MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a reasonably priced online lead source

Boolit Mold

Looking for a reasonably priced online lead source

Greetings from Minnesota,
    I’ve been scouring the internet for reasonable deals on lead with little success. First and foremost, what is an acceptable online price per pound? And secondly, are there any outfits that anyone knows of that offer constantly high quality lead at a reasonable price? I haven’t had a chance to hit up the local scrapyards or service stations for wheel weights yet, but would just like to have some on hand as soon as possible, as I’m just getting started with casting. Also, I see all kinds of lead on places like eBay, but once again, the prices are all over the map.
    Thanks in advance

Boolit Master
    There are several list members offering lead of various types for sale in the swap and sell section. You might have to go pack a few pages to view them.

Boolit Master
    I agree, here is the most affordable place to buy lead online. Your local scrap yard might be cheaper, but they don't know what they have. You have to know your stuff.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

There are two ways to go about this.
    (1) Scrounge lead from anywhere you can for as cheap as you can.
    (2) Buy pure metals and/or alloys of KNOWN content from vendors such as Roto-Metals, and others.

I prefer the 2nd option. Not because I'm rich, I'm not! But because I KNOW what I have and I can mix alloys as I choose to. Now, think about this - If you buy scrap, you'll need to smelt it down into ingots. My metal is already in ingot form. And CLEAN! Yours is not. Smelt, flux 3-4 times, pour your ingots. How much time did that take? Dollars and cents? OK, how much propane did you burn to smelt? I didn't use any. How much gasoline did you burn driving hther and yon to get your metal? I didn't use any. I order online, the FED-Ex truck backs into my driveway a couple days later and Charlie jumps out and says "Another load of lead, eh?". Yes, it costs money, but today, wheelweights are almost a thing of the past, sadly. They were the best choice for most bullet caster's needs. But, buy 25 pounds of linotype and 75 pounds of pure lead. Melt it all in one 100 pound pot. You now have 100 pounds of pure, clean 96-3-1 alloy. Same as yester-years wheelweights. Without the stink and mess of smelting down 130 pounds of weights and valvestems and greasy dirt and cigarette butts. I've done the scrap lead thing for forty years, no more. If COWW's were readily available, yeah, I'd do it again. But in my state, lead WW's were banned a LONG time ago. It's simpler for me to buy what I need and mix my own alloys.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Look up (The Captain) in the vendor forum. Best pricing.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator

Rotometals is a sponsor here, and I think their prices are fairly reasonable. At least you know what you're getting when you order from them. As previously mentioned, check S&S as there are several members offering various lead from time to time. Isotope cores make good bullet alloy too, and we see them pop up frequently in S&S.

https://www.rotometals.com/bullet-casting-alloys/

Boolit Master
    Missouri Bullet Company has 92-6-2 (Pb-Sb-Sn) lead for the lowest price alloy I’ve seen anywhere, but it doesn’t seem to be super clean. I purchased this alloy once.
    GT Bullets has 92-2-2 and 92-3-3. The 92-2-2 is the next fully mixed alloy I plan to buy. I have not purchased this alloy yet.
    If you want confidence in a super clean lead, go with Rotometals pure lead and mix in their foundary type. I mixed a 5lb foundary type ingot with 25lb of their pure lead… 30lb of pure would’ve been better for my needs.
    I’m surprised at how much people pay in the S&S section.
    The Captain is the next place I’ll go when I buy pure lead. I haven’t purchased from her yet.
    I have a decent supply of wheel weights, but that’s a lot of work for the value gained. I know I’ll use WW again though.
    Be careful about buying lead that could have contamination or impurities, especially if you’re new to casting. Dirty lead is not something you want to trouble shoot on your first go.
    Last edited by justindad; 09-05-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Master

I'm another vote for Roto-Metals. They are in the Cast Boolit Banner above.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Mold
    I got lucky at the local recycler/ scrap yard. Found some linotype for a good price and some lead water pipe for .95 a pound. If you are persistent it can be found. I also root around in the backstop of the local range. I’ll say I’ve been lucky so far.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiwit View Post
    I got lucky at the local recycler/ scrap yard. Found some linotype for a good price and some lead water pipe for .95 a pound. If you are persistent it can be found. I also root around in the backstop of the local range. I’ll say I’ve been lucky so far.
    We all did that when we started; fast forward 35 years there are quite a few of us that buy now just easier. But I did go through about 4500 pounds before I started buying.

