Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Winchester 94 issue

Winchester 94 issue

Gentlemen my friend wanted me to look at a win 94 30/30 that the action wouldn’t fully open . I told him I’d take a look at the ole gal . So I start to get it apart and I’ve found the issue, but the solution is making me scratch my head . It appears a screw that hold a “guide bar” in the inside of the action has backed the entire way out this bar is on the loading gate side and slightly above it the screw threads into a threaded hole right above the loading gate.
    Here’s about the best pic I could take of it from the bottom of the receiver the screwdriver is pointing at the screw head. Anyone tell me how I can screw that back in. Without the tiniest of angled screwdrivers ? I’m at a loss on this but I’m not super familiar with lever actions and how to completely strip the receiver . And since it ain’t my rifle I am asking for some help .

Thanks Tim Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9287B920-2761-45DD-84E3-A15DFB80E6AD.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	304037
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I looked up the schematics that bar is the cartridge guide bar if it’s any help for a solution

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure the screw for the guide bar on the left side is opposite the screw you want to tighten. Remove the loading gate and take the screw out of the left guide bar and use a very thin screw driver through that hole to tighten the right side screw (use a drop of locktite). Then, replace the left screw and the loading gate. Kind of a PITA, but not as bad as making an angled screw driver.

Boolit Buddy

If you can still close the action, remove the screw on the upper left side of the receiver and knock out the pin coupling the lever to the bolt. Then remove the lever and associated bits out the bottom. That may allow you to slide the bolt itself out the back and gain better access.

Noah

Maybe get an eyeglass repair kit from the dollar store and heat it up and bend it to fit. May only last for this job but should be cheap.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried a pair of long tweesers with teeth for griping ?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

You can either get a set of these or make one out of mild steel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bent screw.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	304042
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Have you tried a pair of long tweesers with teeth for griping ?
    . . . or the jaws covered in heat shrink tubing for grip.

Noah

Thanks all , the more I looked at it I figured it would be a pain . I’m gonna watch some videos and learn how to strip it down to be able to access the inside of the receiver . Still very close quarter in there though . Yes to make a small angled tool shouldnt be a issue if I can’t assess it through the opposite side screw hole I’m gonna need to tighten that side anyways as it’s a little loose as well.
    Have no idea how those screw would have loosened by themselves my old 1928 era carbine never had that issue .
    Again thanks all
    Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    You can either get a set of these or make one out of mild steel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bent screw.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	304042
    ^^This^^… I made one from an Allen wrench once in an emergency situation. I filed down the tip until it fit.

Best to use some Loctite when you put it back together.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    Pretty sure the screw for the guide bar on the left side is opposite the screw you want to tighten. Remove the loading gate and take the screw out of the left guide bar and use a very thin screw driver through that hole to tighten the right side screw (use a drop of locktite). Then, replace the left screw and the loading gate. Kind of a PITA, but not as bad as making an angled screw driver.
    This is the assembly/dis-assembly procedure,
    No angled screw drivrs used , the right guide (problem here) was installed first by accessing the screw in question thru the frame opening hole in the left side,,that empty hole was the screw hole for the left guide.
    Left guide installed then by reahing in form the right side of the fram thru the empty loading gate window.

So if you can dis assemble loading gate,,then remove left guide & screw,,you should be able to reach that prblem screw in the rt guide by going in thru the now epty left guide screw hole.

IF the bolt is in thw way,,run it closed and punch out the link pin from rt to left that the lever arm secures to the bolt.
    Remove the stock so you can then remove the main spring,,then remove the hammer screw.
    Then pull the lower tang assembly from the frame,,,the lever will come with it.
    Lift the hammer out of the frame.
    The bolt should come back out of the frame.
    Now you can remove the loading gate, then get at the
    Left guide screw through the opening and remove the
    left Guide.
    Finally, through the empty Left Guide screw hole, reach through with a very slim screw driver and tighten the offending Right guide scew up.

For a screw driver, I made a simple one from 3/32 dia drill rod, grind a screw driver point on it.
    Harden & temper makes for longer use life.
    A small wooden handle makes like easy, but the first one I made & used I simply bent the handle end around into an L.

Boolit Buddy
    Chapman makes a gunsmith screwdriver set that includes an offset ratcheting screwdriver which may be the solution to your problem. Their number “8900 set”..

Boolit Master

Please be careful with the Loctite, there may be a reason to remove the screw someday. I had a Ruger single six sent in for blue and I could not get it apart because the customer used red loctite, even on the grips.

What John said, with the caveat that the proper loctite for firearm screws comes in a red bottle (but, the loctite inside the bottle is blue)
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Blue locktite is number 242, that one will break using only handtools. At least the stuff I have does. Frank

Banned
    for screws use Never-SEEZ. i use it to mount scope mounts and rings. it has never came off my guns for 25+ years.

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Seez-NS...2481383&sr=8-2

when i was out of Never-SEEZ at work, i would Teflon pipe dope. it was great for taking off lug nuts on my skid steer.

https://www.amazon.com/AST-PPD-25108...2481275&sr=8-2

Thanks all for the help everyone I got the Winchester all stripped down and the offending screws tightened up nice and tight as I could with the tiny screwdriver and blue lock tight , should be good for the next generation or three .

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Please be careful with the Loctite, there may be a reason to remove the screw someday. I had a Ruger single six sent in for blue and I could not get it apart because the customer used red loctite, even on the grips.
    Red Loctite is great stuff - you can fix all kinds of loose, ill fitting things with it, but after so doing should attach a note to the fixed item - cuz its gonna take some serious heat to get it apart. I mounted a floppy loose threaded barrel from a wrecked '73 winchester into a salvaged 92 action with red bearing mount about 1968, my favourite hog gun for many years - full house smokeless loads under 44 mag j boolits - we rebarreled that old girl about ten years ago and still had to resort to the torch to get that old tube out (I didnt write a note but I remembered setting it up in a cardboard fruit box jig to cure when I did it)