RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This drives me nuts!

Boolit Master

This drives me nuts!

OK I must have one of those compulsive disorders or something. I’m wondering if this bothers any of you guys? Go to load up some 68 grain 5.56 ammo. One box to be exact. One box equals 100 bullets. Well clean up size 100 cases. maybe one or two extra, sometimes I like to make a dummy case set up for the col if I know I’m gonna load a lot of in the future. Get the how to measure all set up with correct weight. And here’s where the problem occurs!!! You’re all set ready to get started going to prime up 100 cases, cause primers also come 100 per package! And you drop and lose a primer!!!! Cases no problem put them in the rest of the cases. But what do you do with one bullet!!!!!!!! Do you go ahead and open up another sleeve of primers? Then that leaves at 99 the next time you go to load something. So I ask you again what are you supposed to do with one bullet!
    Drive me nuts!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I sweep, then chase all around my area with a air hose just so I can find that primer
    before it gets too much of a head start in its efforts to run away and hide.

What gave me fits years ago, sometimes I got one, and one time got two extras in boxes of Sierras.
    Not only did the primer thing happen, but the extra round or two that didn't fit in a plastic ammo box
    sort of stressed me out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Oh Yeah. I absolutely hate to lose a primer or have an empty slot in a box of ammo. It's silly but it bugs the snot out of me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I sweep, then chase all around my area with a air hose just so I can find that primer
    before it gets too much of a head start in its efforts to run away and hide.

What gave me fits years ago, sometimes I got one, and one time got two extras in boxes of Sierras.
    Not only did the primer thing happen, but the extra round or two that didn't fit in a plastic ammo box
    sort of stressed me out.
    Yep every box of Sierra I’ve opened up has an extra round in it. I always figured that was the make up the dummy round did you get hold onto so you had to combined overall length the next time you wanted to load that particular type of bullet. That justifies it not fit in the ammo box. Cause I agree that drives me just as crazy! Hundred round ammo box and 101 rounds. I fixed that, I just quit using ammo boxes to store ammo in. Not Hornaday they’re too cheap. If the box says 100 that’s what’s in the box!!

Boolit Master
    Glad to see it’s not just me!!

Boolit Grand Master

Doesn't bother me in the least. What's the problem of having a partial box of primers?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Best thing I did for myself in the new reloading room was to lay a vinyl plank floor. Makes cleaning before and after easy. It’s lots easier to find dropped things.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

That might have bothered me years ago, but not much bothers me now.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I keep an old white towel in my priming area for that reason. If you drop a primer, the towel cushions and catches it. Do the same thing in my 'smithing area to catch detent balls, springs and screws.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    I gave up years ago and start with an uneven number of primed cases cuz stuff happens like 6 primers sideways today.

I load 200 primers at a time in APS strips, whats left after priming all the brass goes back in the strip bag.

I do insist on full ammo boxes, componants can do whatever they friggen want to, they will anyway!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    I keep an old white towel in my priming area for that reason. If you drop a primer, the towel cushions and catches it. Do the same thing in my 'smithing area to catch detent balls, springs and screws.
    This works fantastic! I just started doing this!

Boolit Master

I only use ammo boxes for transport to the range. Ammo coming off the press gets stored in plastic coffee cans or nut jars. The only thing that goes directly into a box is .243 and 6mm ARC. I'm a little pickier about those.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    For some reason . . . . I do not think you are alone . . .

Never bothered me except that the dang things are WAY overpriced now.

Partial boxes of mismatched primers and boolits all through my supplies!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Call me i will send you a primer life is too short to get worried about a primer. What fires me up is to prep 100 cases and when you get to the bottom of the box of bullets you find they only sent you 99.

Boolit Master
    So on the outer side of the problem , a few loaded rounds left in a almost empty box of ammo crushes my soul ......
    A odd tray of primers , not so much

Boolit Master
    I always search for the lost primer, I don't a loose primer in my reloading room to get detonated by accident and start a fire.

It always reminds me of someone else who left the 99 and searched for the one.

I do hate to lose a primer especially these days, but a box with 99 primers doesn’t bother me.

Boolit Grand Master

I hate to loose primers ... when they were cheap and available if one dropped on the floor I simply took a spare out of my "spare primer box" and would just keep on keeping on ...
    Once a year or five I might clean up some and sweep up the floor , pick up everything in dust pan and pick out all the live primers ... these went in "spare primer box" .

Now if I drop a primer I stop and hunt that sucker down ...play Wanted Dead or Alive and get my stinking primer !

I have always kept a box or two of primers for "Spares" ... you loading 50 or 100 , have primers and bullets counted out ... loose one ...simply grab one from the Spare Primer Box.
    I guess I'm not OCD enough to let a box of 99 primers bother me ... I just use that box as my spare primer box .

Boolits are never a problem ...just have / keep a large supply on hand and take what you need .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My thing is 49 of all the same head stamp and one odd ball. Just can not do it! If it ain't 50 it ain't a done deal.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast