Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Damaged 50-70 trapdoor receiver replacement

Boolit Bub

Damaged 50-70 trapdoor receiver replacement

Looking for help and wisdom on removing a damaged 1868 TD receiver and replacing with a "new' one. I've been rejected by several local smith's and I can't hardly find any helpful information online about the TD specifically. I work in a sheetmetal shop and have most of the avaliable tools to make a barrel vices, copper and aluminum to protect the metal and possibly make a decent action wrentch but would love to hear from someone who HAD done somthing like this to an old Trapdoor.
    Thanks and hope to hear from someone!

How is it damaged? You'll probably need a lathe to do the work. And the trapdoor has a breach that's a bit complicated. Most smiths today are not smiths in the old style guns. New smiths screw together AR's.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Grand Master

Contact Al here https://trapdoorcollector.com/

I believe this models receiver is specific to the 50-70's

https://trapdoorcollector.com/m68.html

The most noticeable feature of this rifle or carbine is the length of the receiver. No other trapdoor has such a long receiver. M68 breech blocks are dated with the year of production: 1868, 1869 or 1870. However, very few rifles were produced in 1868, so the 1868 breech block is extremely rare.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Most any gunsmith who has unscrewed a barrel and screwed on a new one should be able to do it. The trapdoors were interchangeable parts and the new barrel should screw right on and index. It has right hand square threads. Remove the breech block and extractor before attempting to unscrew the barrel. Don't clamp over the hinge ears, you can damage them. It may be quite tight. John Taylor in Idaho could do it. He was in Wash but moved to ID about a year ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    Most any gunsmith who has unscrewed a barrel and screwed on a new one should be able to do it. The trapdoors were interchangeable parts and the new barrel should screw right on and index. It has right hand square threads. Remove the breech block and extractor before attempting to unscrew the barrel. Don't clamp over the hinge ears, you can damage them. It may be quite tight. John Taylor in Idaho could do it. He was in Wash but moved to ID about a year ago.
    1868 TD's have a different receiver that is not very common.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    It is basically only longer in the front. The barrel shank is longer, same thread, same extractor cuts, etc. Not much different at all. Finding some one fairly local would be best as shipping barrels has gotten expensive with the new length surcharges. Hell, I would do it for you but I'm 3000 miles away.