Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another first time caster and first post.

Boolit Buddy

Another first time caster and first post.

Hello all from WNC. Sniffed around here for years so thought I'd finally join. Wasn't much into casting my own but did shoot lead from places like SNS and Acme. Neighbor gave me a plumber's lead pot so I thought I would put it to some use. Mold is a Lee 158 .358 and the sizer is lee as well. Right now I'm getting about 50/50 usable bullets. Still learning. I need a lead pot temp gauge for sure. Got mold too hot first go round and 2nd time took a while to get it up and sprue plate bolt came loose causing flashing on base of bullets(is that the correct term?). Alloy is 100% wheel weights, clip-ons and stick-on. Mold takes several raps to get bullets to fall out so I need to address that and I know there is a thread on that here. Beveled the edge of my sprue plate especially the corner that was scratching the top of aluminum. As of now casting is a novelty. Got a $4.25 toaster oven from a resale store and going to order Smoke's powder coat this week. Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220806_120651404_HDR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	304123

Name:	IMG_20220729_154213468.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	304124

Name:	425025-153a211ffd083da21f13fb84da22c7ac.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	304125

Name:	424388-53a5678dc7dbc68444db9d4f2c8bc3fb.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	304126

Name:	IMG_20220906_071050.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	304127
    Last edited by brokeasajoke; 09-06-2022 at 07:18 AM.

Nice looking bullets there.

Beware. They multiply!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. Sizes seem to drop in the .362 range and weight is 161.7-162.5 with some around 164gr.

Boolit Master
    Keep going! It won’t be a novelty for long! There are gonna be some rub marks on the top of the mold, don’t worry. Just make sure there is no gouging. Most of us here use synthetic two stroke oil on a qtip to lube the pivot points and the bottom of the spruce plate and the block pins. That’ll keep everything in good working order.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    My 358-158-rf runs heavy too. Everything looks good to me. Keep going.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a useful and possibly necessary skill to develop. Stay with it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum and the boolit casting addiction. If nothing else recycling cast boolits is so much easier than pulling boolits and fixing reloading errors. LOL

Good on you for including your general location/area. There is a good chance a local caster may PM you and invite you over for a casting session or two.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I am using 2stroke oil for the lube on pins, sprue bottom and pivot. I'm considering a Rowell ladle as well when I pick up a thermometer. Found a cheap probe type cooking thermometer on Amazon that goes up to 700 for like $12

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    I am using 2stroke oil for the lube on pins, sprue bottom and pivot. I'm considering a Rowell ladle as well when I pick up a thermometer. Found a cheap probe type cooking thermometer on Amazon that goes up to 700 for like $12
    700 will likely not be high enough, sometimes conditions require 725-750 degrees. Although I now use a pid controller on electric Lee pots, I have this one for "this n that" and smelting batches of wheel weights: https://www.amazon.com/PIC-B3B6-TT-C...2486819&sr=8-9

$18.43 for last one in stock, but be warned this thing is pretty large with a 3" dial and 1/2" pipe threads. I made an adjustable older out of steel Tees and a lead filled bottom base to hold it. It is also adjustable for a true set temp (calibrated via boiling water).
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Would I be good just laying this on the side of the cast pot or should I make up something to suspend it over the pot keeping dial away from propane heat coming up sides of pot?

Boolit Master

It looks like you are off to a good start. Keep it up.
    Last edited by pworley1; 09-06-2022 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Looks like you’re on the right track. Practice helps and molds tend to work better after they have been used for a while.

Boolit Master

Would I be good just laying this on the side of the cast pot or should I make up something to suspend it over the pot keeping dial away from propane heat coming up sides of pot?
    keep the dial away from direct heat. I made a a stand off holder out of sheet metal. doesn't touch the sides or bottom. that way you're getting temp of lead without any errors

PIDs are great but you'll still need a dial one to calibrate

and welcome to the fun and games
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

sending a PM

Boolit Buddy
    Just ordered some powder coat from smoke4320 so I'm gonna try this shake and bake thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't checked my die for leading, but sizing with Windex seemed to work pretty well since I'm trying to keep lube off of them for powder coat. I may have read about that trick here. Rubbing alcohol worked but I'd
    Swear Windex is slicker pushing the bullets through.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Haven't checked my die for leading, but sizing with Windex seemed to work pretty well since I'm trying to keep lube off of them for powder coat. I may have read about that trick here. Rubbing alcohol worked but I'd
    Swear Windex is slicker pushing the bullets through.
    Why don’t you PC them before sizing?

Boolit Buddy
    Should I? I just figured sizing would be easier in 2 steps. I don't know what I'm doing so I'm up for suggestions. They drop at about .362 non coated. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Those are pretty fat already before coating. Sizing in two steps is prolly best. What are you gonna use to shoot these? 38 Special or 9mm or???

Boolit Master
    Lots of good information to be had here. Most folks here happy to share with any new guys.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast