Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pin gauges

Boolit Master

Pin gauges

Any good?
    Would like to be able to check my pistols and revolvers.
    I don't have a big budget

https://a.co/d/bWGxaTb
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

Wrong size for cylinders and bores. This size is better for that application. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H8SJ92...ding=UTF8&th=1

What is your intended usage? Some of the imports are very good for tolerances others not so much.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-04-2022 at 10:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    I do a little hobby machining work and I find them to be a great luxury to have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Wrong size for cylinders and bores. This size is better for that application. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086H8SJ92...ding=UTF8&th=1

What is your intended usage? Some of the imports are very good for tolerances others not so much.
    Yes, cylinders and bores.
    Thanks for the link, didn't realize I picked the wrong size set
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    Yep, any of the .250"-.500" will serve many needs, just really helps also to have a GOOD MICROMETER (not vernier slider) to confirm what your plunging.

Boolit Buddy
    You can buy just the sizes you need from Mcmaster Carr for $4 a piece if you on a tight budget. Other industrial suppliers should carry them as well. ZZ class of fit should be fine for the application.

https://www.mcmaster.com/plug-gauges/length~2/class~zz/
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input.
    I do have a good micrometer.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master

I was going to suggest what kenton did above. I have a set of gauges and find that out of the almost 200 pins, I've only used a handful to date and I've had these for over 5 years. Yes they're Chicom, but every one that I've put a mic to have been spot on.

Vendor Sponsor

I get my singles from Meyer Gauge Co. For gun work I find .001" increments WAY too coarse for accurate measurements, I always get the half sizes, I use these as much as the .001" pins. Meyer doesn't make ZZ minus sets anymore, they have upped their tooling and only offer .0001" or less tolerances but you can still get the ZZ minus -.0002" pins if you order single pins. I DO recommend the -.0002" under pins. You learn to "feel" the drag against the pin and this is how to know you are at actual diameter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.