Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: New to me Sig P225A

Boolit Master

New to me Sig P225A

Just received a new to me Sig Sauer P225A, though they seem to get good on line reviews;

1. Is there anything I need to look for, weak points etc
    2. Of course how well do they tolerate cast Boolit?

Boolit Master
    They usually have tight tolerances!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master
    Other than coming with tight, tight tolerances which can cause a few blips early on, the only thing wrong with them is the price. They are a bit pricy, but I have a P-6 West German Police trade in that is one of my favorites. Yeah, the mags only hold 8 rounds, but how much do you plan on missing? I am a big fan of Sigs, and own 4, the P6 a new model P-210, a P220 45 ACP, and a .357 Sig 229. You will like the accuracy, though the DA-SA trigger takes getting used to.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I've had a P225A for five years or so. Nice gun, all in all, and a good cast bullet shooter. I prefer its single stack grip width to the fatter grips found on my M11A1 (P229). The DA first shot then SA for subsequent shots mode of operation takes some time to master, but will work out for you with patience. Too, I really like Sig's version of tritium night sights on my gun. I got lucky finding mine...it came with 5 Sig mags and I was out the door for $600 plus tax, (pre-Covid/Biden hysteria of course).

Mine will feed truncated cone 124's as well as LSWC's of the same weight. I've had good luck with Lymans 356402 sized to 0.357" cast from ACWW + a pinch of tin to get good fill out. I lube with 50-50 alox/beeswax. As a matter of fact, I've yet to find a bullet that won't feed through the gun. As a rule, mine likes 124's over 115's from an accuracy standpoint, but jacketed and cast.

I look for good solid functioning, then accuracy and take any safe velocity that will fulfill both criteria. Groups run 2-3" at 25 yds from a rest with good bullets. For commercial types, Missouri Bullet Co used to offer the LSWC's (124's at 0.356" IIRC) but with that hard commercial lube. I re-lube these with Lee Liquid Alox using their swirl technique...resulting in no leading issues and good accuracy. With jacketed types, Rem, Hornady & Montana Gold JHP's: 124's, are good...better than any 115 gr jacketed bullet I've yet tried.

For powders, I like Unique & 231 for the most part, though WSF is good too. I start with "starter" loads from the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual and work up looking for the aforementioned function and accuracy.

HTH's Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 09-10-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    My one regret is that the 225A mags Don't interchange with the originals.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.