MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet lubes for high velocity rifle loads. . . .

Boolit Buddy

Bullet lubes for high velocity rifle loads. . . .

Good evening All,
    For several months I have played with rifle lubes in the 2250 FPS+ range and have read MANY posts on the various lubes. I have jus started to get into the high velocity rifle shooting with my .358 Winny and it appears to be the recipe is still the Felix Lube as the top contender. . .its been a few years??? I recently was given a batch of new bullets to try and they were lubed with Carnauba Red from White Label Lubes and it shot very well. Just want to see if something is out there for the DIY reloader. I've been using Ben's Red for all my pistol lubes and it does ok for the rifle stuff. . .fix'n to coat them with Ben's Liquid Lube and try them for the rifle loads over 2200 FPS. I'm really wanting a lube to handle my magnum pistol and HV rifle lube needs. Yes I know, I want my cake and to eat it too!!! I live/hunt in the Southeastern States and temps can go from mild to wild. What has worked best for you in GA, AL, NC, SC, and FL hunting conditions. . .say 20's to 80's in temp? Thank you for any input, and yes, I did use the search function - LOL. Just touching base for the latest and greatest. Thanks again and hope you're enjoying your holiday weekend.

Boolit Master

This is what I use in Florida with the Heat Index at 110; don't know if it will go any higher because I can't. You will need to use with a heater on your sizer.

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...13ce3589771f5d

One other lube I used for rifle and magnum pistol bullets. Doesn't work work on rounds below 1000 f/s. Definitely does not run.

https://bulletlube.com/

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A simple home-made lube which works well in my Garand at 2250 fps is 1 part Castrol synthetic ATF to four parts beeswax. No leading, great accuracy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I just ordered some LBT blue and blue soft to test in my 338 and 45 colt rifles. Do you guys think it will work ok?Ive been casting and reloading for 48 yrs but there are many new lubes out there and Im new to them. Used to use just the rcbs stuff. I have some lyman moly also.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeChief View Post
    I just ordered some LBT blue and blue soft to test in my 338 and 45 colt rifles. Do you guys think it will work ok?Ive been casting and reloading for 48 yrs but there are many new lubes out there and Im new to them. Used to use just the rcbs stuff. I have some lyman moly also.
    I've been using LBT Blue for over 35 years. It works GREAT in everything I shoot including my 338 mags. Carnauba Red works as well and in my K-hornet Lotak from Bullshop gives me the best accuracy. For the DIY guy speed green is a viable option.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeChief View Post
    LBT also makes some great lubes.

Boolit Bub
    If you are truly seeking "the latest and greatest" you need to go down a few sections to the coating and alternatives section. Slow pistol all the way up to full speed cf rifles and you only need one product. That product will not melt anywhere it is not 400+ degrees, no mess, and no naked lead bullets. Wrong section to say this I know, but you did ask for the latest and greatest.

Banner Sponsor

Carnauba Blue does great over a wide range of velocities leaving the barrel spotless.
    The first shot out of a cold bore seems to land just outside of the main group, but was still sub 1" for 10 shots...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BentSprings View Post
    If you are truly seeking "the latest and greatest" you need to go down a few sections to the coating and alternatives section. Slow pistol all the way up to full speed cf rifles and you only need one product. That product will not melt anywhere it is not 400+ degrees, no mess, and no naked lead bullets. Wrong section to say this I know, but you did ask for the latest and greatest.

Most of us old guy's understand powder coating and what it can do, but for me lubing with my Star Sizer is just easier and definitely faster.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Most of us old guy's understand powder coating and what it can do, but for me lubing with my Star Sizer is just easier and definitely faster.
    I am glad there is guys like you. Selling my Star and all the custom dies was tough enough and took awhile. Without you waxy greasy magical mystery goop guys it would have been impossible to sell. So thank you for being you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BentSprings View Post
    I am glad there is guys like you. Selling my Star and all the custom dies was tough enough and took awhile. Without you waxy greasy magical mystery goop guys it would have been impossible to sell. So thank you for being you.
    No you just mess something the bad side effects have not been figured out yet or being around the oven without a hazmat suit. Time will tell give it 100 years or so.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    No you just mess something the bad side effects have not been figured out yet or being around the oven without a hazmat suit. Time will tell give it 100 years or so.
    And all that automotive grease, super oil, and secretive waxes that guys melt in their cauldrons is perfectly safe? Read through them crazy lube threads, people actually have gotten sick and headachy making that stuff. Most guys seem to make it just to say it is "theirs" anyway. I cannot believe handling all them chemicals over and over again as you size/load/fire can be much better. Thanks, but I think I will stick to my powdered pop bottle "paint".