Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 in 10MM

Boolit Master

Ruger GP100 in 10MM

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1780.html

I don't see why this revolver wouldn't be a good carry gun, if one didn't mind the weight. With the full moon clips and with a good wadcutter bullet of say 170 grains pushed at maybe 700 fps. It should be better than a 38 Special.

Boolit Master

My line of thinking would be. If I'm carrying a heavy gun with six rounds I'm carrying the 10mm to its full potential.
    Nice looking gun.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    My line of thinking would be. If I'm carrying a heavy gun with six rounds I'm carrying the 10mm to its full potential.
    Nice looking gun.
    No one said you couldn't. How many carry the 357 Mag revolvers with 38 Specials? Probably more than a few.
    So????? I carry a M69 Smith some with a 44 Special load.

Boolit Master

Ruger GP100 in 10MM

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1780.html

I don't see why this revolver wouldn't be a good carry gun, if one didn't mind the weight. With the full moon clips and with a good wadcutter bullet of say 170 grains pushed at maybe 700 fps. It should be better than a 38 Special.
    You mean like this?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...ullet=40-181TG

I just got this mould from Accurate for my GP100 10mm.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I imagine I’ll be pushing it about 1,000 FPS to handle feral hogs.

The Accurate .40-224H is awesomely accurate over 15 grains of 4227, but shoots high with the rear sight turned completely down and is a bit heavy for fast repeat shots.

Tom at Accurate said he designed it to take a gas check because his own GP100 has .001 of thread choke.

He can make it without a GC if you want.

Boolit Master
    I have four 10MM autos and thought about this gun.

Boolit Master

Am I assuming correctly 40 S&W could be used in the moon clips?
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    I've used a Ruger GP-100 Match Champion in 10mm in competition a lot. I tried to shoot .40 S&W ammo,, but it wasn't 100% reliable. I used Ranch Products moons,, and that MAY have been the issue. I switched to using 10mm brass & problems went away.
    The MC is a great gun. And in 10mm,, a sweetheart!

The benefit of 10mm is the ability to fit 357 magnum ballistics in a semi auto size with 15 rounds.

Putting 10mm into a GP100 revolver is just going backwards.

The GP100 is bigger than a pistol, heavier than a pistol, and has less than half the rounds in it.

Revolver people would stand in line for days to get their hands on a GP100 in .41 Magnum, even if it was a five round cylinder.

A GP100 in .41 Magnum is much more exciting than a castrated 10mm auto platform.

Boolit Buddy
    @414gates Did someone say GP100 in 41 Magnum? I'd sell my child to pay for one lol. I do agree with your points on a 10mm revolver though.

PS-Since we're dreaming of a GP100 in 41 Mag can I officially put in a dream request for a 3" barreled SP101 in 41 Special with adjustable sights?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    The benefit of 10mm is the ability to fit 357 magnum ballistics in a semi auto size with 15 rounds.

Putting 10mm into a GP100 revolver is just going backwards.

The GP100 is bigger than a pistol, heavier than a pistol, and has less than half the rounds in it.

Revolver people would stand in line for days to get their hands on a GP100 in .41 Magnum, even if it was a five round cylinder.

A GP100 in .41 Magnum is much more exciting than a castrated 10mm auto platform.
    Not if a revolver is what a person wants. Not everyone wants the same thing. Besides I have four 10MM Semi Autos.
    I like revolvers myself.

Boolit Master
    10mm is way more popular than 41 Mag. I bet gun and ammo sales for 10mm out sell 41 Mag by at least 10 to 1. Gun companies like to make guns that will sell.

I’m guessing the vast majority of people buying the 10mm GP100 already have a semi-auto and just want something different. It’s common for people to buy multiple guns in the same caliber….

Boolit Master
    Clements does a .41 Special conversion on the GP100.

To each his own. I like having a relatively big-bore on a medium frame, 6-shot revolver. Unlike an autoloader, it can be fed blunt, heavy-for-caliber bullets.

The 10mm isn’t a true magnum, but I don’t care for big-bore magnums in a DA revolver. Too hard on the web of my hand. That’s a role where SAs excel.

Boolit Grand Master

I do kown we have no regrets buying a 5 shot GP in 44 Special some years back.. A 41 Mag would be fine also.
    But the 44 Special can be counted on to rip-snort near as well as a 41. And ours with the 3"+ barrel carries nicely.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    "Clements does a .41 Special conversion on the GP100."....."did"...he stopped doing them some time ago as he is in the process of retiring...

Have had one of the GP100 4" MCs in 10mm since the second week they were released. GREAT gun...have been looking for one of the 3" guns but since they have stopped production the going "used" price is in the $1200-1400 range...

Now that many of the all steel DA and SA revolvers are back on track, hopefully they will make another run...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Am I assuming correctly 40 S&W could be used in the moon clips?
    The 10mm rounds headspace of the mouth of the case, inside this cylinder. The .40 S&W rounds require two moon clips, because one is not stiff enough to support the firing pin impact (it blends/flexes). I read that in a review, so maybe totally false.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    The 10mm rounds headspace of the mouth of the case, inside this cylinder. The .40 S&W rounds require two moon clips, because one is not stiff enough to support the firing pin impact (it blends/flexes). I read that in a review, so maybe totally false.
    Interesting

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    If the headspace is correct with two clips,,,
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

I have a model 69 Smith in 44 Magnum and a Glock 40 in 10 mm. I like each for what they are but would prefer a rimmed round for a revolver.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 09-22-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a model 60 Smith in 44 Magnum and a Glocl 40 in 10 mm. I like each for what they are but would prefer a rimmed round for a revolver.
    When did Smith put a 44 Magnum in a M60?

Boolit Grand Master
    36-37 ounces? A bit heavy for an EDC, especially compared to something like a K-6S or a Colt 357 Cobra.

Where I think it has promise is as a woods protection piece where you might have to persuade a bear or a cougar to eat something else besides you. It is a little light for the really big bears, but here in the lower 48 it might be a dandy.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-17-2022 at 09:44 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast