MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do the base of bullets

Boolit Bub

How to do the base of bullets

I decided to try to do powder coating, but have a few questions.
    Do the bases need covered ? and how is it done?
    Will pc stick to the bullets if they are just tumbled? and what is wet tumbled?
    I picked up a HF gun at an auction and it has HF black powder.
    Thanks
    Nick

Boolit Master

never used/tried an ES gun and am more than happy doing shake n bake with a quality powder from Smoke4320 in swap n sell. Many just dump in a pile and bake but I always stand mine up. I find the 20-25 minute bake time is how long it takes to stand up a full tray of bullets, so zero time lost or wasted. The bases get coated during the shake application and the bases get cooked and remain covered during the bake process on silicone mats.

If you are after some of the super cool colored/painted or long pointy rifle bullets ES application may be appropriate. I highly doubt your cheap HF powder will work well tumbling. Never tried wet application of PC powder but have seen plenty of posts suggesting it doesn't work well.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-06-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You will probably have to coat the bases and then stand them up and stand them up to coat the rest.

Boolit Buddy
    Try spraying vht ( i use the black) spray paint on your tray (or whatever you use) a few minutes before standing your bullets, (have bullets coated) it will coat the bottom's. As said, the bottoms will get coated w/ your powder, "HI MARKS" for Smoke4320 powder.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

Depends on the caliber. Anything but magnum pistol boolits just get stood up on a foil sheet in a pan and sprayed. I don't worry about the base. Magnum caliber pistol and subsonic rifle get shake and bake so the base is coated. Supersonic rifle gets whichever I feel like doing because I prefer to gas check the after PC. That HF black powder you have will work fine in the ES gun but does not tumble well, for that I would recommend getting some from Smoke a vender on this forum.

Boolit Master

shake and bake here: bottoms get coated that way
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    I also 'shake and bake' and I get a good coating on the bottom. (dry tumble, no beads)

Guys, I’m working on a little project.
    I had been using Eastwood PC, and both copper bbs and air soft bbs, in the 4” diameter Ziploc screw lid containers. Some colors worked nice, some… do not. Shake and swirl, shake and swirl.

I bought the smaller tumbler, from HF. I cut a 12” diameter circle of plywood, drilled a 1/4” hole in its center, then used 4” hole saw, to make 4 holes in the plywood disk. I removed the bowl from tumbler, then installed the disk, on the shaft that held the bowl and lid. Those ziploc containers fit firmly into the 4” holes. Load up containers, whatever colors I want, turn it on, walk away.
    My coating is 100% better and quicker now. No tired arms, lol, and no baggies to mess with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270BB75E-8012-48AF-AC75-6A0FE8021D66.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	304157
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

I am not sure about HF black. There is a rumor circulating that it contains an abrasive that will tear up a barrel.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Krh1326, cool ideal, like thinking ideals. Keep "thinking".

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    Guys, I’m working on a little project.
    I had been using Eastwood PC, and both copper bbs and air soft bbs, in the 4” diameter Ziploc screw lid containers. Some colors worked nice, some… do not. Shake and swirl, shake and swirl.

I bought the smaller tumbler, from HF. I cut a 12” diameter circle of plywood, drilled a 1/4” hole in its center, then used 4” hole saw, to make 4 holes in the plywood disk. I removed the bowl from tumbler, then installed the disk, on the shaft that held the bowl and lid. Those ziploc containers fit firmly into the 4” holes. Load up containers, whatever colors I want, turn it on, walk away.
    My coating is 100% better and quicker now. No tired arms, lol, and no baggies to mess with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270BB75E-8012-48AF-AC75-6A0FE8021D66.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	304157
    interesting idea. I have been trying to come up with a method of doing large batches that don't waste powder. My saltwater marsh, high humidity unconditioned garage seems to mess up any leftover powder. No matter how I store it the next time I get around to doing another batch it just isn't as nice as when first used it. I am always conscious of the humidity factor and I quickly seal up the leftover powder the moment I am done sifting, but it's never the same and will usually result in a somewhat lumpy or blotchy finish.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Doesn't
    the powder coat make the base to large to set the gas check?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiatdad View Post
    Doesn't
    I myself have never powder coated a gas check boolit. Not sure. I have continued tumble lube the gas checked boolits and powder coat the plain base boolits.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    The bases get coated during the shake application and the bases get cooked and remain covered during the bake process on silicone mats.
    Tell me about this silicone mat. Never used one, but sounds like a good idea, where can I get one?

Thanks,

Rosewood

Boolit Bub
    I use a silicone cooking mat (aka silicone baking mat) that I cut to fit on my tray. I got mine from the big box store in the home-good section. IMO, it works much better than non stick foil.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I am not sure about HF black. There is a rumor circulating that it contains an abrasive that will tear up a barrel.
    I have shot two jars of it that I purchased when I got the ES gun. I did not notice any detriment to my guns. I did not buy more when it ran out only because it does not do shake and bake very well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiatdad View Post
    Doesn't
    I have not run in to that issue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Tell me about this silicone mat. Never used one, but sounds like a good idea, where can I get one?

Thanks,

Rosewood
    https://www.amazon.com/silicone-baki...one+baking+mat IMO it doesn't make much difference which and buying expensive is just a waste. I came across some really cheapo black silicone mats and they work just as well as some other more expensive ones and after a few years they show no signs of failing. Cut them to fit your basket/tray. On occasion I wipe mine down with acetone to clean off old baked on powder with no harm to the mats.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Looks like some mats are smooth and some have a grain to them. Does that grain end up on the boolit?

Thanks!

Just make a C formed needle nose pliers, so you can pick up the coated bullets.
    Make a 1/4" hardware cloth box, cut corners in, about 1", thread corner together with with stainless wire, turn the box upside down, round the holes with a round steel punch. Put the powder and air soft BBs in a wide mouth, sealable, jug, so you can reach into the jug and pick out the bullets by the ojive. Set the bullets nose down in the holes in the hardware cloth, no gas checks. Bake ast 400 for 20 minutes, allow to cool, size to groove diameter, using case lube. I use a PC double coat to do 2,500-2,600 fps. in ARs without fouling.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast