Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a s&w model 39 be converted to Model 52 by adding a 52s slide, barrel, etc

Boolit Bub
    It sure is. The Model 39-2 was not made with a steel frame.

Boolit Master

I know S&W made some all steel 39’s early on. Then made stainless versions: 639 and 3906.
    I purchased an early 59 when they came out. The slide to frame fit was tight for about 10,000 rounds. The aluminum frame got pretty sloppy after that. Replaced it with a 5906.

Boolit Grand Master

https://americanhandgunner.com/handg...-sws-model-39/

The prototype used an alloy frame. Wanting to cover all bases, in the early ’50’s the factory forged 1,000 steel frames. They also designed a single-action variation. Samples were provided to the US military for testing. About this time the military decided to stay with the pistols on hand. It would be another 30 years before a new pistol was adopted........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................Remember those 1,000 steel frames forged in the early ’50’s? In 1966 the factory decided to finish machining the 927 steel frames still on hand, assemble completed pistols on them and release them for commercial sale. These were marked model “39” and sold along with the alloy framed version, in three s/n ranges: 35,000 between 60,000-64,000 and 80,000.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    First major problem! I have not been able to locate a 9mm barrel liner small enough to use in the Model 52's barrel. I am considering having a tube installed on the end of a Model 39 barrel to make it long enough to use in the 52's slide. We'll see what the gunsmith says.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SGM5091 View Post
    First major problem! I have not been able to locate a 9mm barrel liner small enough to use in the Model 52's barrel. I am considering having a tube installed on the end of a Model 39 barrel to make it long enough to use in the 52's slide. We'll see what the gunsmith says.
    I’m not following your plan. A 52’s barrel is roughly .357” ID, a 9 mm is roughly .356”.
    Would have to be a pretty thin liner. If your goal is a 52 that shoots 9mm, look for a 952 barrel. The 952 barrel to model 52 barrel bushing fit may be an issue, as well as general barrel fit up.
    I think Clark or someone made 38 WC replacement barrels for model 52’s.
    It would be expensive but you might find one on eBay or S&W forum.

Edit note: two model 52 barrels listed on eBay
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 10-03-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Sounds like an excellent way to ruin a good model 39.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12