Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Accuracy of Chrony F1

Accuracy of Chrony F1

I bought a Chrony F1 several years ago and I had some results that I considered questionable. Ran into a shooter at the range who apparently used his quite a bit on factory ammunition checking velocities. Some of his results seemed out of reasonable expectations as well so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has noticed readings that didn't seem right. In particular I'd like to hear from anyone who has tested a Chrony against another manufacturer's product.

Thanks for looking.

I have one of those with the old original cardboard screens.
    I have only used it once to clock some air rifle pellets, it seemed to pretty much align with what the air gun manufacturer claimed.
    I used it with a Gamo Whisper.

I have a Chrony F1 and quite a few years ago I was discussing the velocity I was getting from a TC 12 inch Contender in 44 mag with a friend. My friend has a Chrony that's tethered to a read out screen sitting on his bench rest. I don't know what model his is. We lined them up one behind the other and mine read a fair amount higher than his so mine seemed to be the one that was reading too high. I sent mine in to the company and when returned it read pretty much with his. Too bad the company is now out of business.

I had some numbers that seemed both high and low. I've heard they were pretty sensitive to how they are set up. The guy at the range was talking about hand loaded 7mm-08 reading faster than factory 300 Win mag and he wasn't shooting anything particularly light for bullets in the 7mm. Also had odd readings on some high BC factory ammunition for long range hunting. He had several boxes of factory ammo and his numbers showed an ES of up to 80 FPS on every box and I'd noticed something similar myself. Thinking about that on the way home is when I remembered my experience. Bad data is worse than no data so I may consider replacing the F1 if others have questions about the accuracy of theirs.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 09-05-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Boolit Master

I have had several different ones over the years including the F-1. I have noticed that when the batteries begin to get weak i starting getting unexpected readings. So far fresh batteries have always solved the problem.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle