Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone know the maker?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone know the maker?

There is a guy selling this rifle a little ways from my house. He said he can not see a maker on it. He wants me to make an offer but hard to do and don't want to waste gas to go look and see for myself. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Need more pictures, I think It may be an old CVA but don't quote me on that.

The two piece stock, joined with that brass, would make it a CVA or a Jukar (who also made guns for CVA).

I'd be hard pressed to offer any more than $200-$250 for if - and only if the bore is good.

If you do eventually go to take a look at it, be sure to take a bore light, and cycle the lock to insure it works OK
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Looking closely at it, I think you'll find it's a little higher grade than CVA. The patch box is real, the brass joint cover is at wrong place for CVA, the lock and bolster don't match what I've seen. While I'm not the final authority on CVA, I think this may be something along the lines of a richland arms Kentucky, or something along those lines.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

By the triggerguard it looks more like a Ultra high than a CVA ,definitely a cheap repro from back when.

Boolit Buddy
    looks like a half stock to me and I don't recall any cheap repros with a snail breech like that. The hammer is massive compared to a CVA or similar import. IMHO.

Boolit Master
    I too would say that is worth $200 if the bore is good.
    To Me,
    It looks like something that I could refinish and make it look super good.
    If you do all your own finishing work , I would think it would be a Great Buy.
    But if you need advice on refinishing the rifle , this forum is a great place to find help.

Boolit Master
    Its nothing special - single trigger and beechwood stock - not a CVA they have a nipple drum instead of the snail breech/bolster - lock looks kinda weird when ya blow the picture up - massive hammer like a sharps, lock plate looks strange - rusted ?

Bore light for sure - I have an endoscope one goes in my tablet thingy - can make a quite serviceable bore look real shabby with that gadget !

If that bore is good - Lags would make this one into a nice shooter - I would make it a good serviceable shooter - half stock with an underib and ramrod thimbles - replace the lock and fit double set trigger - got the spare lock and trigger in my parts bin. Something like this I will make a new lockplate to fit the woodwork then transfer the innards from a spare CVA lock (or whatever else) onto the new plate. $200 would be fair I reckon - maybe $250 if you really want it.

one more comment
    put it to your shoulder - that stock looks ok in the picture - I have a couple of cheap ML's that were way too straight in the stock - belt my cheek - quality timber, walnut or such can oil bend them to suit but that wood in that stock - the one I had like it was devilish tough to work.
    Last edited by indian joe; 09-15-2022 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    On used rifles like that one , There are so many things that can be done by you to improve the function.
    Like rebuilding the lock and trigger , rather than replacing it.
    If you pick up a rifle cheap enough that has a bad bore.
    You can have someone like Bob Hoyt refurbish it cheaper than finding and buying a replacement barrel.
    A Fair Bore can also be Lapped by yourself to at least shoot better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    On used rifles like that one , There are so many things that can be done by you to improve the function.
    Like rebuilding the lock and trigger , rather than replacing it.
    If you pick up a rifle cheap enough that has a bad bore.
    You can have someone like Bob Hoyt refurbish it cheaper than finding and buying a replacement barrel.
    A Fair Bore can also be Lapped by yourself to at least shoot better.
    Lags I wasnt touting new replacement of lock and trigger - just sayin I would do it with this gun cuz I have the bits already . I keep my eyes peeled for spares around the shoots, blokes that sell CVA parts dont put much value on them - a bit of a tune up they work fine

Boolit Master
    Yes,
    I understand I J
    I too pick up TC parts when I find them cheap.
    And then rebuild those parts so they are ready when I need a better functioning lock or trigger.
    I would do the same for CVA parts.
    But here too , those rifles aren't as popular as the TC.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Yes,
    I understand I J
    I too pick up TC parts when I find them cheap.
    And then rebuild those parts so they are ready when I need a better functioning lock or trigger.
    I would do the same for CVA parts.
    But here too , those rifles aren't as popular as the TC.
    we had one importer brought in a big lot of CVA stuff early 1990's (maybe before that) I always believed he took a job lot of "factory seconds" - every one I got had something wrong with it - bits missing from kits, burred muzzle crown, under rib holes drilled too deep Almost into the rifling, but once they cleaned up those barrels would shoot as good as a green mountain or a custom getz we could buy in for three times the price. Dont see that many TC's downunder - Pedersoli been the major supplier here for ages. I reckon 3/4 of the flintlocks (or more) that we see on the line here would be custom built/ homemade tho that has about ran its course too.