Boolit Master

I'm still a scrapper, got a small tire shop who still manages to net me about 50% lead (COWW and about 8% SOWW) for $25 for a 5 gal, 150 pound bucket and I get my near near pure lead roofing stacks from a nice Mexican roofer for my 50/50. My tin still comes from Goodwill/etc pewter. But there is a certain amount of work and time required sourcing, sorting and melting. I'd be an unhappy caster if my lead alloy costs begin to get close to the cost of primer n powder per round. So far I am satisfied staying low velocity and have not needed to go harder than COWW with powder coat.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

"How much is too much" is up to you. You might keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace. A lot of scoundrels selling at $3,-BUT once in awhile you see some body that has several hundred pound for $! pound or less. Same is true of Craigslist. It is a hit and miss thing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I'm still a scrapper, got a small tire shop who still manages to net me about 50% lead (COWW and about 8% SOWW) for $25 for a 5 gal, 150 pound bucket and I get my near near pure lead roofing stacks from a nice Mexican roofer for my 50/50. My tin still comes from Goodwill/etc pewter. But there is a certain amount of work and time required sourcing, sorting and melting. I'd be an unhappy caster if my lead alloy costs begin to get close to the cost of primer n powder per round. So far I am satisfied staying low velocity and have not needed to go harder than COWW with powder coat.
    Been there done that and someday may have to back someday. In the 1980's worked at The Regency Sears while I was on shore duty; got almost every wheel weight from the tire center for three years. Ran out about 2015 or so.

Boolit Mold

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your suggestions on this. Being so new to casting, but not reloading is a bit overwhelming, but will figure it out in time
    Thanks again!

Ken

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your suggestions on this. Being so new to casting, but not reloading is a bit overwhelming, but will figure it out in time
    Thanks again!

Ken
    If you want to buy lead that will work great the first time, so your experience is great. Order from Missouri Bullets their lead is outstanding and very competitive priced for store purchased lead.

Where I live, scrap metal yards have all been taken over by the Commies and will no longer sell any scrap so now buy from Rotometals. I pay more but at least it's quality lead.

Boolit Master
    I bought soft lead from The Capitan several years ago and consider her an outstanding person to deal with.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

On Line???? cheap??? Ok

Scrape Yards Currently price of lead is falling, that's why you free shipping from Rotometal Pickup 4000 pound yesterday alot the pieces were mark 4% antimony came from machinery and counter balance weightsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	304549 1st yard cart full melted. Also found extruded lead bricks about 800 pounds pure lead.
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    Greetings from Minnesota,
    I’ve been scouring the internet for reasonable deals on lead with little success. First and foremost, what is an acceptable online price per pound? And secondly, are there any outfits that anyone knows of that offer constantly high quality lead at a reasonable price? I haven’t had a chance to hit up the local scrapyards or service stations for wheel weights yet, but would just like to have some on hand as soon as possible, as I’m just getting started with casting. Also, I see all kinds of lead on places like eBay, but once again, the prices are all over the map.
    Thanks in advance
    Well, you have to define “reasonable”. Personally I think lead is cheap anyway you look at it. 7000 grains to a pound, that’s a lot of cheap entertainment in my book. I buy all of my lead on eBay. I would use Rotometals for commercially blended and ready to use alloy. I mix COWW, isotope or other recycled lead with wiping solder, 50/50 solder, linotype, foundry type and pewter all purchased on eBay to approximate Lyman #2 alloy. I’ve probably been making my alloy for between $2 and $3 per pound for materials. If you factor in labor, Rotometals is very fair at $5 per pound and they support us.
    Last edited by 6622729; 09-26-2022 at 08:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast