Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I Need A New Heating Element?

Boolit Master

I searched everywhere in this town, nobody has one! Most of the people I showed it to had never seen one, (Figures)! Had to order it online, just have to wait for it to arrive to repair the PID. Once again I thank all of you for your help in running this problem down, what a great website!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

The replacement socket finally made it's way here. I installed it, turned the power on and went to do other things for an hour. When I returned the temp reading was 804*, the set value was 830*. Hmmmm....so, I removed the TC from the pot,fluxed the pot and then dropped in the ladle to warm it up. I returned the TC to the melt and tenp stabilized at 724-25 after 10 minutes or so. I let it run while I cast a few round balls, which came out OK, just a few rejects. But, the indicated temp never got above 725*. At this point, I'm thinking the TC is toast or ekse the PID is. I'm going to replace the TC unless someone has other thoughts.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Did you feel the cord/plug/socket you just installed?

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    The replacement socket finally made it's way here. I installed it, turned the power on and went to do other things for an hour. When I returned the temp reading was 804*, the set value was 830*. Hmmmm....so, I removed the TC from the pot,fluxed the pot and then dropped in the ladle to warm it up. I returned the TC to the melt and tenp stabilized at 724-25 after 10 minutes or so. I let it run while I cast a few round balls, which came out OK, just a few rejects. But, the indicated temp never got above 725*. At this point, I'm thinking the TC is toast or ekse the PID is. I'm going to replace the TC unless someone has other thoughts.
    The only suggestion I have before you do that is there should be a calibration procedure for the thermocouple. There should be some literature that came with the PID that explains how to do that. If that process is followed and the results are unsatisfactory then yes, the next step is a new thermocouple. You might as well try this because if you replaced the thermocouple the PID will need to be recalibrated anyway.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Did you feel the cord/plug/socket you just installed?
    Yes, I actually used my digital thermometer from the kitchen to check it. Ambient air temp in the casting shed was 79*, plug temp was 88*, much, much less heat than the previous socket was giving off! I haven't done the calibration on the TC, will have to wait 'til I get back home on Saturday. It looks ike we're making progress, keep your fingers crossed!

unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12