RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW instructor

CCW instructor

Mrs.Thumbcocker is taking the Illinois CCW course. She has been motivated by mass shootings in public places like malls. She has been shooting revolvers for over 30 years.

She goes to class today and this happens.

Instructor says Stryker fired pistols are the best defensive arm ever.

He refused to let her do the simulation from a Weaver stance because " Weaver is not consistent ". (I have seen her targets lo these many years and would beg to differ).

He doesn't like revolvers. (Mrs.Thumbcocker's pride and joy is a pinned and recessed 4" model 19)

He wants everyone to shoot with both eyes open regardless of how well they shoot with the non-shooting eye squinted or closed)

I short he wants everyone to shoot the way he deems best and doesn't seem to care about them using what they are familiar with or what allows them to put hits on target.

Mrs.Thumbcocker is annoyed but has another 8 hours tomorrow. I will try to keep her in a good mood.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Is it worth it to get a CCW in Illinois?
    I was under the impression there are few places they allow carry.
    I was also under the impression the no gun signs are force of law and the antis were handing the no gun signs out like candy.
    Of course, the rural areas are probably not so bad.
    I think my nephew who lives in rural Illinois got one.

There is a whole lot of Illinois that ain't Chicago. We just don't get much press.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    There is a whole lot of Illinois that ain't Chicago. We just don't get much press.
    Amen. Same in NY. It all ain’t NYC.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Opinions vary. There are other instructors offering different classes. I've always been of the opinion that one is best armed with what one is the most proficient with and feels best armed with.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Too bad you already paid for the course. I would definitely give him poor feedback once he has signed the appropriate paperwork.

One thing I learned as a Rangemaster is that not everything works for everyone.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I would prefer to see people use what they are familiar with and know, its mush safer and they do better. Trying to change just before or during the coarse is a recipe for failure.

I would drive him nuts as I shoot a handgun right handed and left eye due to medical issues.

Boolit Buddy
    A few ccw instructors have given me flack for shooting revolvers but generally shut their trap after seeing my scores.

Eric

Boolit Master
    All i can say is < they have her money< does she want that signature on the paperwork ?? Once she has that she can do what she deams proper?? I hold many national reckords with a firearm>> i will not argue with these people>> get the paperwork signed and then go from there>> she only needs to pass this so called class??
    Then she is good to go??

Boolit Master
    Not every certified instructor is qualified to instruct. Having the certification only means you have passed the class & requirements to teach.

I've been an instructor of many things my entire life.
    BSA; Teaching boys about Scouting & the things they wanted to learn to earn Eagle & beyond.
    SCUBA; I used to be a "Master Instructor Trainer."
    Firearms; NRA certified. Specialize in "Ladies Only" clinics.
    Hunter Safety Instructor for the State.

I've had students teach me things, and I've had students that defied "normal" methods of things. As an instructor,, my job is to teach,, yet to also present material in a manner to which they can take what's presented & go forward.
    No 2 people are alike,, and no "One way fits all!"

Close-minded people won't change.

Get your wife through the class,, get the certification, and then make sure any & all people who you know who may want a CCW class to look elsewhere.

That sounds like one of them deals where you smile, nod, get your license, move on, and live happily ever after.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I can understand teaching a basic marksmanship to the point of safe gun handling, as far as accuracy and form should be up to the individual.
    The main emphasis should be on where it is legal to carry and when it is appropriate to draw your weapon and the ramifications if you do draw your weapon.
    Also, what to do if you are involved in a shooting.
    Anything beyond this is a dog and pony show.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I hold many national reckords with a firearm
    What disciplines do you compete in? We may have crossed paths.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    It's alright, m'lady, you'll just have a story to tell! I took the class, scored 249 out of 250, and then didn't send the paperwork in! Lol.
    The second time, years later, I took the class, scored 243 (highest score in the class) and did do the paperwork and fingerprints! I have the license.
    Here's the tech: first class was with a 5906. I had been shooting hunterspistol matches competitively. Second class, I shot my new XDm that I got for working 10 years at the same job. It's the only pistol in my collection that would qualify to this guy's specs! With a 5" barrel and fiber-optic front sight? It's a really quick production race gun! The young instructor stood close by and looked it over like he wanted to see it. Lol!
    These classes have more to do with access to a form of defense than your level of expertise. They just want handgun proficiency.
    Wonder if I could have shot my Blackhawk in 41 magnum? That would have sent them running to the exits! Lol!!

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    It's alright, m'lady, you'll just have a story to tell! I took the class, scored 249 out of 250, and then didn't send the paperwork in! Lol.
    The second time, years later, I took the class, scored 243 (highest score in the class) and did do the paperwork and fingerprints! I have the license.
    Here's the tech: first class was with a 5906. I had been shooting hunterspistol matches competitively. Second class, I shot my new XDm that I got for working 10 years at the same job. It's the only pistol in my collection that would qualify to this guy's specs! With a 5" barrel and fiber-optic front sight? It's a really quick production race gun! The young instructor stood close by and looked it over like he wanted to see it. Lol!
    These classes have more to do with access to a form of defense than your level of expertise. They just want handgun proficiency.
    Wonder if I could have shot my Blackhawk in 41 magnum? That would have sent them running to the exits! Lol!!

Ron
    I love the S&W 5906; I have a police trade-in that I cleaned up and put laser engraved Turkish walnut grips on it.
    I also installed a Crimson Trace holographic green dot sight on it. It functions perfectly with everything I feed it.

Illinois must be way different than anywhere south. Concealed carry permits in every state I've heard of are typically based in what the law is in that state concerning using a gun. Here in AR is less than 8 hours with roughly an hour of pistol instruction, and that is mainly shooting the required rounds on target. If you use a revolver, you are not licensed to carry anything else but a revolver here. Most will use a semi, and when my wife went, the instructor let most use his glock. And yes it was the best thing and only thing to buy..

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would prefer to see people use what they are familiar with and know, its mush safer and they do better. Trying to change just before or during the coarse is a recipe for failure.

I would drive him nuts as I shoot a handgun right handed and left eye due to medical issues.
    I also shoot right-handed/left-eyed. Drove my instructor nuts. It's just the way I am, being left eye dominant. Is this uncommon?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

pulled post
    Last edited by jonp; 08-28-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

He also had them shooting on the simulator without using the sights. Goes against everything she has been doing for decades. Jeff Cooper would not be impressed.

Boolit Master

The guy I took my CPL class from was pretty lax he made sure everyone could safely handle the firearm and knew how to use the sights , the class centered on the legal aspects of carry . Two people in my class had an issue getting licensed one was in a bar fight in San Francisco while in the navy in the 1950's and the state listed it as a "domestic fight" under Bidens crime bill. He was told he was out of luck unless he sued the state of California I have no idea if he did . The other could not for months get a clean fingerprint check over a year later he was finally cleared and got his CPL . The person that did the prints for the county Said I am not supposed to tell you this but one of your fingers has the same print as someone else that is why all the problems.

The next group that did training at the same range were "jerks" wanted everyone to learn tactical shooting and to shoot very well to pass. They quickly folded as people got the word around not sure if they tried over again or not ?

In 2019 I helped run the range while a class went though I was surprised at the poor gun handling by several of the students I talked tp the instructor later he did not notice people where actually pointing pistols in the direction of others ....
    Over half that class was shooting .22 rimfire pistols some of them shot very well others hit the paper most of the time.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast