I could be tempted.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

What Ghosthawk said^^^^^^^^^ But I already own 3 of the older 99’s and can still find them used at prices less than what anyone that would start making them again would charge. Just like the new Ruger made Marlin’s , I don’t see much appeal as you can still buy good used JM Marlins for far less than the new ones so Why ?

Jedman

Big issue would be price.........

The reason many classics no longer exist is the much larger cost to manufacture them today.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    In .250 or .300 Savage, yes without a doubt. In a common as dirt cartridge (.243, .308, etc.), only if I got an incredible deal on one. I think that Savage could sell alot of them if they kept the 99 styling but redesigned the action for modern manufacturing to keep the cost down.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Would depend on price, quality, and cartridge offered in. But I think I could be tempted.
    Me Too.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Maybe, depending on price ?

Boolit Master
    You would think that modern machining could make up for some of the cost. Those Tisas 1911's for instance.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with Charlie on this one. I think that with modern CAD and CDC equipment, you could make a "2022" that would be pretty neat without pricing it to the moon. I'd be in for a 30 caliber version, or a 260 Remington.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Part of TISAS’s price advantage may because they’re made overseas.

Boolit Master

my 2 cents- probably not. I own a couple really nice ones. I don't care for the "cock on closing" feel. They are very tough to work while still on the shoulder. In that respect, a '94 win has them beat hands down. The cresent butt plate is not so comfy either. I think the old world craftsmanship could not be duplicated in a rifle I could afford, or would afford. However, if in 38-55.... or maybe .22x30-30 which is a necked down 30-30 to .22 you'ld have a good, reloadable approximation of the 22 Savage HP, That would be cool.

I have owned 1899s in .22 HI Power, .250-3000, and 30-30 Win. I have owned one 99 in .300 Savage. I guess that I'm not enamored; the Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 are my idea of a lever action.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    GHOSTHAWK has it right. They got very expensive to produce, and I didn't grab one of each in every caliber available, when I could.
    The .22 Savage HP was developed from the .25-35 Winchester, a development from the .30-30 Winchester. Another round developed from one or the other rounds is the .219 Zipper, which compares favourably with the .22 Savage HP and the .22-250 (and it's difficult to get better than that, for a high(er)-velocity .22 centerfire).
    I'D want one in .243, .308, and (this part would be tough), either .284, or .358. Since it appears there are no Grizzly nor Kodiak bear hunts in my future, the need for a .358 is not clear.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I use Savage 99's every year for most hunting. Wife uses .243 on antelope, .358 on elk, deer, I use 300, 308, and 358 for whatever. I think the 99 is smoother operating than the Marlin and Winchester lever guns and find the cock on closing to be and easier/ the same as my Marlin 336's, 444, and 45-70. I have savage 99's in 303, 300, 30-30, 243, 308, 358 and 284 so I don't know if I could be convinced that a new one would be needed. Maybe a 338 Federal or 223 ? I like the ones that are available, maybe a hanger for the two piece stock could be created, like the Henry Long Ranger or Browning BLR to free float the barrel, but MOA accuracy can usually be achieved through appropriate tinkering on stock bedding and trigger pull. Maybe the new ones could be re-engineered to reduce case stretching under 'max' loads though two or three grains below book/manual max works just fine.

Boolit Master
    Have three. T/D 30-30. 300 carbine and a 300 long barrel rifle. Non are scoped. One has a peep. Two have original open barrel sights. All are pre 60.__For years I had the hots for a 250 but over time I got over the erge. Would I buy a newly manufactured Savage? I don't know? Would have to have a newly manufactured one in my hands to make that decision.

Boolit Bub

it would be nice but i personally would only be interested in the original savage cartridges 22 hi power 250,300,303 savage what would be cool one in the old wildcat 270 savage.

Boolit Master

If quality and price were good I think I'd be a buyer. I'm a bigger fan if the Winchester 88.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Likely not. If the Stevens HiPower was resurrected, I'd find a way to buy it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe, just maybe, if it were in .38-55.

Boolit Grand Master

I might be interested, again depending on cost quality and finish. I would be hard pressed to turn down one with nice wood, color case hardening and deep blue in 338 federal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast