Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else going back to mechanical scales?

Anybody else going back to mechanical scales?

I have been reloading for over 40 years. Started with Lyman and Rcbs ohaus scales then progressed in the early 1990s to electronic scales. I have had multiple brands of electronic over the years which now includes Dillon and Rcbs charge master. In the last year or so I positioned an Rcbs 505 mechanical scale at eye level on a shelf above my multiple presses. I no longer have to wait for the scale to warm up. I no longer get unexplained drift. I no longer have small wind currents reeking havoc on my readings. I have not missed the electronic ones at all for setting my powder measures on my Dillon presses. For what I am doing I do not think it slows me down at all. I load mainly handgun but if I am loading hunting rifle loads I will use my charge master as it automatically dispenses each charge but other than that I have gone back to my roots and prefer my mechanical scales. I may be weird but anybody else like mechanical scales better for a lot of handloading task?

Dogdoc

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    All I’ve ever used in 50+ Years of reloading. Just never saw a need to get into the electronic game. But, that’s just me.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Never used anything but RCBS 505 scales.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

I have and have a variety of both. For mechanical I have a RSBS 304, 1010 and a 505 but they mostly collect dust. For electronic I have had a Dillon and RCBS. I had drift issues with both. I currently mostly use and love my Denver Instrument MXX-123.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear...-mxx-123-test/

It is more accurate and repeatable than my balance-beam scales. Quicker also.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-05-2022 at 11:19 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

chargemaster for huge qty._
    505 and ohaus for all the rest
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Yeah, I'm pretty much back to low-tech. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

All I'd ever used was a beam scale until when I got back into reloading,
    a electronic one came in the press as part of the 'starter kit'.

It did OK, until it didn't.
    After it lied to me a second time, it went in the trash.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    My original was an RCBS 502 forty-odd years back, I tried a couple of the electronics, but they had issues, still using the original........no issues.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve considered going back to a beam scale since I started loosing confidence in my electronic ones. I still think the electronic ones are easier to use, but aren’t as accurate as mechanical.

I tried to use my 10-10 to trickle charges for rifle, but I prefer to measure to 0.1 grains, and the scale doesn't respond well enough to 0.1 grain changes in the pan.

I also tried an old Pacific and a Lee. I bought the Lee for an experiment - replacing the magnets in the body with neodynium squares. Instead of the infinite oscillation, it settles in one second. But also not suitable for trickling up by 0.1 grain.

I just keep the mechanical scales as backups.

I never went electric. They drift too much to suit me. I use an RCBS 505 beam scale.

I seem to be saying the same thing about many things these days. I believe the younger crowd grew up with and are accustomed to annoyances that I prefer not to deal with.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

never even thought of switching away from the mechanical type electronics are great till power source disappears -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I know it was high but I love my A&D FX120i. For quick stuff I use a Frankford pocket scale the works well as long as I keep an eye on drift but for $20 I'm happy. I know how much the pan weighs and keep an eye on the reading when I lift it off. Other than that a tuned 10-10. Had a 505 and it disappeared 2 years ago when I loaned to a friend. Friendship worth more than the scale so I'm not worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    All I’ve ever used in 50+ Years of reloading. Just never saw a need to get into the electronic game. But, that’s just me.
    Same here. I have had the same RCBS scale for 40 years.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I tried the electronic scales once and found that trading reliability and accuracy of weight measurement for speed and alleged "convenience" didn't make much sense, especially with the electronic scales that are in the price range most handloaders would pay. If someone wants a good electronic scale, it will likely be expensive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191105_075016.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	304129 (pic shows older scale)
    I used a couple small electronics and then had an older M-5 balance scale 'tuned,' and use that almost exclusively.
    I bent a simple sheet metal shelf to position my smart phone at the right height to read the balance on my Lyman M-5 scale. Downloaded a free magnifying software program, and it is much easier to read. You also don't have to have the scale up so high. hc18flyer
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 09-06-2022 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Update on photo

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Never used anything but a mechanical scale. I’m hands on, low tech and love it. I make “bullets” for the need. It takes me away.
    Go hands on and craft your boolits.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master

I love my Hornady electronic scales.
    At 80 years old I don't think I qualify as the younger crowd.
    I have been loading for 60 years and use my mechanical scales as backup.

Boolit Master
    I have never felt the need to replace my mechanical powder scale . I comfortably drop the charges in the pan and trickle up for weighing charges , test my powder dispensers ,& bushings with ease .
    I have used a few electronic scales but I didn't really feel they were faster or more accurate except for a small electronic scale I use to weigh shot bushings charges .

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast