Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else going back to mechanical scales?

Boolit Master

Still using an old brown Herter's scale from the late 60's that my dad gave me when I was a teenager.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I have a mis-trust of anything electronic, and since this whole shooting, casting, and reloading thing is of an "old school" attitude, why bring the annoyances of modern electronics into what is a simple, very enjoyable past time?

Boolit Master

I too have my mechanical scale mounted in an antique DuPont powder box at eye level behind my press/s. The box still allows me to have a small fan moving a little air without affecting the scale in my unconditioned garage/loading area. I mostly use my RCBS 10/10 or a 505 and they react to the drop of a single kernel of Varget. If a beam scale can't measure to 10ths of a grain there is something wrong that needs attention.

For many years I used a Redding #2 and didn't realize it wasn't working right. It was accurate but that dang thing seems to bounce nearly as much as an undampened scale. Got hold of a used RCBS scale and bounce difference was amazing. No doubt the Redding needs new magnets or something, but haven't bothered messing with it.

BUT I gotta say, weight sorting cast boolits on a beam scale is torture at best. So a reasonably priced electronic scale for sorting is dang handy piece of equipment to have around.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-06-2022 at 11:33 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not find the electronic scales annoying and for some reason they have worked for me. I keep my mechanical scales for backup and in case the SHTF.

Most of my reloading is with progressives so I check drops every 100 rounds or so. And with the Powder Check dies on the 1050 tool heads I rarely check drops once dialed in.

The Chargemaster does the rifle loads.

I could survive with mechanical scales only but prefer not to. I think the Chargemaster must be 20 years old. If/when it craps out, I will get another one. Can't take the money with me.
    Don Verna

I use my electronic scales to verify my mechanical scale.

Have modified my beam scale to trigger my home made trickler

Boolit Master

I have tried three different electronic scales but none of them ever made me replace my 10-10 with them.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    I have been reloading for over 40 years. Started with Lyman and Rcbs ohaus scales then progressed in the early 1990s to electronic scales. I have had multiple brands of electronic over the years which now includes Dillon and Rcbs charge master. In the last year or so I positioned an Rcbs 505 mechanical scale at eye level on a shelf above my multiple presses. I no longer have to wait for the scale to warm up. I no longer get unexplained drift. I no longer have small wind currents reeking havoc on my readings. I have not missed the electronic ones at all for setting my powder measures on my Dillon presses. For what I am doing I do not think it slows me down at all. I load mainly handgun but if I am loading hunting rifle loads I will use my charge master as it automatically dispenses each charge but other than that I have gone back to my roots and prefer my mechanical scales. I may be weird but anybody else like mechanical scales better for a lot of handloading task?

Dogdoc
    Never left. I've been playing with computers since 1978. I think they're great toys, but still not ready for prime time. Mechanical scales are thoroughly understood technology, and as long as you don't mess them up, they will continue to work as close to forever as makes no difference. If you want truly accurate measurements with a mechanical scale, you do still need to protect them from stray wind currents. I made my first cover for a beam balance scale in 1973. Maybe if I were doing a lot of shooting, I might want to get into computer-controlled scales, and progressive presses and such, but I weigh every load as a matter of course. I do not get over or underloaded cartridges this way.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I never left beam scales, but I've had digital scales, 3 of them that were inconsistent and one died an early death. Lee Safety Scale, RCBS 501, Lyman/Ohaus D5 currently used and all are accurate and repeatable. Often, and always during a load work up I weight every charge. Not slow when I use a good powder measure; Lee Perfect Powder Measure or a C-H 502...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I use a Denver Instruments MXX-123 when I'm at the max charge and to check the others. Got a 10-10 and RCBS powder pro for sub-max loads. The MXX-123 reduces extreme spread and standard deviation.

I have beam scales & a Dillon. The beam scales are for when the Dillon craps out, but tis still going strong. Cheaper scales, yeah not so much. I have tried Lyman, Hornady, FA, all crap for the ones under $100.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I got my first scale when I was eight years old (57 years ago) it was an Ohaus 1005 and it is still going strong. I've tried the digital scales and STILL prefer my old Ohaus.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I use them both, but always use the beam scale first to check the electronic scale, and powder thrower.
    For rifle cartridges, I check every 10th round.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a killer thread. Not sure if I can add much to it. But I've been using an Ohaus 505 for quite some time. Did have an issue with it not long ago. The magnetic damping system picked up some very fine steel particles. Nearly invisible to the naked eye.

Made a mess of measurements/dampening until I figured it out.

Since most reloading is done on a Dillon, once the power bar is set, good to go.

However, I have been keeping my ear to the ground on a decent electronic scale. It will be good/required to have in the near future.

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Still using an old brown Herter's scale from the late 60's that my dad gave me when I was a teenager.

LIKE !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I love my Hornady electronic scales.
    At 80 years old I don't think I qualify as the younger crowd.
    I have been loading for 60 years and use my mechanical scales as backup.
    I have a Hornady LNL bench scale that has worked really well the last 6 or so years. I collect older mechanical scales and the Hornady is every as bit as accurate as they are.

Boolit Master
    So, over 40 years reloading and I abandoned a beam scale 20 years ago. The past few years I have moved to a Lyman automatic for my rifle loads. For pistols I still use a Lee disk measure on the press just for speed and weigh every 10th or 20th charge.

I haven't been happier. I do have to admit that I hated trickling charges and waiting for a mechanical scale to settle.

Weight sorting bullets is also a reasonable thing to do with an electronic scale.

But, I like technology. Moving to a Labradar was also a great investment.

Boolit Buddy
    Have used a Redding beam for 40+ yrs, use Lyman Electronic for weighing bullets,I use various cut down cases as dippers and a CH trickler, works a treat.

Boolit Master
    I've got nothing against an electronic scale, but have never felt the need to use one. I've been using the same RCBS 505 scale for over 40 years and it works fine.

Boolit Master
    I have alway Use only One scale Ohaus Dial O grain. the first scale, the last scale & the best scale.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master
    I never left beam scales; although if I were to start weight sorting boolits, an electronic scale would quickly become a necessity.

I have owned and used the Ohaus RCBS Models 502,505,510 (my favorite), 1010 and the Lyman version of the 1010. My current scale is the Lyman D5. I also have one of the Lee scales, it works but is a royal PITA for me to set.

When I was still living on board ships or in the barracks and loading at friends houses, I used a variety of others, Dillon Hornady and maybe a Redding.

One thing that I am a believer in is having and using a set of check weights.

Robert

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast