RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 40 S&W - 180gr Cast SWC for Beretta 96a1?

Boolit Mold

40 S&W - 180gr Cast SWC for Beretta 96a1?

Greetings All,

I am new to this forum. My first post... but I have followed this forum previously.

I am getting back into shooting rifle and pistol and reloading after many years away.

Several years ago I worked up a load in 40 S&W of 5.7gr of Accurate #5 under a hard-cast 180gr SWC (CP Bullets). At that time, I was shooting this load out of a S&W 4006, a Tanfoglio semi (CZ copy) and a Star Firestar SA pistol (1911 design). I had sporadic feeding problems with this load in the S&W and Tanfoglio pistols which were new at the time. The Firestar fed this load without a problem.

I fell on hard times and sold those pistols but now own a Sig229 (40S&W) and a Beretta 96a1 (on order). Years ago, I hand-loaded approximately 350-400 rounds of the aforementioned load and have hopes of shooting them… and then reloading with the same 180gr cast SWC and copper-plated RN bullets (X-TREME) already on-hand. These hand-loads meets dimensional specs (OAL; diameter at case mouth/base, etc.) per my Speer reloading manual. Regrettably, the Sig229 will not feed this round. The rounds get stuck half-way up the ramp and the bullet/case gets pinched by the slide. They will not chamber in the Sig229. The Sig has no problem feeding 180gr FMJ and JHPs. I may try cast RN bullets in the Sig in the future.

I ordered the Beretta 96a1 because I like the pistol for range shooting. I already own a Beretta 92FS (9mm). I am hoping the Beretta 96a1 will feed this cast SWC hand-load given it’s design (a more direct feed from the top of mag to the chamber).

Any thoughts / recommendations / cautions regarding the function of this load in a Beretta 96a1? I don’t want to damage a new pistol...or have to pull bullets from these rounds and start over.

Appreciate the feedback… Thanks all!!

Boolit Master

I have found the 96 to be very friendly to cast bullets. I used to shoot a lot of 175gr Lee flat nose tumble lube bullets through them, using AA#7. I also shot some commercially cast, similarly shaped, 180gr bullets.

I have found that 92 barrels are all way larger in groove diameter than 'book' diameter, running about .3575". Beretta 96 barrels are right where they are supposed to be, and I never saw Leading with .401" barrels.

Boolit Master
    Five years back, I bought a Sig P938. I can tell you that their tolerances are tight. Took quite a while to break in.
    I usually use a Wilson chamfer tool for inside and outside the case mouth. The chamfer makes it easier for them to chamber. I do it right before I use the flare die. Three turns inside, three outside. Have three 9mm handguns that all shoot the same ammo. I do use a Lee 356-125 roundnose but, I've used other bullets too(Lyman Devastator, SWC Valiants that I bought, and RCBS SWC).
    Originally, I worked up my loads in a tight- chambered TC Contender. That is the one that taught me that cases catch on the rim of the case mouth (more than you'd believe possible!). Nothing chambered in that barrel until I discovered the right combination of chamfer and flare.
    Might want to consider it.
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I shoot this one NOE HTC402-188-WFN in a glock with a KKM barrel on top of 7.9 grain of AA#7.
    I PC these and they are very accurate and very consistent. Personally, I think the cup-point version is the most accurate but maybe it is because I like how they look...

I came up with this load long ago and I don't think I ever chrono'd it... So, I recently shot 20 rounds with my LabRadar and my ES was 49 - low was 1008 and high was 1057 but my average was 1029 and my SD was 13.7fps. And a lot of the shots were right in the 1020 fps range.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold
    Hey All - Thanks for the advice/feedback for the Beretta 96a1 and my SIG229. I will try a few of my previously handloaded 40S&W lead SWCs in the 96a1 once it arrives and check for signs of any trouble. I'm hopeful the 96a1 will feed these rounds so I can use them up and reload appropriately. I will also look to chamfer case mouth as noted above and try cast bullets again in my SIG229. Appreciate the advice!!

Boolit Master
    I have a SIG P226 and a S&W M&P in 40 S&W. I have not had problems with a 155 SWC or the 180 Flatnose Truncated Cone Lead Bullets in either pistol. I have mostly used TiteGroup or HP38 for the powder. I do TAPER crimp all my .40 reloads. Simply taper crimping my help your reloads chamber more smoothly. Most companies make taper crimp dies for semi-auto cartridges, I have a Redding Taper Crimp die for the .40.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mostly lever Guns is preaching the gospel here. I taper crimp all my pistol loads, except the 32 ACP. If I don't, sooner or later one will hang up. A taper crimp die is your friend.

However, you may find that a SWC is not the most auto-loader friendly design. Those sharp shoulders and broad meplats may make scoring easy and kill game better, but they don't do a thing for making the trip from magazine to chamber easier. My favorites for auto pistols are all RNFP. (Some are also HP, thank you, Miha Previc and 45 2.1.)
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-12-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I use a TC 165 qrn 180 in my XDm & PX4. No problems. SWC I don't use in autoloaders. Use a 9mm RNFP in 938 and XDs. Taper crimp. BLL or PC for lube. SWC make nice round holes for scoring but I use TC for SD and hunting. You're probably hanging on the edge and getting over-run of the slide.
    Whatever!