Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: 458 Socom Subsonic Mold

Boolit Bub

458 Socom Subsonic Mold

Wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a 500-600grain mold for 458 socom? Running in an AR with 12in tromix barrel 1:14 twist. I ordered this NOE mold “SC460-350-RF” as my first for the caliber and the bullet profile is such that it won’t chamber beyond an OAL of 1.980. I’d prefer not to make that mistake again. I guess I’m just not sure what bullet profile I need to chamber at full magazine length. Thanks for any help!

Boolit Master

I haven't tried it yet but was just looking at Accurate Molds 46-548S Looks like a good one.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I haven't tried it yet but was just looking at Accurate Molds 46-548S Looks like a good one.
    I may just check that one out. It would be my first accurate mold though. I have Lee, ideal and NOEs at the moment. Do you know if any of my handles will work for the accurate molds? Also my casting alloy fluctuates a bit since it’s all scavenged from different sources. Do you have any idea what I should select for my casting alloy? I’m using pure lead mixed with magnum shot at the moment. I was thinking the COWW+%2 tin?

Boolit Master

Accurate molds use Lee 6 cavity handles. Most RCBS handles will also work. Subsonic bullets don't require exotic alloys. Especially with powder coat. Both alloys mentioned should be fine. Bullets this big thump pretty hard even without expansion. Are you shooting threw a suppressor?
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Accurate molds use Lee 6 cavity handles. Most RCBS handles will also work. Subsonic bullets don't require exotic alloys. Especially with powder coat. Both alloys mentioned should be fine. Bullets this big thump pretty hard even without expansion. Are you shooting threw a suppressor?
    Excellent, I do have a set of Lee 6 cav handles. No suppressor, one day I’ll get around to it though. I use the Hitek system for coating. My alloy is probably way too hard, it just sucks I never have the time to put into it so I try and use one alloy for everything, being that I cast for 500s&w a harder alloy is necessary.

Boolit Master

The NOE HTC459-500-SP-BP2 works great for subsonic loads in the SOCOM. If you are looking for a bit heavier then the HTC459-600-RF-CB3 works. I powder coat my bullets for the SOCOM, Hi-Tek is for my pistol bullets.

Here is the 500 gr. bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC 500 458 SOCOM.web.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	304353

Here is the 600 gr. MOAB and the HP version that comes out at 570 grs.

Name:	NOE 600_570 gr. .458 web.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	304354

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    The NOE HTC459-500-SP-BP2 works great for subsonic loads in the SOCOM. If you are looking for a bit heavier then the HTC459-600-RF-CB3 works. I powder coat my bullets for the SOCOM, Hi-Tek is for my pistol bullets.

Here is the 500 gr. bullet

Name:	PC 500 458 SOCOM.web.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	304353

Here is the 600 gr. MOAB and the HP version that comes out at 570 grs.

Name:	NOE 600_570 gr. .458 web.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	304354

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for!

What about powder coating do you prefer over hitek for rifle bullets? It always seemed like such a pain to me to stand every bullet on its base.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Mcgun View Post
    Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for!

What about powder coating do you prefer over hitek for rifle bullets? It always seemed like such a pain to me to stand every bullet on its base.
    I have found that the PC seems to be more durable. I have recovered both types of bullets fired in my 45-70 and found the HT was stripped off while the PC was still intact and while they both shoot fine I just prefer the PC. I still use HT when loading gas checked bullets for specific instances (usually has to do with the PC thickness and bullet fit) and for my pistol bullets.

I do get the inconvenience of standing bullets up but when working with the big .458 bullets they are easy to deal with and worth the hassle. I have had issues with the PC (being to chunky) causing chambering problems and found that watching the coating thickness and standing them up solved the problems for me.