RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: AA2230 load in 45-70

Boolit Buddy

AA2230 load in 45-70

I found a load for the 45-70 that works REALLY well in my Marlin 1895. 43 grains of AA2230 with a 405 grain jacketed soft point. Just shy of 1800 fps. Shoots about 2.3 inches at 100 yards. Bit of a thumper, but very accurate.
    Just thought I'd post this as powders for the 45-70 are still somewhat hard to find and AA2230 seems to be available. It's not a go-to powder when I think of the round, but this load shoots very well for me.

Boolit Master
    I shoot quite a bit of 45-70 and I haven’t found any difficulty finding powder. I also use a 405g bullet….Rem JSP. I’ve found the 45-70 to be one of the least fussy cartridges to load for that I’ve owned. It seems to like about anything you put in it. I’ve had great luck with many different powders. I regularly use 2400, Rel 7, 4198, 3031, and several others. My Win High Wall will group sub 1moa with all the ones I just listed. I haven’t tried AA2230 yet, but I’m sure it will work also.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded some 405 grain jacketed rounds for an elk hunt with 2230 a number of years back. Don't remember the powder charge but were loaded to about 1850fps. I remember shooting a coyote on the hunt at about 400 yards. Hit him on the first shot, impressed the heck out my guide. I have long since pulled the bullets in the unused rounds. I do remember they killed on the front and crippled on the back fired from my Browning 1886. Used to shoot 300 JHP loaded to 2200 for deer, don't do that anymore either. Trapdoor level loads or lighter now with cast boolits. Have several hundred jacketed .458 bullets I will likely never use.

I used 2230 under the Gould hp for many years. Always shot great in my Guide Gun and a Handi rifle.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.