Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Vent Hood

Boolit Master

Vent Hood

In post #2508 I have a picture of the vent hood. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...h-pics/page126

The fan is a bathroom vent fan, purchased more for its sound level (50 cfm, 0.5 sones) than its ability to move air. The sound of fans is very annoying to me. I just tried it out last night for the first time. It’s very quiet, not loud enough to interfere with the radio or tv. No warnings needed about such devices in a reloading room. They’re really easy to turn off.

The first test was melting probably 4 pounds of wax-lubed boolits. That was a harsh test. The fan was mostly successful. A little smoke and odor escaped but not enough to be a problem. The smoke detector didn’t go off. I’ve had my router set the identical detector off in the workshop. Once the lube burned off I added a full load of unlubed boolits. After they fully melted I fluxed with sawdust. It easily extracted the smoke from the sawdust. I never smelled anything. Overall, it does its job well and I’m happy with it.
    Last edited by David2011; 09-05-2022 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Corrected sones, added cfm
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Sounds good, and it seems it'd be safe to use and not have to worry about harmful fumes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I'm doing a similar experiment with a hand dryer.
    eliminated the resistance that supplies hot air, added a corrugated pipe that goes outside, and now I have to build a support that keeps the box above the fumes. I hope it works ...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master
    I found a kitchen hood on the roadside and made a chemical hood from it. Raised it to my working level and gave it 3 sides, down to the table top. Works good. Ran a vent pipe outside and it seems to be keeping me healthy.

Boolit Master
    I used a 5 gallon bucket, 4” dryer duct and a 4” blower to vent my pot when I lived in Denver
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

I think most of the contributors here are scrougers and diy’ers to some degree but you three have a doctorate in it. Awesome!

Maybe others will tell of their home brewed ventilation. I never worried about lead fumes and I ingotize outside but recycling lubed boolits and fluxing with sawdust demand some smoke extraction. If I had to replace the fan I used, I would get one that would move around 100 cfm.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

David, I read this your words a big accomplishment, coming from a Country where someone once smoked away an enemy high-rank officer scrounging some tile lead from a roof to cast a slug, elevating since the scrounging to the status of Art
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 09-06-2022 at 03:39 AM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are worried about noise, you can mount a fan near where the exhaust exits. I have our bathroom fan in-line in the attic before exiting the house and you can’t hear a thing.

Boolit Master
    I also did the bathroom vent fan. It only sort of works. Better than nothing, but not much. Should have gone with kitchen range hood type.

Boolit Buddy

Been using a resourced kitchen hood fo several years now and am satisfied, but always looking for more. GW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you are worried about noise, you can mount a fan near where the exhaust exits. I have our bathroom fan in-line in the attic before exiting the house and you can’t hear a thing.
    I pretty much did just that. The ceiling is attached to the roof joists. There is no attic space so the fan has to be in the casting space.

Boolit Master

An unexpected benefit of the vent hood is heat extraction. It’s just not something that I gave any thought to but it really made a difference, especially when I turned on the hot plate.