Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: The "Old Rifle Range"

Boolit Buddy

The "Old Rifle Range"

Took a hike today on conservation land that was a military rifle range in a past life. Located in Concord MA, better known for some earlier military squirmishes there, the new range built for use by Concord Company 1 of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia was first used on October 29,1910. It was also used extensively for US Army training during WW1. The range likely saw little use after 1926 when a larger military training facility was opened just NW of Boston. The main trail bypasses the remains of berms for 200, 300, 600 and 1000yd targets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0841 (1).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	304020

The firing point was at this spot about 100yds off the road that was leveled with fill taken from the hillside behind me. There are no remains of a cover or structure here.

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	304021

200yd berm.

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	304022

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	304023

300yd berm.

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	304025

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	304026

600yd berm.

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	304027

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	304028

Over the top of 600yd berm and close up of angle iron and concrete hits.

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	304029

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	304030

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	304031

Looking back at 600yd berm.

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	304032

1000yd berm.

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	304033

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	304034

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	304035

I hoped to find a few spent relics but the berms were hard packed so it would take more than a stick to dig any out. Maybe next time I'll forage in the duff well behind the last berm and maybe find some bullets lying on the surface. Anyway, it was a nice day for a short hike exploring these remains and imagining the activity here during an era when firearms and marksmanship were held in much higher esteem.
    Last edited by NEKVT; 09-05-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Boolit Master

I enjoyed you post. Good story.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    At a local range ,you find bullets in the gullys and washes,just like nuggets where heavy rain has washed them out .....at long range ,a lot of bullets bounce over the backups ,and end up scattered.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting. Thank you !! Nice photos of our area's history.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Greats photos and history. I lived in the next town for a short period, but I never visited that old range. But I will.
    I trained at the other range you mentioned - Camp Curtis Guild.
    "In 1998, the outdoor firing facility was closed after a stray bullet nearly struck a Lynnfield mother and her toddler. Between 1967 and 1998, nineteen stray bullets were found in the abutting neighborhood."

Boolit Master
    Nice thread but please COMSEC on the other stuff, the houses are getting close to our fifty year old range.

Boolit Master
    ???

Please...this is not a hijack attempt. Possibly also of interest is a site named Camp Hale in Colorado. It is above the 9,000 ft. elevation level, and many have never heard of it or know its story. I visited it in 1981. You'll find several internet articles about it if you care to Google.

It was constructed in WW II near Leadville, CO., for the training of the 10th Mountain Division. They were designated as ski troops and high-altitude fighters, and earned their motto "Climb to Glory" in the Italian campaign. The camp was quite substantial, with the use of lots of brick, concrete, and wooden barracks. It had kitchens, a powerhouse, and barracks that were largely heated with coal. Since it was located in sort of a basin one complaint was that the smoke hung heavily in the air in the wintertime.

When I visited, the rifle range was still very much in evidence. As I recall (getting old) there were abutments to 500 yds. They had concrete dugouts for the target pullers, and the insides were covered with graffiti consisting of lots of names and dates (1940s) of the G.I.s who had been there, including the ubiquitous "Kilroy". I scrounged around the firing line hoping to find a .30-06 case for a souvenir, but no luck. I did take a dozen still photos, but can't post them (pre-digital). Many photos of the ruins can be found on the internet.

Many of the G.I.s who trained there and went on to fight their way through Europe later returned to view their training camp, as ex-G.I.s often do. They were astounded to find that not too long after the division left for combat the U.S. Govt. had demolished the entire camp as being of no further use. It seems almost unbelievable that the Govt. would have built such a substantial base and then destroyed it after only a few years. The foundations of many of the buildings are still in evidence, and today it is a Historical Site and campground.

How many of these disused military ranges exist around the Country? Many, I suspect. Myself, I endured Basic Training at Ft. Ord, CA. They had some very nice rifle ranges situated along the Monterey Bay with sand dunes as backstops. Much of the base has become low-income housing, and I suspect that the ranges are blending back into the landscape.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Greats photos and history. I lived in the next town for a short period, but I never visited that old range. But I will.
    I trained at the other range you mentioned - Camp Curtis Guild.
    I worked in Concord for 12 years and didn't know about the Old Rifle Range until spotting it from the "air" a few days ago on flightradar24. Went to IHMSA shoots at CCG in the early '80s. Being less than 12 miles from downtown Boston in was inevitable the firearms ranges would be moved indoors.
    Last edited by NEKVT; 09-17-2022 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    COMSEC- Communications Security. Talking about rounds leaving the range, striking individuals and found laying around outside of "controlled area". Okay, out there now. The first official controlled range I shot on with my father as a child closed when I was 10 or so due to encroachment and is now soccer fields. The range I have been at since the late seventies has homes on two sides now and at great expense to the club upgraded orientation to hopefully buy time with the "we did not know and were not told there was a gun range there" with the new home owners.

Boolit Master
    NEKVT,
    Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. I never knew about a military range in Concord, but I spent 26 happy years at Camp Curtis Guild in Reading, MA. For 10 years I trained 100 or so agents twice annually at Camp Curtis. It was a wonderful facility run my great people. I will always recall what a great facility it was to me.

Adam

Great fun with a metal detector!