RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else going back to mechanical scales?

Boolit Buddy
    I use either my Redding or RCBS beam scale. Like others here, couldn't get consistent results with electric scales plus fluorescent lights would interfere at times. never in a hurry reloading anyway so beam scales suit me just fine plus don't have to stop and go to walmart to buy batteries for them

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Gave mine away. Should have kept it. I use a chargemaster lite and love it.

Boolit Master
    Never left. Hope you fellas using electric scales don’t run out of batteries.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Digital scales come in several quality levels. Those from the reloading companies can be of lessor quality (my opinion) and a challenge to the reloader, creating a sense of insecurities to the user.

I have two digital scales, the first one is a Dillion, not sure who makes it for them but has been 100% accurate and reliable for years but also requires the use of a trickler which on a digital is a pain. Maybe I got lucky but I would put it's repeatable accuracy up against any 505, 1010 or like scale which are not in reality that accurate but close enough for their intended use while being very easy to use. If being checked by another more sophisticated measure say the medical scale, I have found them to be off be several tenths or more much of the time but again, it works because our loads can be off a few tenths without danger.

My second digital is a medical scale that while being super sensitive is also highly accurate. Before loading, each scale gets a brass weight test, same as we do with the balance beam type.

Next up are those made by Harrel's Precision and perhaps the finest measure out there for the hand loader who does not use heavy course powders. I have personally loaded at least 30 thousand rounds of varmint ammo using my 2 Harrel's and for ball powders they can't be beat. The Harrel is not cheap, but also not a scale that will set in the corner not being used. Their small scale for handgun loads or varmint loads is an excellent measure for small grain charges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I guess I'm the opposite. Mechanical engineer. I know too much what can go wrong with mechanical scales. So I guess ignorance is indeed bliss
    Care to elaborate? My English teachers might have been kind and given a paper with an unsupported remark like that a “D”. Unless it’s dropped or otherwise physically damaged there is little to fail on a 5-0-5 or 10-10 balance beam scale. Electronic scales are subject to power fluctuations, interference from fluorescent and other types of lighting, radio frequency interference and failures of the display, power supply, strain gauge and electronics. I’m not a mechanical or electronics engineer but have some experience as an electronics hobbyist and 30 years of computer experience. My cousin is a mechanical engineer and understands about 1% of my mechanical skills.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Was simply responding in kind to another unsupported statement.

The knife edge and 'jewel'. If damaged or worn give less consistent results (and that is a common error issue). Which is why we went to electronic scales in industry many years ago. All of those variables you mention in electronics are compensated for on the chips. Unless you buy a really cheap one they work well.

Yes, I've had cheap ones that don't work well. A frankford arsenal bottom of the line. Not good temp compensation and the 'table' was not set well on the load cell. The Lyman automatic I have works well and has been checked against a much better unit for accuracy and drift.
    Last edited by charlie b; 09-15-2022 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    The knife edge and 'jewel'. If damaged or worn give less consistent results (and that is a common error issue).
    You can see the damage and smoothness of response with a mechanical scale not so with electronics. Also there are at least a hundred more parts to fail. I just sent a new $1100 sensor back when a programming button stuck closed. Can't fix it, it's sealed. KISS
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I'm in the process of fitting neodynium magnets to the inside of my Lee scale.

A previous test showed that with stronger magnets, it settles within a few seconds.

I tested the Lee, and it is more sensitive to single powder kernels than my 10-10. I got an old Pacific M to compare as well, the Lee is also more sensitive than that.

I use a Chargemaster 1500 scale, and it does drift a bit when the room temperature changes.

I want to try a few reload batches measuring powder this way, to see if I can get more consistent ES numbers. I sometimes find that when I repeat a previously low ES load, it's not so low anymore, and the only thing different between batches I'm aware of is the room temperature I weighed the powder at. You probably don't have this problem if your room temperature is maintained constant to the temperature outside.

All electronic scales drift, just the higher end models have a more sensitive strain gauge and better software that picks up the drift and resets the zero automatically.
    Last edited by 414gates; 09-15-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy

When my chargemaster lite shot craps, I went back to my 505 and a trickler. I weigh every load and trickle them to the nearest 10th.
    I find it faster and less of a hassle. Don't think I'll go back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    ...All electronic scales drift, just the higher end models have a more sensitive strain gauge and better software that picks up the drift and resets the zero automatically.
    That should read that all load cell outputs drift. The rest of the electronics, if designed properly, compensate for that.

I've only tested my Lyman across about 20deg F (inside an air conditioned house) and it shows no drift with temp according to the check weights.

OTOH, the cheap Frankford Arsenal scale did drift with temp, and also with where on the scale the weight was placed. But, I only paid $25 for it Either a bad load cell design, poor circuit design, poor mechanical design, or just cheap components that did not operate in spec (or all of the above).

Boolit Master
    If I need a quick and non-critical weigh, I use the electronic- most used is a RCBS 505.
    Loren

That should read that all load cell outputs drift. The rest of the electronics, if designed properly, compensate for that.
    This is probably the reason why Prometheus users say it gives them the best results.

At it's heart, there is a mechanical scale. No load cell to drift. Consistency, summer or winter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post

Next up are those made by Harrel's Precision and perhaps the finest measure out there for the hand loader who does not use heavy course powders. I have personally loaded at least 30 thousand rounds of varmint ammo using my 2 Harrel's and for ball powders they can't be beat. The Harrel is not cheap, but also not a scale that will set in the corner not being used. Their small scale for handgun loads or varmint loads is an excellent measure for small grain charges.
    I'm confused. How does a measure turn into a scale?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

To tell the truth, I never gave up on mechanicals. I could not find an electric that had any consistency.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    ..I went back to my 505 and a trickler. ...I find it faster and less of a hassle. .
    This is why I could never justify buying an automatic powder dispenser.

I can throw a charge about grain under, and trickle up in less than half the time it takes any automatic dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I'm confused. How does a measure turn into a scale?
    I think this refers to dispensing by volume only.

I still use my old Redding BR 2 scale. Goes to 505gr which is enough for my needs over the last28 years, and I have a Dillon beam scale for back up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    This is why I could never justify buying an automatic powder dispenser.

I can throw a charge about grain under, and trickle up in less than half the time it takes any automatic dispenser.
    I know a guy with 4 Chargemasters in a row all with the same powder so he doesn't have to wait. JAMOM
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I know a guy with 4 Chargemasters in a row all with the same powder so he doesn't have to wait. JAMOM
    To me that sounds like checking 4 drifts and potentially correcting 4 over or under charges at one time. And 4 plastic straws.

Boolit Grand Master

I like my digital scale but keep my old original scale around to keep my digital scale honest.